ratbag79

Will this shower work in small bathroom

Nic Lee
2 years ago

A leak in the shower was picked up during pre-purchase inspection, moisture reading in dining room wall (long story). Assumption is failed waterproofing (1985 build). See pic for quoted repair (inc. drywall in dining room).

If it’s going to cost that to repair (only one quote so far, even longer story, still has tenants), I may as well rip the bath out (been dealing with shower over bath for 9 years, the knees are not getting any younger and I’ve used the bath about 3 times). Single, no kids, not selling.

It’s single brick veneer, rendered external wall, cement slab.

Just in case anyone asks, here's the floor plan (there is a window in the toilet too, just not shown).

The current bathroom photo should show my dilemma. The existing bath is 735mm wide. I have 800mm from RH side of window to wall. Working with a tight budget, resizing the window is not an option.

Is it possible to make this shower work -

800mm w x 1500mm l, with a 1000mm frameless shower, 500mm entrance, all 3 walls are tiled and in good condition, for now until tiles gets ripped off.

Bunnings do a customisable tile over tray (up to 1000 x 1500) but the waste pipe hole is in the wrong location (centred) and slab work is not in the budget, so I figure a tiled base is my best option. I will have the entire bathroom floor retiled, bathroom is 1900w x 2280l, give or take a centimetre or two.

The existing shower over bath in the unit I rent is 700mm wide and I’m 5ft and not wide, so 800mm is an upgrade :)

I’ve got family telling me that 1000mm for the frame is too short, 500mm for the entrance is too narrow. I’ve tested this with the shower I use and with nothing I have to lift a leg over I won’t have any issue entering the shower. IF (a big IF) I ever sell then I figure they can replace the frameless screen with whatever they want, I will have done the expensive work for them.

As a side note, I’m going to replace the existing vanity with a 750mm and move it to the location shown. I would like to have it against the LH wall (as that is where the power point is) but the waste pipe is too far out (450mm) to accommodate a 460mm depth vanity.

Pick away, all suggestions/help appreciated.

Comments (16)