webuser_206141322

Pros and Cons of Concealed rangehood?

HU-206141322
3 years ago

Hello,

We are thinking to have our range hood concealed. Will this affect its ability to suck out all the grease etc?

What are the pros and cons of concealed range hood?

Comments (15)

• Kate
    3 years ago

What do you mean by concealed?

• HU-206141322
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Inside the overhead cabinetry

• HU-206141322
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Kate inside the overhead cupboards. looks great but will this stop the range hood from being effective? The unconcealed range hoods look massive but concealed ones seem smaller. Am I correct to think this?

• macyjean
    3 years ago

I think you need to look at different brands not just whether they are concealed or not. The actual workings might not be be that different, the outside is mostly style. Externally ducted is preferable to recirculating. A concealed one will simply have the duct inside the cabinetry. The specs should say something about airflow, to allow you to compare them. Also noise.

• HU-206141322
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@macyjean Hi, so you are saying whether the range hood is concealed or not, efficiency still depends on brand specs.

what is the most affordable brand do you recommend?

• macyjean
    3 years ago

Homeowners likely haven't experienced a lot of different brands/models. Retailers/installers preferences might be limited. Repairers might have useful insights though probably more about reliability than how well the different brands function. Perhaps you can check Choice's website and see if they've done any comparison testing?

• dreamer
    3 years ago

It's called an integrated rangehood.

As said look at the power of extraction specs.

i have an integrated rangehood, and have never thought that it doesn't do the required job.

• dreamer
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Mine is an AEG. Rangehood is 770mm in length, Over a 900mm cooktop.

i do not think it is smaller than a canopy rangehood. Just a different look.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

AEG

• Kate
    3 years ago

A normal range hood or pullout are designed to extend over the whole stove. The integrated you picture is only depth of upper cupboards so 300-400 deep. They will be a bit more powerful to suck air across. Check noise

• HU-206141322
    Original Author
    3 years ago

on a different note, undermount sinks? Are they worth it? worried of stone getting easily chipped with undermount sink

• PRO
    Compass Kitchens
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi HU-206141322 depending on the brand and extraction rate then yes the Undermount (concealed) rangehoods are really good. We install a lot of this type because customers like the look as well as their efficiency and with those models with remote fan motors mounted in the roof, they are also quieter. These have larger Fans and large 200mm diameter fules and have huge extraction rates of 1140 cubic meters of air an hour or more. Brands with this high efficiency that you may like to consider are Falmec Milano with 1140 m3/h or higher 2010 m3/h, Schweigen Silent Undermount with isodrive 1600m3/h and Sirius offboard undermounts with 1200m3/h.

I hope this is helpful, regards Malcolm

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Coincidentally, todays Harvey Norman brochure has the following advertisement.

• HU-206141322
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dreamer @Compass Kitchens Wow! Thank your for this! ❤️