lauren_oehme

Street appeal facelift for brick and block monster? Send help!

Lauren Oehme
2 years ago

Looking for ideas on how to facelift our 80s/90s brick and block lump.

The house is separated into two dwellings, one upstairs and one downstairs, both with their main entrances on the side of the house (bottom entrance not super clear in photo). We want to improve the facade so that we can enjoy coming home, and improve sale value if we decide to sell in future.

We're on a budget so can't afford any structural changes, at least not in the short term.

Ideas so far include:

- replace fibro deck balustrade (keen on ideas for replacement options?)

- paint white with black/charcoal accents, fence and deck? (any other colour suggestions? Street is a mixed bag - some older ugly ducklings like ours, some very modern and slick).

- possibly add some window trims to the downstairs inset windows

- remove outdoor carpet on entry stairs (timber underneath)

- remove glass enclosure on top level entry porch (possibly replace with timber/other balustrade to match the deck on other side)

- add some outdoor wall lights (suggestions on type?)

- add some large outdoor potted plants, perhaps 3, at front of house

I would love to clad the house but that's not really an option, budget-wise or structurally. Would love any other suggestions on how to make our big old block of concrete more appealing and homely!

Comments (8)

• Lauren Oehme
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! Definitely have the water blaster on standby, it can make a surprising difference. And also agree, thinking charcoal fences.

Would love to know why you think don't paint the bricks and block? It's not obvious in the pics but the bricks are actually already painted. Is it that you think that colour is fine as is?

Love that you suggest orange for the peak, I'd never have thought of that and it's not particularly our taste, but has got me thinking a bit more outside the box.

• User
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Basically , the paint looks okay , so save the $$$ , but also the colour is okay in the scheme of things ( what else are you going to do it in -- white or grey -- may as well keep it as it is ) .

The Orange is simply a matter of deduction -- I've pretty much run through the options ( above ) , and to me 3 tones of orange and the beige is a bit 'old' , but it would work , and the charcoal 'moderns' it up

Lauren Oehme thanked User
  • Lauren Oehme
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks! This makes sense.

• Rosemary Gauthier
    2 years ago

Hope this is not too late and your already done, but I would build a simple frame right across the front at the line between the two floors with a post at either side and a couple in the middle then some cheap big planter boxes (one each side and one in the middle) and get something vigorous growing up and along to break up the big flat frontage. Pandorea is cheap, fast growing and has lovely flowers. Just hack it if it gets too big, cheers

Lauren Oehme thanked Rosemary Gauthier
  • Lauren Oehme
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Rosemary, not too late at all! We are still tossing up options. I love that idea, pandorea looks gorgeous. Do you have an example of what you're explaining in a picture?

• Rosemary Gauthier
    2 years ago

I don't have picture but any builder will know what I mean. A shallow pergola really, only 450 to 500mm deep, support board bolted to the house just below the brick line, 3 simple posts bolted, or concreted into the drive (you can do something more decorative if you want, but avoid anything in front of the downstairs windows) and five back to front supports for strength. paint it dark like eaves to tie it all together. Good luck!

• Henry Dart
    2 years ago

Glad this got the answer it needed. Nice house by the way.

- Hayley