debex

updated kitchen

Deb Xuereb
2 years ago

My kitchen is about 30 years old, but in good condition, with solid timber doors. The splash back was subway tiles with a faux federation style frieze, and the benchtop was dark mottled laminate, with matching laminated kick boards. I was widowed three years ago and now don’t do much cooking, so although I wanted an updated kitchen, I really didn’t want to install a whole new kitchen, particularly since the existing one was still in good nick. So I thought replacing the splashback and benchtops with white engineered stone would give the kitchen a bright new look. I had quotes for a total replacement of splashback and benchtops with stone slabs, but then one of the builders suggested I get a quote for “veneering” with a thin stone over the top of the existing benchtops and tiled splashback. He felt that even though the cupboards were in good condition, the weight of new stone slabs may be too much for them. So I got a quote for this process as well. Same price, more or less.
The veneering company had a showroom which I visited, and I was really impressed.
The process took three days. The work was done beautifully with very little mess. The only bench top that was replaced entirely was the return, which was widened to enable it to be used as a breakfast bar.
I retained my old double sink and gas cooktop, and the builder installed a stainless steel panel at the back of the gas cooktop to avoid burning of the stone. I am so happy with the result - it looks like a new kitchen! I’m now looking for some pendant lights for over the breakfast bench, and have ordered three beautiful stools.
Have a look at the before and after pics. Love it!

Comments (17)