chris1949

Need help with recovering couch

Chris King
10 years ago
I want to get this old lounge suite on right (paler colour) recovered to go with the rest of the decor, but an having trouble with what colours would go with it. I like the idea of mix and match. Could you help with any suggestions of colours or patterns. Thanks

Comments (93)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Will either of these floor plans work? Is there enough room so that a chair is not covering the bench? Is there enough space between the 2 separate sofa sets? Please tell me what you're thinking?
  • Chris King
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You have inspired me LB. I have been shifting furniture and come up with this. You can see why the old suite needs recovering. I appreciate your thoughts.
  • Related Discussions

Need help with recovering couch

Q

Comments (7)
    Have you thought about getting slipcovers made? If you wanted to go with a cottage look white or off white would look good with your rustic fireplace. Don't be afraid of the white, slipcovers that are made well will last a long time, and can be washed even bleached. I have had mine for probably 9 years now. Love that you can wash them. I would skirt the bottom of the slipcovers. I think it would really transform them. You could bring in some blue accents with pillows, etc. Some pictures on your wall with some ocean blues would look nice with some rustic touches like antlers, shells etc.
    ...See More

Need help with renovating my kitchen

Q

Comments (2)
    More pictures
    ...See More

Need help with living room decor/style

Q

Comments (5)
    A few simple steps can give your room a lot more vibe! Try pairing the drapes with sheer curtains, that will give the window more depth. The tv wall could be your accent wall, a dark blue would actually work very well. If the TV has backing, I would hang it on the wall, a few inches above the furniture piece. The two frames above the white dresser should go below the wall clock. Instead, a large art piece (about the length of the dresser) would complement that wall much better. I would also replace the coffee table with a rectangular, heavier glass and metal table, placed in the center. Also pillows. Pick up colors from your art work and the accent wall and use those to find pillows to decorate your sofas. Hope this inspires :-)
    ...See More

Need help with Kids Lounge

Q

Comments (3)
    hi, I have been working on the same type of project for my teen recently and from my perspective the room need color. like what you could do is add colored pillows like to the white couch add two colored pillows and for the red add colors that go nice with red, and another suggestions would be to add curtains to the room. also you could add colored rugs but the thing about adding color to the room is you have to make sure it looks good together! good luck
    ...See More
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I suggest moving sofa and chairs very close to each other so that the arms are almost touching one another.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    White sofa and chairs are 'too separated' from forming a group. Kinda look like they are just stuck anywhere. Sorry:) It doesn't look inviting or easy to have conversations. Doesn't work for me. Not inviting! How much seating do you need? Angles don't work like that, sorry :))
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Can you post another pic way back from the other room? To see the entire room? Both sides please. Need to see the pathway spaces between the furniture and entry into the space to get to the bench too.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Idea, can you remove the bookcase so that a chair can slide back into that space? Or is there a hearth?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    The blue sofa set kinda looks like a doctor's office. Sorry. MO
    Chris King thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I think you might need to make some very hard choices. There really is too much furniture for this small room, especially with the bench and angled wall, position of the fireplace and your curved steps. Difficult to place so much furniture and have it look and feel good. :)

What sofa set do you prefer most?
    Can you part with some of the sofas or chairs?
    How many seats will be needed at one time? Always large groups in the room at the same time?
    Do you want a room full of furniture that is there to provide seating only?
    Do you want it to function nicely?
    Do you want it to feel good and be inviting?
    Do you want it to be the best it can be visually, be inviting and be comfortable?

Many of my above questions were not answered, so it is difficult to know your needs :))
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    These are some furniture arrangements. Only one grouping, not two separate groups.
    Will not work for you, but give you an idea of placements and different fabrics and how they're used.
    Ellen Grasso Inc · More Info

Laguna Cottage · More Info
  • Chris King
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi LB, Thanks for suggestions. My feeling is the top picture of yours is too square and formal. Please see new photos and hope they help give you an idea of pathways, but they could go anywhere really. The angled door in the lounge is hardly used. Most people come in from up the top door as seen in picture 3.
    To answer the other questions, no the book case cannot be moved as it is built into a cavity.
    I thought also about the blue suite where it was. Looks far too square.
    Yes we often have large groups at one time, but guess 8-10 would be the average.
    I would like it to look good and be inviting.
    I would want it to be the best it can be visually, be inviting and be comfortable.
    I really appreciate your time and help
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    If anyone else can fit all this furniture in this room, to be visually appealing, inviting and comfortable (Chris's needs) .... please post your ideas
    Ok here's the way I see it. I apologize for being straightforward.
    Many of us on houzz know about design, styles, co-ordinating, function, floor planning, comfortablility, aesthetics and rooms that work and feel good.

