tennahomes

A Light-Filled Balmain Extension

TENNA Homes
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Our client approached us with an exciting task. They wanted to extend the rear of their existing single-storey home to add on a first floor. The house is located in Balmain, so there were unique challenges to any kind of extension in the area, but we were able to turn around a result that exceeded our clients’ expectations.

Munro House · More Info

The site in itself was the biggest challenge as the rear is on the steepest slope of the block. With challenge comes opportunity as we were able to use this to our advantage and maximise the natural light through high ceilings. This allowed us to create a better flow from room to room for the growing family to enjoy for years to come.

The extension also required a shuffling of the internal layout. We relocated the kitchen and were able to open this up into an alfresco dining space, perfect for entertaining guests and keeping the indoor-outdoor flow harmonious with the home.

Munro House · More Info

Munro House · More Info

We also shifted the plan to include more open common spaces like the living and dining areas and added a master bedroom with ensuite and a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf to act both as a clever storage solution and a feature wall.

Munro House · More Info

These newly renovated rooms complement the existing home, making sure the old and new areas aren’t a harsh juxtaposition to the original design.

Because there was so much involved, we reviewed the plans many times until the client was completely satisfied with the design. We take the utmost care in our attention to detail, so while this can put a little delay in the original schedule, we’re happy to spend time perfecting the design if it means our clients are confident with their decisions.

Munro House · More Info

We’re thrilled with the way this project has come to fruition and how well the look of the extension complements the existing home design. Let us know what you like most about this project in the comments! We’d love to hear from you.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Jamie
    3 years ago

Wow this is an amazing makeover!

• Kyle Hams
    3 years ago

What a stunning colour palette chosen. That beautiful flooring really makes all the colours and metals pop so nicely! Love it!

• Kate
    3 years ago

Lovely

• PRO
    TENNA Homes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow, I would love to see what the original looks like.

It is nice to hear someones experience from back then and how it's changed to what the 'lifestyle' is of today. Heritage houses surely has its beautiful charms and I am glad there are still those who recognises this to this day.

• mary171155
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The coal smoke was damaging to the environment, so fireplaces had to go, but boy did I love them. :)

Sorry no photo's of the old interior, as we didn't own a camera when I was growing up.

• HU-88925942833
    3 years ago

What is the type of timber on the floor?