nicole_dowd15

Bathroom tiles 600x600 or 600x1200?

Nicole Dowd
2 years ago

Hello, I’m about to renovate my bathroom and I have the choice of a 600x600 or a 600x1200 tile. I read somewhere that a long tile can add length to a small room. But which way does it need to be laid to achieve that? Also, someone mentioned the grout lines don’t match up if you choose a rectangle shape so it can look bad. Any advice?

Comments (11)

• Nicole Dowd
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Interesting, my waterproofer said 1200 from the shower rose... not correct?

• Nicole Dowd
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your feedback btw! I think 600x600 might be easier.

• macyjean
    2 years ago

"my waterproofer said 1200 from the shower rose"

That doesn't make sense to me. It sounds like a sizeable distance, nevertheless what if your shower enclosure is larger than that? Surely the sensible measurement is x distance past the edge? As in Beach Bathroom's post. Margin for error, overlap for safety, that sort of concept. Not x distance from one point regardless of the variables of the surrounding space.

• Nicole Dowd
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It’s an open shower so no door. Just a glass panel on one side. Is there any documents online that detail
    the building code for water proofing? Our waterproofer is sending me a “Form 16”. Not exactly sure what that is but I understand it’s to certify that it’s been done properly.

• PRO
    Beach Bathrooms
    2 years ago

Nicole Please your State.

The code is

Guide to Internal Waterproofing

published by Master Builders Association, go to your states MBA

It shows locations of waterproofing membrane in bathrooms, NOT How

• gdharris191
    2 years ago

I have just renovated two bathrooms from top to bottom. I put 600x600 on the floors and the same colour 600x300 on the shower walls and a white ripple 600x300 on the remaining walls. Grout lines match up and it looks fantastic.

• PRO
    Beach Bathrooms
    2 years ago

Grout width ?

• Anthony Olissoff
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Discovery of our plumbers standards has been a bit of a surprise.

Plumbers do waste water, tiler does tiles right?

Not quite. Plumbers do the drain in the underfloor, then give the rest of the drain bits to "Zhong the tiler" who mounts the floor grate.

It is supposed to mount on to a support 'collar' cut to length, that it is mechanically supported by the main drain fitting.

This last weekend I examined why the grate was wobbly. NO support collar. There was a mortar job which had clearly 'slumped' at installation, so 'someone' (lets blame the tiler) used blobs of RTV sealant to build the grate up to the tile level.

Swiftfix Plumbing of Papakura (Graeme Booker) was most indignant that he or his firm should be held responsible for ensuring that the 30 - 50mm gap between the tiles and the drain should be the Plumbers responsibility. WTF?

Folks, check your drains for a cleanable, durable and mechanically stable support for the drain in your new shower renovation or get on to the plumber to do it properly.

And call the Master Plumbers federation in Wellington. They seem about as useful as a chocolate fireman but demand they start acting like the industry watchdog.

See attached pic. When the RTV crumbled and collapsed, the grate fell into the cavity and wobbles around like a drunken sailor. 2nd shower was the same. Don't get me started on the basins

Thanks Switfix Plumbing. Nice job (if you're a shonky, lazy and/or one of the dodgy brothers).

• PRO
    Beach Bathrooms
    2 years ago

NSW Plumbing

A plumber is to supply and fit a 100mm dia drainage to shower and floor waste with a puddle flange ( some exemptions of dia for existing units etc)

The puddle flange is Sikaflex with 11FC ( cheap bathroom renovations use silicone ) to the concrete floor ( or other approved flooring)

UNDER THE WATERPROOFING MEMBRANE

• gdharris191
    2 years ago

Can’t remember the grout width but very narrow. On my previous bathroom the grout was too wide, I hated it.