I'm so sorry for being blunt. Your placements don't work. To me it looks like you've moved in with two different living room sets that don't work together well. You are having difficulty liking this room which I guess is why you asked for houzz help.

It looks like you're moving in and the mover just put them anywhere to be better placed later. The room is jumbled, not convenient for gathering and conversation convenience. There is no design plan and furniture is just put in an open spot because it fits. It is not pleasing or inviting. Nothing connects to anything. There is too much furniture to make all the pieces fit in this awkward room.

I feel that you must eliminate some furniture, hence the question ... what are you willing to move out of the room? Which set do you like the best? I think you will be wasting money on reupholstery on any piece at this point. You need to have a set floor plan that works.

I have one more floor plan idea but that means eliminating furniture. I am at a loss on how to comfortably, aesthetically and functionally make all the pieces work. I don't have any other solutions.

Two different styles and different furniture colors and fabrics are not working. Getting reupholstery for the white set will not solve this problem. I'm sorry :) Trying very hard to help!

P.S. There are 3 chairs that are not square in both floor plans. Both plans will seat 11 people. If really needed, possibly two ottomans directly in front of the fireplace and in front of the coffee table may be an option.

Pathways do not go anywhere. It's awkward to weave in and out around furniture in a room to get to the furniture. And does not look good either.

It can be a lovely room! Need the proper floor plan!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    The fireplace is the focal point of the room. A sofa or two chairs must be parallel to the fireplace for your room to work. Angled furniture directly opposite the fireplace does not make this fireplace focal. I feel this room is a compromise with give and take.

# 3 Floor Plan
    2 blue sofas, 1 blue chair
    1 white sofa
    2 - garden stools for coffee tables

Seats 11 people

This will keep 2 blue sofas and 1 blue chair
    Reupholster the white sofa only ........................ saves money
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/3-floor-plan-contemporary-floor-plan-los-angeles-phvw-vp~5291657
    Good Luck with your room!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    One other thing to keep in mind is that a formal room most often uses formal fabrics and appropriate accessories. The layout of the room does not dictate formality. Formality is in the choice of fabrics and accessories used in the room. If you use twill, linen, duck or cotton fabrics for the reupholstery (leather is an option), that will ensure a casual feeling. Hope I helped. Good Luck :))

P.S. You can not get a finished view of the room or functional needs, without using the end tables in the places where needed. Furniture needs end tables, chairs need end table. You have no room for all the furniture and end tables aren't in your arrangement either.
  • Chris King
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That looks good. Thanks so much. I lay awake allot during the night thinking of this.Have come to a decision that material I was thinking of (The 3 blues above) would look good on the white couch , but is too formal to match other couch. Do you think that is where I was going wrong? I might even just buy another two-seater to match the blue and get rid of this lovely old one That I did love. You have been most helpful and I really appreciate that. Thanks heaps and come and stay if ever in New Zealand.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Thanks Chris! Wow, will probably never get there. Thanks for the invite.
    I think you need to pare down the number of furniture pieces.!!!!!!!! That's the mistake!!!!!!!! That's why it's not working!!!!! The fabric didn't work because you shouldn't do any more blue (NO MATCHING) if you are keeping the blue set and yes, wrong choice of fabric. I think # 3 floor plan is best for you!!!

MUST HAVE A FLOOR PLAN ... It will be useless if you don't make this decision and stick to it !!

