online_buyer

Need advice on suitable toilet suite to replace old (80's) one.

Robert
3 years ago

Hi, we would like to replace our old toilet suite with a more modern one, preferably back-to-wall and rimless. However, the walls in our bathroom are only partially tiled. Specifically, the area where the toilet bowl is has only one wall tile at the bottom.

The toilet is an s-trap. These are the measurements:

• Centre of toilet to centre of tap - 10cm
  • Floor to centre of tap - 18cm
  • Wall to centre of the pipe (if the tile is included) - 18.5cm
  • Wall to centre of the pipe (if the tile is not included) - 20cm

Questions:

• Do the tiles need to be removed to be able to install a back-to-wall toilet suite? Or is there a way to do it without having to remove tiles? If removing tiles is necessary, can the plumber do it or do I need to hire a different tradesperson (like a tiler) to do that?

Is there any relatively modern looking non-back-to-wall toilet suite that you can recommend?

• With regards to the set-out, I believe that the correct measurement is the one that excludes the tile (20cm)?

I have attached pictures of the toilet and measurements.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Toilet:

Floor to centre of tap:

Wall to centre of pipe (if tile is included):

Wall to centre of pipe (if tile is not included):

Comments (4)

• Robert
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi, would love to read your feedback

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    3 years ago

GWA/Caroma make a range of toilet suites that have a flexible floor connection called flexilink for people retrofitting new toilet suites to old floor holes so I would suggest that you check out their flush to wall styles. The location of your wall tap may conflict with most flush to wall styles. Some plumbers may even install the suite off-centre to avoid relocating the wall tap!

Your plumber would probably be happy to install your toilet hard against the existing skirting tiles and fill the gap around the edge with a bead of silicone, however I wouldn't be happy as it will look clumsy, get dirty and make it harder to remove the cistern lid.

If it was my job I would do it properly, remove the plasterboard and tiles for the back wall, relocate the wall tap, add some noggins so that the back of the toilet cistern had something better to fix into than plasterboard, replaster, install toilet then retile skirting. Or retile the whole wall to above the top of the cistern, or even the ceiling, to provide a flush finish tiled finish for any future toilet suite changeovers.

If you are spending good money on a flush to wall toilet and a plumber to install it then it is better to do it right without any regrets about gaps or dirty silicone.

Best of luck, Dr Retro of Dr Retro House Calls and Dr Retro Virtual Visits

• Robert
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Dr. Retro, it's good to hear feedback from a professional. I think it is much better to do it properly as you said, rather than working around by putting silicon or installing the suite off-centre.

However, as it sounds like a big job, and we do not have the funds currently, we're thinking of going for a non-flush to wall toilet suite.

• KK1000
    3 years ago

Maybe a nib wall behind the toilet would help to hide things.