annelyse74

Exterior refresh of ugly dark brick - need a plan. Tx

annelyse74
2 years ago

Hi Brains trust!

Bit of background: When we purchased the house it had a mint green render base/retaining wall to the red brick coloured metal fence panels and red roof, clotted cream gutters, and pink eaves. It also had all that cream/sand coloured paving (with hints of cool) and terracotta coping around the edges of the 'balconey'. Hot mess.

My natural palette is NOT creams/oranges/warm. I love cool colours: greys/whites/blues/marine greens/aubergines...you get the picture. So we painted the rendered retaining-wall/fence and metal lengths a deep purple/aubergine to ground the place and try to play down the warmth of the pavers and pull out some of the cool variations in the pavers. Obviously, we also planted the Star Jasmine to climb/cover the fence to add privacy to the front of the house, and Lilly Pillys at the front that I never got around to hedging. Both these are bloom with white flowers.

When we needed to repaint, we did the gutters/down pipes in Dulux Bullring (to try and blend them into the brick, the eaves Dulus Warm Neutral ( I think). and the second storey at the back Dulux Toffee Fingers (hard to see). The plan was always to (eventually) get rid of the ugly red roof. I feel there is too much red going on between the roof and the bricks. The house faces south and is inner west Brisbane.

Will be needing to replace the garage doors soon, hope to do the roof, and will likely need to repaint in the next 3 years. Knowing we need to do the doors has made me realise we need a plan!

While I hate the brick, hubby doesn't want to render/paint as it is another maintenance cost, and I'd rather have that in my pocket than on the walls. Also, we don't want to rip up the pavers as that would be a huge expense (the double drive, front, and side of property) and seems wasteful.

Please give all suggestions for roller door/roof suggestions. I am open to gutter/eaves suggestions also. (Remembering, we live in Brisbane where it is warm most of the year, and Hades hot sometimes)

Thanks again!

P.S Please don't judge the weeds in the pavers. It's been a very wet and warm few weeks.

Comments (11)

• pottsy99
    2 years ago

Surfmist or similar silvery blue . In fact , I suspect once you see it done , you'll want to do the board above the garage door , and the wooden door , the same .

Personally , I think the existing look is too dark and 'heavy' -- the lighter tone will lift it .

annelyse74 thanked pottsy99
  • annelyse74
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks bigreader & potsy99.

I agree it is heavy. We pulled the purple/bullring from the brick. The house is very long/horizontal. Potsy99 might be onto something about painting the chamfer boards above the garage, and the timber door being lighter might break that up a bit.

I really struggle with the warm pavers and wish the previous owners had done a grey based paver. I feel it would have complemented the brick better.

Colours I was entertaining for the roof are: Colorbond: Surfmist, Dune, Paperbark, Evening Haze. As much as I do love Ironstone, I feel a dark colour would a) be too heavy, and b) be too hot.

I wonder if Ironstone (which would work/complement the rendered retaining wall) on the garage doors and gutters/facia boards would work, and do the roof a lighter colour - Surfmist/Dune/Paperbark? I just struggle with classic cream.

Oh, and my mum lives with me, and she has VERY strong opinions about warm colours, and everyone is entitled to hear them. :/

Again, thanks.....

• pottsy99
    2 years ago

I reckon a grey paver would have made everything too blah , and even you would have missed turning into the drive on a cloudy day haha .

Ironstone would just make the house look even more 'dark and depressing' IMO .

In fact , look at the first pic you posted . A sunny day . The greenery looks pleasant . The drive looks pleasant . The right side curved wall looks pleasant . And the rest -- well , not quite so pleasant , is it ?

Does your mum like warmer colours ? I was originally going to suggest doing the wrought iron fence out to the pillar in a bright red -- but it looks like that is out of your spectrum -- if she hates it too , then forget I even mentioned it haha .

• annelyse74
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The wrought iron was red, with a minty/ice green wall. The fence now disappears when you look outside, which is nice. I guess if you did the chamfer boards above the garage, door (next to roller doors), garage doors, roof, and gutters in a lighter colour it might sing a little more. The red was always hated, and will go. It is very much a 'Sydney' red roof.

Mum hates warm colours even more than me., In fact, she chose the purple on the fence (I was in hospital having a baby).

Ironstone would be heavy and hot.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

Changing the colour of the garage doors will make a big different, the paving will blend beautifully

annelyse74 thanked siriuskey
  • annelyse74
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Siriuskey - I note you went more a mid-colour rather than light or dark. Interesting... :)

With the understanding that as a graphic artist I make an excellent anything else....

Lightened the roof (it will need revitalising soon) and had that with light doors and dark doors....

Thoughts?

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

I just grabbed the colour from the timber above the doors, nothing definite, It reduces the palette to show how that works for the house, what does mother think

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

If changing the roof, I would go dark with those bricks and dark with trim, more of a Japanese feeling

• annelyse74
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I do love the idea of a dark roof but I live in Brisbane, with no a/c, and it gets hot!

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

you can certainly go with the white roof but I would keep trims to Dark and timber, perhaps extending the porch with timber

annelyse74 thanked siriuskey