1 - What floor plan are you going to use? .... It CAN'T WORK in any other ways, I promise you!
    2 - if you change any of the floor plans suggested, it WILL NOT WORK, be COMFORTABLE or FEEL RIGHT!
    3 - the room is TOO SMALL for all of it! You don't need all of it to get the seating requirements
    4 - if you love the blue set, all you need is 1 sofa (plan # 3) The other set has seen it's day :)
    5 - don't ignore access to the bench seating. Blue and terra cotta pillows are 'needed' on the bench! People have to move around in the space or it becomes annoying! People won't sit in the furniture.
    6 - get a 'new' ... two or ... three-seated sofa, or only upholster the white one. Spend the money on other tables needed etc. You need to clear out a lot of other stuff. You are overcrowding yourself.
    NO MORE BLUE, You need to have a 'neutral solid' fabric. Beige that is in the blue set, or soft terra cotta in blue set.
    7 - buy solid or 'print pillows' to place on the new sofa - using the 'blue' colors and 'terra cotta' colors
    8 - This will bring the furniture and room together, will feel right, look right, and be functional.
    9 - need tables for sofa and chairs, unless you have some that are 'not higher' than the chair arm
    10- Don't spread the sofas and chairs far apart from each other - need CLOSE GROUPINGS for comfort, conversation, but separate.

P.S. I would love to see # 3 Floor Plan in a pic. Only use the white sofa. Place some tables that you have. Print out the floor plan and try to follow it. I really really think that you will understand much better what I've suggested. Visually and for comfort for the room. Other stuff out of the room or place near your steps. I'd like to see for myself if this is a good option. Thanks for listening. It won't work at all ..... if you don't follow a floor plan :) That's where designing a room ALWAYS BEGINS :)) Hoping you will post a new layout! Wow, this was work LOL
  • Chris King
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much. Will look at new two-seater and one-seater and get rid of this old whitish suite. Yes I will post a picture when complete. Have set up the two two-seaters and this is the picture of this. Thanks a million. I see I have allot to learn with designing. Luckily I was a nurse - I think. Retired now.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    You're Welcome! Mistake I think! ............If using 1 blue chair .... Not another 1 seater, will not work with the blue chair next to it, unless it's the exact same style as the blue chair. 2 or 3 seater please...... with 1 blue chair
    or ....
    use your 'two blue' chairs where the white sofa is in drawing # 3 (BEST) table between (you will lose 2 seats) - still have 9 seats for the room but .... could get 2 small ottomans in front of fireplace.
    or ....
    buy 2 new chairs in a neutral beige or soft terra cotta for that space in the drawing.

Then you could place 2 chairs directly opposite the fireplace , slightly angled if you prefer. An end table between. That will work even better for the room ... No expense for new upholstery or new furniture - YAY
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the pic. :) Move both sofas farther away from the window. Create empty space behind. Look at drawing. Sofa back should line up on the same line as the hearth edge. There will be space behind the sofa that is in front of that back window. Place some plants there or a sofa table.

Move the two sofas toward the steps more. Leave (more than shown) space for a coffee table, plus 18" on each side of an invisible coffee table. Do you have another table to use for coffee for this arrangement.

