sofisct

Internal stairs balustrade - modernise

Sofia C
2 years ago

Hi, I don't like the look of this balustrade. Besides being a bit older style I feel like it's not finished properly upstairs? We're putting a nicer beige carpet and downstairs will have wooden floors. We will also be painting the house white. I don't think we'll have the time or budget to update.
Any ideas on how we can modernise welcome.
Many thanks!

Comments (6)

• Kate
    2 years ago

How can you update without the expense, it won’t be a cheap exercise unless you are a carpenter. It matches the era of the doors, so where do you stop. What Part of it don’t you like and what would you like. It’s personal. Look at images

• Sofia C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Would love a simple one like some on this pic... Maybe just paint the top? I like a more modern look but aware the house is not overly modern so only so much can be done.

• Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

Paint it black, will go beautifully with your white walls and light carpet

• User
    2 years ago

Part of the problem is the colour -- that yellowish cream is the most dated part IMO , and I was going to suggest painting white like the doors . The black looks good too .

My preference if you had the time and/or the budget would be to strip them back to wood and matt varnish them , BUT change the doors too -- those doors obviously were of that era , but I hate them with a vengence these days -- doors and balustrades would add some class and some warmth .

• Sofia C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Pottsy99, what would you change the doors to? I also do not love them but hadn't given them much thought until now....

We will be painting it the balustrade Vivid White and I think that wot definitely help. We're getting opinions on whether we can strip back to wood and varnish too.

• User
    2 years ago

Your plan means you can do 2 stages -- paint vivid white , and then later new doors . How it is now , with that 'aged cream' and white doors looks bad on 2 respects , so you are getting the 2 aspects to match .

Those doors I guess were a step up from the flat ones with cardboard coils inside , but they looked and felt really plasticy , and one of the worst attempts at fake wood that there was .

Call me strange , but I prefer wooden doors to have wood in them haha -- a nice wooden door in a white frame can't be beaten IMO -- its interior , so you don't want it to look heavy and impenetrable ( i.e. not a front door ) but similar to the existing door , just in a nice warm honey toned wood , or even a cedar or similar -- 4 or 6 small panels but nothing too heavy in detail . That would be my plan of attack anyway .