ilana_green

Seeking room inspiration with measurements/ dimensions

green_banana
2 years ago

I'm trying to find ideas for room layout and furniture placement for my house (as per the attached floor plans). The problem is, most of the posts I've found with suggested layouts or room pictures don't include measurements, so I can't tell if they would work in my space. Is there a good way to get inspiration and ideas that includes room measurements? Otherwise, is there a way to search for ideas by room size/ dimensions?

I am mainly looking at ideas for open plan living, small playroom and bedrooms.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    2 years ago

You have some awkward spaces and awkward flow with rooms being used as thoroughfares to access other rooms. I think that you will find it difficult to find images to help you visualise how these spaces would work. Had you considered engaging a professional designer to talk you through the issues, your household, and your existing furniture?

Best of luck,

Dr Retro of Dr Retro House Calls and Dr Retro Virtual Visits via Zoom

green_banana thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • PRO
    JRED
    2 years ago

You need Interior Designers for your rooms. Looking for inspirational ideas is a normal way thus your able to list what you need. But Designers are trained to do such complex and irregular rooms for a comfortable living of the end user.

Hope you will find.

green_banana thanked JRED
  • bigreader
    2 years ago

Your spaces are fairly unique so inspiration photos will be just that. For your specific circumstances I’d make up little paper pieces of furniture to the same scale as your plan and try them out on the plan. When you’ve narrowed it down you can mark out the positions on your actual floor with masking tape to get another view.

green_banana thanked bigreader
  • siriuskey
    2 years ago

I think we have already seen this house, wanting ideas for kitchen dining living and SUNroom?

• Melt In ACT
    2 years ago

I’d take space from the enormous laundry and give it to the tiny bathroom next to it.

green_banana thanked Melt In ACT
  • green_banana
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

I assumed my layout would be similar to that of other Californian Bungalows of the same period. It is helpful to learn my layout is reasonably uncommon and I am probably looking for inspiration in the wrong places.

It sounds like Dr Retro House Calls and JRED are correct in steering me towards an interior designer. I hadn’t considered that option as I thought I would need a large budget for furniture and décor if going down that path. I’ll give Bigreader’s suggestion a go first and use scaled cut-outs of furniture to play around with furniture placement. If I still need guidance after that, I will look into interior design services.

I initially shared your thoughts – Melt in ACT - and was thinking about turning the laundry space into a large bathroom and then moving the laundry to the small bathroom. Ultimately it was going to be too expensive… and seeing as I have young boys who get every item of clothing they wear dirty within 5 minutes of putting it on, it will be a bit of a luxury to have a big laundry. It's an idea I might revisit in the future though.

Oklouise, I love all your ideas and suggestions and am really grateful for the time you’ve taken to respond. The floorplan you’ve put together is super helpful. I was bummed about the lack of space for an entry set down area and would have never thought about moving the bedroom door. I will definitely look into that.

Good memory siriuskey- I did previously post about this house and I received a couple of good suggestions (including advice from you) around maximising kitchen bench space with a kitchen island and adding a storage wall near the small living spaces. I felt the advice sought in this post is sufficiently different to justify asking a new question about whether there are resources I may not be aware of and if people have ideas about the floor plan as a whole, including spaces I had not previously asked about.

I’ve got lots of new ideas and really appreciate everyone taking the time to share their advice. This is a great forum/ community!

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

We see a lot of floorplans on Houzz and some trigger memories like yours with the sunroom and not wanting to change that,

I did do a floorplan with furniture placed to help you, plus kitchen and extra storage but you must have posted under a different name at that time because I couldn't bring that floorplan back up under this name

• green_banana
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Im not disagreeing with you Siriuskey- I acknowledged having posted about this house before and receiving a helpful response from you (not sure why its not coming up in your search- I've attached screenshots here). I'm new to Houzz and to house ownership, so if I have broken any protocols about submitting multiple posts I apologise. As I said, I thought this post was okay because the main question I asked was different and the layout advice I sought included rooms that I have not previously posted about. All the responses have been different to those provided previously and have complimented your previous advice. Apologies again if I have done the wrong thing or if I've misinterpreted your messages as a disaproval of my multiple posts about the same property.

----------------------------------------------------

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

Sorry, no disapproval intended, I just remembered your first post but couldn't find it or my floorplan, all good with me