jenny2345

to whiten or not to whiten?

jenny2345
2 years ago

Have inherited some dark wood furniture that originally I was going for a dark ‘cigar lounge’ feel but it’s not working. Thinking now to paint all the dark cupboards white? Any thoughts?? Will be repainting the entire house 50% Cloudburst ( light grey)

Comments (4)

• dreamer
    2 years ago

In my opinion, its the eyelet curtains, orange pine furniture, and the arrangement of the books candles and ornaments on the drinks cabinet, which is letting the look down.

Please do not paint the furniture, that furniture as is, is wonderful. And also a collectors item. You will devalue the furniture by painting it.

Replace curtains with curtains and pelmet.

Rearrange the ornaments. Put long candle stand in the very corner. Place the figurehead (Beethoven?) where the candle stand was. Put the glass decanter next to the candle stand and other glass bowl. Put the books in the order of height, with the tallest book on the right, remove the aqua, then the smallest. Remove the two black frames and reposition with one above the other, not side by side. When painting, paint the air vent the same colour, so it blends into the wall.

• Marylee H
    2 years ago

These Art Deco greens would make your dark wood pop!

🌈

• Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

Hi Jenny,
    Love the idea of a cigar lounge, don’t paint your beautiful furniture, it just needs to be ‘glammed” up to give it that luxurious look related to those rooms, remove your books and add a hint of gold, a beautiful tray with some fab bottles, a lamp, some fabulous cushions, gold pieces for your wall unit this will add that decadent hint of luxury associated with these rooms

• Kate
    2 years ago

I’d paint the walls in this room dark. Do not paint the cabinets it would not work with those period pieces, sell them and buy modern if that is what you want.