webuser_203488040

House plan critique

D D
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi all, I would love some feedback and thoughts on this plan. We’re a family of 4 living in Adelaide. The goal is to integrate the main indoor and outdoor living areas as much as possible.

I’ve included my magic plan - It’s not exact but gives an idea of furniture layout etc.

The section at the bottom of the magic plan where the tree is, is council land. I’ve included close ups of the plans so hopefully you can see the measurements.

Would love thoughts on where we should we put the air con units.

I didn’t want the ensuite to be so long but the drafter has advised it needs to be in line with the garage. Not sure what to do here. I’ve deliberately included outdoor access so if we’ve gone to the beach/ have been working outside we can go straight to the shower. I’m not in love with the layout of the master wardrobe but I also don’t want the door to be too close to the bedside table, and am concerned if I put it closer to the bedroom entry, it will be too far to get to the toilet/bathroom.

The rumpus is a second lounge/playroom for the kids. I am concerned it will limit light into the main living area. I’ve considered relocating it where the spare bedroom is (bedroom 4) and scrapping that, however, I’m not convinced we can do without a permanent spare bed set up. My husband is sadly convinced that the study needs to stay.

I want to keep the kids “wing” (Bedrooms and bathroom/toilet) together as this will be their part of the house. As the house is only 1m from the boundary and the bedrooms are on the south side, I’ve included a little courtyard area to let more light into the rooms and so I can have a litttle garden so when we’re in the bathtub we can have a nice view.

I’m unsure of what to do with the porch below the family/meals as I don’t love this. I originally had this as accessible from outside for the pool toilet, but I’ve since included a toilet closer to the pool on top of the laundry for pool access.

With the laundry layout, I’m deciding whether or not to have the washer and dryer on the floor or to put the dryer on top of the bench. I would like 2m of bench space (where the sink will be) and 3x cupboards so the washer/dryer positioning will dictate the size of the room. Would love thoughts on both options.

Would love to hear thoughts on all aspects. Thanks

Comments (16)

• Kate
    2 years ago

Master I’d move entry to wir so it is at end of bed so person on other side of bed is walking around the bed into my personal space. I’ve already commented on your other post about en-suite and hall. And powder room.
    Storage. I am not seeing much, no hall table, mudroom. Limited general storage linen etc. external garden pool camping bikes etc storage. Assuming u have 3 cars in garage.
    Where is clothesline, is laundry in right position, long way to take dirty clothes from bedrooms

Washer and dryer. Depends on type. Because of weight with water based dryers they are best on floor like washer, or a purpose built stand, but for use on bench is better. Need to consider hose length to tap as well so pick your products early and work out these fine details now. Better planning and changing plans before you build.

D D thanked Kate
  • pottsy99
    2 years ago

I can't work out if some of the plans are before , so some of these comments mightn't be 100% accurate , but in no particular order , some thoughts I had .

-- a toilet accessible from the pool ? In 1 plan it looks like there is one to the left of the kitchen , but in another it looks like laundry ?

-- I assume a solid roof over the alfresco ? The kitchen doesn't seem to have any windows on external walls , so would be darker .

-- What is the main purpose of the rumpus area ? If you want somewhere for kids to play but so you can keep an eye on them , either a larger door/folding divider ; or maybe swap with the lounge -- I know that may leave a messier room in full view , but it means you have a lounge that is more seperate .

-- If you include the alfresco area , its reasonable 'living' area space , but a lot is 'food' as opposed to relaxation . I have no idea how you'd do it , but these days its almost expected there is a family , a rumpus and a lounge area in a 4 bedroom house . Alfresco area is a good idea , even moreso if there's a pool , but how much real world use will it get , especially over winter ?

Just some musings . . . . . . .

D D thanked pottsy99
  • Related Discussions

House plan help

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi J Smith, You have an exceeding excellent design for your new home. A few very small suggestions; 1. Reduce the length of the Pantry wall that's pointed at the sink by min. 2' if not more. 2. Consider removing pocket doors to Living Space or widening. 3. Remove the wall on the left side in Bed 1 as you walk in the door. 4. Do you need space for Mechanical's; Furnace, water heater, etc? Best of luck on your new home. Jerome DeMarco ART.chitecture
    ...See More

Finalising our first home plans and would love some help please!

Q

Comments (0)
    We are almost finalising our first home plans and would love some help please. Our list of "wants" clashed with our budget and we had to downsize a little. If anyone could help would be much appreciated. Bedroom 1 we are pretty happy with but would love to include a small study nook (just big enough for desk top computer and a chair. Bedroom 2 lost its WIW unfortunately ... would it be possible to put a wardrobe behind the bed and reshape the ensuite to lengthways? Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you all so much.
    ...See More

Hi, looking for good apps to plan a Reno to our new house

Q

Comments (0)
    We’ve just bought a traditional 80’ brick & tile home that we plan to extensively Reno. I’m looking for some good apps where I can play around with floor plans - any suggestions?
    ...See More

New Home plans complete.

Q

Comments (1)
    I chose a bench first then cabinets as I could only afford laminate and didn't want to see a black edge on benches, so needed to be dark. If you can afford stone etc you have an easier ride! Flooring last. Bench should match floor, cabinets should match splashback ( light/ dark/ tones etc ) so I heard !
    ...See More
  • afjp
    2 years ago

My initial question would be why would you put garage to the north stealing all the light for the rest of your home?. I would put it where master bed is. Also, alfresco a must to shield sun from back of house facing west in adelaide.

D D thanked afjp
  • afjp
    2 years ago

Not sure what the outlook is to the north, but you have a very long boundary facing north so i would be reorienting the whole house to have the long kitchen/dining/lounge room facing that way.

