heykrazi

How best to resurface our sloped driveway?

heykrazi
2 years ago

Hi folks. Gained a lot from this forum in the past, and need some help again 🙇🏻‍🙏🏼 as my research and discussions with tradespeople is not clarifying things for me.

We have a sloped driveway on our property. It seems to be roadbase mixed with some sort of local gravel, and has been there for at least 10 years I’d say. Within the last 12 months, with such heavy rains around Sydney, the driveway has degraded, formed channels and washed away in parts. We need it redone ASAP.

To give you an idea of the slope: https://bit.ly/3pgASX2

We can’t afford concrete or pavers.

I’m not keen on asphalt or bitumen because a charcoal/black look just won’t go with our house.

So I feel like I’m left with 3 options:

– stabilized roadbase, which would come up as a medium-grey colour

– stabilized decomposed granite, which I could possibly get in a few colours

– coloured bitumen spray seal using Bushmates (eg. through Illawarra Spray Seal)

I have a landscaper telling me they’ve been getting good results with stabilized decomposed granite, but I’ve read some things online that this can be dusty when dry, muddy when wet, and might just end up washing down the slope after some rains?

I have looked into the coloured bitumen option, but I’ve inspected some properties with a Bushmates coloured bitumen seal and it seems like even this becomes dislodged and may wash away? (See here: http://tiny.cc/3ygytz.) Certainly not as solid and stable as I imagined, unless I’ve got it wrong.

I really don’t want something that will erode and wash away quickly. I’m well aware I won’t get ages out of the above options, but I’d like at least 5-7 years before I need to think about patching or resurfacing.

I’m almost resigned to investigating asphalt, even though aesthetically it’s just wrong.

Does anyone have any insights into stabilized roadbase, stabilized decomposed granite and/or coloured bitumen spray seal on a sloped driveway??

I’ve also recently discovered StoneSet – does anyone have experience with resin bound driveways?

Thanks!

Comments (10)