pazza_italiana78

Yay or Nay? Mirrored smoked kitchen splashback

pazza_italiana78
2 years ago

Please help!!... Currently I have white tiled splashback, up to the ceiling. I've never liked the white tiles against my dark overhead cupboards. I've always wanted a glass splashback. Colour choices are limited with my dark cupboards, yet I don't want white. I've been suggested the smoke mirrored splashback however some have said.. " OMG.. NOOOOO, the cleaning. " Someone reviews are positive and others negative. I know that mirrored and glass splashback add value to your home and also gives it a more appealing look and elevates your kitchen. Thoughts on the cleaning everyone? Ia it reallllllly that complicated, especially with cleaning all the way to the top?
Or I could change the grouting colour on the white tiles or change the lamanex pattern... then again, that cost will end up being the same as the mirrored splashback!🤔😁

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Simon Hayward Design
    2 years ago

We have a mirror splashback. Have you considered a stainless steel cooktop cover. When you aren't cooking it provides additional bench space which is handy for smaller kitchens. When you are cooking it can hinge up to become the splashback... protecting the mirror behind.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

If you have always wanted a glass splashback then install one. It's not the splashback that adds value to a home, it is the size of the kitchen and the functional way it works.

your kitchen looks small, so if the next buyer did not want the glass splashback then it would not be a massive change for them to take out, and put tiles back in.

are you a person that doesn't mind cleaning or do you not clean?

basically if you want a glass splashback have it.

• pazza_italiana78
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Simon, thanks for your suggestion. Adding a stainless steel cooktop cover, is not really my thing and what I'd consider.

Thanks for sharing your advice. I've read and also been told that a mirrored splashback, will open up space and make a smaller room appear bigger. I've seen most splashbacks in home's and find them amazing, if anything, I'd replace tiles, depending on the design. Everyone has their own personal style and taste. I was just concerned that the cleaning is really messy and shocking to clean. At some point, things do need to be cleaned anyway. 😊

• Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

If your u love be mirrored splash back then have it, buy a karcher window vacuum it makes cleaning any glass or mirror a breeze, my Best Buy ever, any food splash just wipe off then clean using the karcher for sparkling results, it even vacuums up spills, remember with mirrors everything is reflected , so it’s wise just to have out on your bench what you need, to keep it not looking too busy.

• bargainhunter
    2 years ago

This is my glass splash back. It disguises marks very well unless you stand side on in the critical light. The colour could work with your cupboards

• pazza_italiana78
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Bargainhunter, initially I was thinking of glass, and was told that the colour you have (which I actually thought would suit my browns) won't go well. If you have the name of your green glass splashback, I'd like the name.
    Anyway I have decided on the smoke glazed mirrored splashback.

• bargainhunter
    2 years ago

Hi Pazza, we didnt build the house so not sure of the name. The photo is a bit off as it is actually more blue. The house is eight years old and there are no problems. It still looks new

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

I'd go with a plain mirrored splash back to reflect more light into your space and will work better with the stainless rangehood, silver on silver

• PRO
    Compass Kitchens
    2 years ago

With Kitchens that have dark cabinets and light coloured benchtops that are in large open space rooms, smoked mirror splashbacks works well however this is not the same for kitchens in small spaces with other dark surfaces. Adding to the dark surfaces with a dark splashback will only add to a sense of closing in your space more.

If you use the plain mirrored splashback option this will still reflect the dark colours of your bench and side cabinet but will bounce more light around compared to smoked mirror, as well as giving the illusion of more space.

For your particular situation, if you want a mirror splashback then I would suggest using pain silver mirror.

Hope this helps Malcolm.

• pazza_italiana78
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Malcolm. Thank you for your feedback. O actually had someone bring in a sample of the smoke tinted mirror and I actually didn't mind the slight tint. I understand your suggestion, but then I'd feel like I have a normal mirror ie from bathroom/ bedroom, giving of to much reflection.

• PRO
    Compass Kitchens
    2 years ago

Good to know, glad your all sorted.