Coffee table idea - Maybe a picnic bench? or low chest, or trunk?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Maybe you can move some of the white furniture outside on the patios? To give you a better feeling for the room?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Love using the 2 blue chairs opposite the fireplace, where white sofa in drawing is. You will be using your entire blue set. Yippee. This feels better, is inviting, allows a path to the bench (that I bet doesn't get used much). People might be more apt to sit at the bench because of the easy access to it. Your entire blue set will be the highlight of this room and goes together so well. Print sofas on the right of the room. Solid blue chairs opposite the fireplace focal point of the room. So o o o put together. Works, works, works visually and comfortably. All seating is well accessed.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I see a round small table by the mirror and sideboard wall. Will that table fit between the 2 blue chairs opposite the fireplace? or your nesting tables may work with the chairs.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    This is what I call decorating :)
    Chris King thanked Geneviève
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Thanks!. Lots of work and thinking and getting info etc. etc. etc. Love your profile pic. I think I have something like that somewhere :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I think this pillow can work on the bench seat. Two pillows only, with some solid blue pillows like blue chairs.
    Pillow - multi · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Idea: if you like vintage, maybe you have two large strong old suitcases somewhere?
    You can use two of them 'stacked' for a coffee table in front of the two small sofas by the windows?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Hi Chris. Are you going with # 3 Floor Plan? Except replace the white sofa idea with your two blue chairs and a table between. If you are trying to take parts of each floor plan and try to make them work... I can tell you ... IT WON'T. Bottom line! The white set needs to go entirely. You will have plenty of seating in # 3 Floor Plan. Just checking in with you :)
  • Chris King
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for that LB interiors. I made a to-scale plan of the lounge room and and cut out some chairs to scale and have spent many hours changing it around. Because of the angled wall and size of room I feel the plans are a little too square and block off part of the room. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your help. At present we are probably looking a getting a new suite minus 2 single chairs. The problem is what goes with what. I like your stripes and have spent many hours looking at New Zealand upholstery and like a few. When I get a bit more free time tomorrow, I may send a picture of the to-scale plan and my thoughts, if you would like to comment on them, as I know nothing about decorating. Let me know if you want to see the plan and some thought of material. Thanks a million. Chris
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Hi Chris, sure I'll take a look but I have a feeling you don't trust what I or anyone else may suggest. That will make it difficult for me. Sure, I'll take a look. You said you know nothing about decorating ... so you need to have trust in what many of us are suggesting.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Many many rooms do not have options for many floor plans. Especially when they have structures that prohibit other options. Your room is also small and at the top of this list!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I don't know what you mean by blocking off the room and too square. You really don't have angled furniture options that work. I can't seem to find any :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    In your case, you have to ignore the angled wall. it has nothing to do with the way the furniture works, is comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. Angled walls are the most difficult to know how to decorate around. Just because you have an angled wall, does not mean that you can successfully angle furniture to it. Not with all the furniture that you seem to want in the room My opinion.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    If you are trying to find fabric to go with both of the sets or some of each set, it will not be successful and it will look like a garage sale or hand me downs. It will be a mess. Sorry. but that's what you will see.
  • Chris King
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do appreciate your opinion and do trust what you say, but when I set it up that way there was not enough room to walk between the couch and two seater. I will rearrange tomorrow and take picture for you. In the meantime here is the floor plan to scale. It is 6 metres across. I do appreciate your suggestions. Thanks heaps. We are going to get rid of one pair of single seaters at least and possibly 3 seater and get another two- seater.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Ok thanks. No three seater.
    There is no pathway to get inside the grouping in your drawing? There is not enough room for a 3 seater. In place of the 3 seater - put 2 chairs. Like # 3 where the white sofa is (replace with 2 blue chairs)

Move the right side 2 seater closer to the steps. Backs of chairs and 2 seater in a straight line with each other.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/4-floor-plan-floor-plan-los-angeles-phvw-vp~5366661
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    No need to buy new furniture. You're retired. There is not enough room for anything else.
    Good luck! I don't have any more solutions. :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    One last idea - Place the 2 sofas exactly the way you had them in top pic dilemma,- but - move them closer to the bench.
    No chair by the fireplace.
    Shift the group farther left. Hope there is enough room between the coffee table and the fireplace to get to the bench. The group will not be centered to the fireplace. Not sure how it will look.
    On the right side windows, Use an 'end table' in the 'middle' of windows (left corner to steps) with the backs to the windows. Place the 2 blue chairs on each side of the end table. Hope there is enough room to walk between the angled right sofa and the chairs, to get to the back door by the tennis courts. Good Luck! :)
  • Chris King
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks again for input. The fireplace is hardly ever used, so I'm sure it wouldn't matter if it isn't the focal point.
    We don't have many guests in the winter, mainly over summer. When we have friends around I do light the fire in winter, but probably not more than 3 times all year. We have another fire in the family room which is usually where we hang out. Please find photos of rearranged lounge. I used 2 chairs instead of three seater as in your plan #3 above. Looks allot better. Sorry I forgot to line up backs of all chairs as in last plan. Please ignore the 3-seater behind the other chairs. I had nowhere to put it. I feel happier with that. I will also reset again as in your last suggestion and will send to you to have a look.
  • Chris King
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I've started shifting furniture around again, but unsure what you mean on the right side.
    Angled two-seaters have plenty of room to walk around. See photos. Do you like this material with it or should I keep it blue?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the pics. I'm still 'not' understanding why you are keeping the two white chairs? You have space for 9 people in this room !!!! What do you want to use the fabric for? If you use it on the 2 white chairs (both chairs should be the same fabric, not different.

I don't like that you are using 1 blue chair next to 2 white chairs. They look stuck together like extra furniture left over and no place to put them. You don't need the white chairs at all!

Only 2 options: in this room ......
    Left or Right of the room (separate areas) ---- 2 blue sofas (group) and 2 blue chairs (group)
    or ....
    Left or Right of the room (separate areas) ---- 2 blue sofas (group) and 2 white chairs (group) (reupholstered in the same fabric)

You need to separate the 2 styles from one another not next to each other!

