sharlamk

moisture in bathroom - rising salt damp

sharlamk
2 years ago

Hi

I had a pest inspection today and the inspector told me that I have moisture in some of my walls. On one side of the unit the path is only one brick height below the waterproof membroane not allowing suitable ventilation for damp rising from the strip footings. The bathroom is on this side.

The moisture in the walls was highest around the bath. The inspector explained that the subfloor didn't have sufficient ventilation around the bath. I can see moisture damage starting in the walls and plaster just above the floor adjacent to the bath.

I am thinking about getting a subfloor ventilation fan installed to increase ventilation in this space. However I am concerned that the moisture is so much higher around the bath. I think there must be some issue with waterproofing around the bath or in the plumbing supplying it.

I am wondering if I should remove the bath and swap it out for shower? The space for the bath is too narrow for a shower. The only way I can do this in my small bathroom it to move the plumbing so that the shower is located when the toilet currently is.

Is there an easier path to rectify this? A less invasive was to ensure there are no leaks around the bath or in the plumbing beneath or in the wall taps which supply it?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments (2)

• Kate
    2 years ago

You will probably need to get the plaster off, given it’s wet anyway, check for mould behind walls and any other leaks. Then replaster with new plaster. If no leaks then you can be assured it’s underfloor. Call in your plumber for advice

• dreamer
    2 years ago

If there is moisture, then there is probably mould. I would be removing the bath and the wall lining and installing a new waterproof barrier. Maybe renew the whole bathroom by gutting and starting from fresh, in a moisture and mould free environment.