stephen_cerqueira

North Facing Fixed Eaves Question

Looking for some advice regarding eaves to my Dining/Kitchen/Living area which has about 4m wide north facing sliders. Location is Perth, WA so we are prone to hot summers. Excluding the fact that the plan stipulates Pergola/PVC Roof etc. which I will do post build - should I be strongly considering implementing some fixed eaves to the north facing windows to prevent the summer sun? If so looking for some guidance on ideas / size of eaves. Trying to make the home as solar passive as possible. Thank you all in advance.

Comments (6)

• dreamer
    2 years ago

This article is a must read. I'm in Perth and have a home facing North. Eaves or some form of shading are definitely still required in Summer until the sun goes over to the side of the home.

But in Winter it is wonderful. The sun comes in and warms up the rooms.

https://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/shading

Stephen Cerqueira thanked dreamer
  • Stephen Cerqueira
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you both so much. I"ll have a read and determine what I will require. @dreamer also great to hear that I should benefit from the amazing winter sun / heat. Did you incorporate larger eaves yourself? Thank you again

• dreamer
    2 years ago

We have the standard 600mm eaves but have installed a remote retractable awning. I can then control the amount of shading required at any time of the day or year.

I find in March April the weather and sun can still be quite warm, but the sun angle is on its way to being winter so has dropped slightly. Therefore shade is required.

Your installation of the PVC awning will be very beneficial. But on a beautiful day like today nothing is required.

• oklouise
    2 years ago

eaves would have to be very deep to exclude all sun from a full height glass door...in our cold climate the standard 450 deep eave is enough to keep out most of the mid day summer sun from our north facing living area and we have removed a verandah from the same location to avoid shading the welcome winter sun.. for your situation consider external shadecloth roller blinds and re consider any fixed roof over the pergola until you live with the exposed glass for at least 12 months to see how it feels in all seasons

• Stephen Cerqueira
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@oklouise I think you're right on the money here with the suggestion of living with it for 12 months first to then re-consider what exact coverage I need re. fixed eaves - pergola coverage. thank you for your insight