No blue and white chairs together --- 2 chairs should be the same style and fabric
    No ......... other chairs or sofas. The 2 styles can not work when you place 2 different styles next to each other, reupholstered or not!.

Most importantly, like I said before, reupholstering 2 different styles of furniture in this situation is not going to work, if the 2 different styles are sitting next to each other. And that's what you just posted. The same style has to be together in 1 group. Do not like the blue chair style next to the white chair style!

I like the fabrics but they tend to make the blue fabric look old, faded and washed out. Maybe they need to be 'muted' in those colors and not so crisp and strong in color. Color palette is good, but washes out the blue.

Your best look and co-ordination is using the 2 blue sofas and the 2 blue chairs only. The colors are great and I love that the sofas are printed and the chairs are solid blue. These are all the same style and work with a designer eye.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    The white chair and the blue sofa are too close together. You don't need the blue chair + 2 white chairs. You should have at least 4' of pathway space between these groups! They look crammed in the room.

Also at he large window, use the nesting tables as a coffee table (not against the window) if you're keeping the sofas there.

If you put 2 matching chairs, Use the round scalloped table between 2 chairs.

Use the round scalloped table between the two chairs where ever you decide to put the 2 matching chairs.
  • Chris King
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm not keeping the two white chairs. I'm getting rid of that old suit or keeping only part of it and getting it recovered. Hence the material to recover. The only reason I have a blue chair next to white is to show placement. Not necessarily those exact chairs. I was trying to copy your plan with a two-seater, but as I didn't have an extra one, I used the two white chairs. If I used the last set of photos, I am still not sure what to do on the right.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    First, I have to apologize for sounding so strong. I'm very sorry. To meet your needs to be the 'best' floor plan to accommodate 8-10 people. (I think 4 people can comfortably use the bench if need be).
    That means you have 10 seating spaces, wthout the blue chair. 2 seater only or 2 chairs only, no blue chair next to it.

Those were my suggestions. If you are comfortable with the 2 styles mixed, then that works for you . Again I apologize :)
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    LB Interiors is on the money here. (After all, I was the one who thinks too much furniture makes it look like a funeral home salon). I still say, pick which group to keep, then coordinate the look you want... You
    CAN sell used furniture.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Oh, okay, may need to clarify some more.

If you get a new 2 seater in place of the 2 white chairs, fine, but no blue chair at all next to the 'new' 2 seater. Won't be right with a blue chair too.

So what ones are you planning to recover?. If getting rid of part of it, not understanding.

2 different styles placed next to each other won't look right. I wouldn't like old blue fabrics next to new fabrics or next to 2 different styles of furniture.

New 2 seater and old blue chair next to each other, not good :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I also think you need sheer drapes all along the windows. Looks like furniture will fade? Yes - pick which style group that you want!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    As far as a 'new' 2 seater. I would get 2 'new' chairs instead. In this room the chairs will be more versatile. Because the chair backs will face the kitchen.

It's better to use a sofa table behind the 2 seater if choosing a 2 seater instead of 2 chairs. Back is facing kitchen.

Back of 2 seater is best with sofa table behind it.

People are most comfortable in their own separate chair. Both (2 seater or 2 chairs) allow 2 spaces for seating.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    My favorite ...

One group -
    2 blue 2 seaters at the windows facing each other
    Sofa table behind the 2 seater near the steps

2nd group -
    2 solid terra cotta fabric 'new chairs' opposite the fireplace with an end table between
    or...... your 2 blue chairs

Bench reupholstered in the 'stripe fabric'
    Accent pillows (large about 28" square) all across the bench seat for comfortable back support seating - solid colors. Blue and terra cotta fabric for pillows.
  • Chris King
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was looking at getting rid of the old white suite as style is all wrong I feel. so will look at buying two more single seaters. in muchg the same style as blue suite. Thanks for all your help. I can now see what will work. Remember if you come this way look up :A Panoramic Country Homestay" and stay for free. Thanks again.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much! You're welcome! Please post a pic of the new arrangement. You can use the blue set in this final plan until you get the new chairs. Please post a pic using the blue chairs where the new ones will go, opposite the fireplace with the round table between them. Also, at the windows, a pic of the blue sofas and coffee table (nesting tables) pull them out but still under one another for the coffee table. Would like to see it without the white set. Thanks!