D D thanked afjp
  • macyjean
    2 years ago

I remember replying to that floor plan before, including the waste of northerly aspect, so are you starting your question again because I can't find that previous one?

D D thanked macyjean
  • Colin Malzard
    2 years ago

So you’ve decided that all the warmth you can gain from a northern aspect in winter, is going to mainly your 3 car garage and rumpus . . .

D D thanked Colin Malzard
  • dreamer
    2 years ago

Looking at your block shape, it is almost the same as ours. Albeit ours is only 426sqm.

but, we did put the garage on the east side living on the north. It works wonderfully and get the north winter sun into our home.

the south corner gets extremely cold, and on your plan this is where your kitchen and laundry is also.

the west corner gets all the west sun, and would be extremely hot if we had not put retractable awnings and the alfresco. You do not have any west coverage for the living and rumpus room windows. The coverage is in the south west corner, which will be good in summer but make your kitchen even colder in winter.

your swimming pool is going to be a cold one. I would put that in the west corner.

the bedrooms on the south east side is good, they will get the morning angled sun, and be cool to go to bed at night.

you have a large block and therefore able to build accordingly to good passive solar principles. We have a small block and managed that. The same shape.

D D thanked dreamer
  • dreamer
    2 years ago

This was another alternative, but did not build.

D D thanked dreamer
  • D D
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone

There‘a a few comments regarding the location of the garage. Sadly we cannot put the garage on the south side. The tree showing on the council land is regulated and we have been unsuccessful in getting approval to remove it so have no choice but to put it on the north side.

We want the main living areas (kitchen/dining/living) all at the back of the block as we spend a lot of time outdoors and want to integrate the indoor/outdoor living. We also wanted to avoid having the bedrooms in the back so when either us, or the kids when they get older, are entertaining, we are not affected by noise.

dreamer - do you know a way in which I can model the sun? We’ve played with many different pool locations but decided that’s the best place as it’s close to the entertaining area and not tucked far away in a corner. I would have thought it was far enough away from both the alfresco and the fence to get maximum sun.

macyjean - yes I started again to include more info and better pictures in hopes of gaining more informed feedback.

afjp - we did consider having the main living on the north but would prefer to have the main living areas integrating with the main part of the backyard. Sadly we have no choice in the location of the garage as above

pottsy99 - yes I’ve added a toilet on the magic plan and will get the drafter to add to the proper plan. Yes it would be a solid roof over the alfresco but have considered putting ceiling height windows to get light into the kitchen. Haha we are very food orientated and outdoor people so the alfresco and the backyard will be our “relaxation” space - even in winter.

kate - do you think the if I change the entry to the walk in robe it will be too far to walk to the toilet? The wardrobe is 4m long. Definitely agree about not having it too close to the bed though as yes I too am concerned it will impede on personal space so trying to find a balance between the two. I am considering recessing the hallway into the master wardrobe a little to allow for a bench in place of a hallway table. We’ve got linen storage in the kids wing and will have a small shed in the pool corner for pool toys. Will also have plenty of storage in the garage as whilst we’re allowing for 3 cars, we currently only have two. I too was concerned about it being a long way to take the dirty clothes, but I‘ve decided I’m willing to compromise as I really want the laundry close to the kitchen and at the back of the house. I currently have my dryer on the bench where we’re living now and quite like it. I was thinking though that it’s maybe more visually appealing to have both washer and dryer on the floor, but if it’s not considered functional (ie too much bending) I’d stick with having one on top of the other.

• afjp
    2 years ago

Understand what you are saying about the council tree, my thought was to have the garage door face north which would possibly work for car access? I.e. garage perpendicular to house. Its great to get the right size rooms and all the different rooms you are wanting but in my mind thats secondary to the aspect. Without the right aspect, you will end up using artificial lighting a lot more than necessary and it doesnt matter how lovely the rooms look you wont want to spend time in them as much without natural light. You can always change a house but you cant change the aspect of the block. I will post a hand drawn sketch of a couple of ideas that might work for you.

D D thanked afjp
  • D D
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thankyou I really appreciate it :)

• C P
    2 years ago

what about having long drive and placing garage at the rear of the property?

• D D
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks C P but it’s such a long block that we would find it inconvenient

• macyjean
    2 years ago

While tree preservation is important it is ludicrous for that to compromise the energy efficiency of a new build. Have you tried to get the offices dealing with the two matters to talk to each other and come to a sensible resolution? Perhaps the offer of planting a replacement tree would assist. Can your local MP assist with negotiations. Otherwise, look at what can be done if you make the garage perpendicular as suggested. The block has so much potential to make the most of that orientation for an efficient and comfortable home.

• pottsy99
    2 years ago

As far as a tree is concerned , my parents bought a place maybe 30 years ago that had a huge Norfolk Palm on a triangular shaped little 'park' that spoilt the view of the beach and an offshore island for them but also every house up a 'side street' . My dad had had quite a large agricultural contracting business ( including being a licensed chemical applicator ) and approached the council about getting the tree moved -- my parents offered to pay the costs , and Dad had a contact with a root spade that could do it .

Apparently several other people over the years had made similar offers , and had all been turned down . My parents were also declined .

Apparently 2 or 3 months later , someone drilled into the tree and poisoned the tree . Or maybe it died of old age . Who knows for sure ? My parents watched out the window periodically , as 4 council workers took a couple of weeks to trim then cut down the tree , a contractor ground the stump , new grass was planted , and then a few weeks later several more council staff came and laid stones and bark and planted quite a variety of shrubs and grasses .

Whilst we shouldn't condone destroying trees , sometimes common sense should prevail .