dirsk

Sinks with built in drain boards - yes or no?

dirsk
2 years ago

We are putting a new sink in to our kitchen, and have noticed that most do not come with the built-in side drain board. Im aware that you can usually buy a drain that fits over the sink, but are these actually practical? If you were purchasing a house - is a sink with a drain actually something you would want?

Double sink with NO built-in side drain board.
Double sink WITH a built-in side drain board

Comments (7)

• dreamer
    2 years ago

if you are having an undermount sink, they usually do not come with a side drainer. But I would always purchase a sink with a drainer attached. Undermount sinks are available with drainers attached.

If you are having a normal top mounted sink, most of these come with a side drainer.

Where are your pots and pans and cooking trays going to drain without leaving water marks on your stone benchtop, if you do not have a designated drainer? Definitely Purchase a drying mat to make sure bench is covered before putting pot or dishes that are wet on to bench top.

dirsk thanked dreamer
  • dirsk
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

It will be a top-mount sink. I didn't think of pot/pans etc.. I "was" thinking of somethin like this but not sure.

Ive never had a stone bench top before (putting one in with the reno) and was unaware that they have have water marks on them! Thanks for the heads-up.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

I have a Caesar stone bench top. I have a double sink with a drainer attached. I also have a drying mat always on bench top next to sink. The drying mat is for anything that needs washing in the sink, or for glasses that have a wet base. If the items are put on the bench they leave water marks on the caesarstone. You may not see them in certain light, but they are always there. I use a caesarstone cleanser every couple of months. It takes all the water marks away. So.....if you don’t have a drainer for the waiting to be or washed items, then buy a few drying mats.

• dirsk
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks @dreamer - great tips!

• wuff
    2 years ago

I use my second sink for pots to drain in. Everything else goes into the dishwasher.. if you get a stone bench top with a vague pattern it is way more forgiving than a flat or pure colour. I have used organic white rather than just a white… this tip came from our interior designer and it was a very good piece of advice

• wuff
    2 years ago

@dreamer. Love the colour. I know that feeling of the only one seeing the watermarks