tian66

Need advice on layout of living/kitchen area in a inner city Terrace

TJW
2 years ago

Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker.

Wanting to begin an attic conversion to add master bedroom + ensuite in an very dated 2 storey victorian terrace. Current front access to the property is via a set of stairs downwards from the road (attached current floor plan). This leads a traditional victorian layout with a small kitchen towards the back of the property. Stairs going up leads to 3 separate bedrooms with the rear facing bedroom having city skyline views.

My dilemma is whether to open up the ground level with open plan kitchen/dinning living area + side return extension that flows into courtyard (what most renos have done) or flip the kitchen/dinning and living area onto the first floor to take advantage of the city skyline view at the rear of the property (and have entry stairs going upwards from the street). Thus the kitchen/living space will be in the middle (master bedroom on top after attic conversion and moving current first floor bedrooms down to the ground floor).

There's obvious pros of each. My wife finds the look of a side return extension kitchen on the ground floor opening up the courtyard quite appealing (attached visual idea) but we understand that a middle level kitchen will be more accessible for all and obvious a city skyline view in a living space may add more value to the property.

After suggestions to which way we should go before?

Many thanks

Comments (5)

• oklouise
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

assuming there are similar houses on both sides depends on how much extra space is needed for bathrooms, halls and stairwell on all three levels and converting downstairs to bedrooms would probably prevent easy access to any front or rear courtyards and would you keep the stairs down from the street for a fire escape as well as bridge to access the middle level and what is the size of front and back yards, do you have rear access and/or any other buildings on the property and will the attic room be built inside the existing roof or can the roof shape be altered and a balcony added at the back and how many bedrooms do you need ..so many questions that will need an experienced local architect and a very generous budget.. and, although the side return looks exciting it would compromise the window, light and ventilation for the room in the middle

TJW thanked oklouise
  • louiab
    2 years ago

We have an ‘upside down’ house because of views and I’ve always felt a disconnect to the garden. I wish we had of had access stairs outside off the rear balcony to reach the garden to make that connection. Just something for you to consider if important to you.

TJW thanked louiab
  • Kate
    2 years ago

I think you need to move the bathroom and laundry to a more central position. You stair case is contrary to flow. Get an architect to work with you and your budget, This is not something we can really help with as constraints and opportunities need to be properly understood

TJW thanked Kate
  • PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    2 years ago

Hello Tian, THANK YOU THANK YOU One of the first ever people to indicate north: it is so vitally important but so few know why! Take the credit but if you no not why look up PASSIVE SOLAR DESIGN! Questions: how much back garden is there? do you require 3 or 4 beds? Is your budget massive as I think what you are suggesting will need it to be! Three beds on lower level, new bath/loo laundry in the middle somewhere most definitely with windows please. New stairs from street to upper level for kit, living/dining with a pwd room. Center stairs continuing up to master robe and ensuite. Is that the sort of thing you are picturing? Can I suggest more stairs to the garden from the center living level for connection to garden. I do think that is important. Is this your forever home, is it a family home? Have you kiddies now, what ages. Sorry all the questions but all important... Cheers Margot

TJW thanked Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
  • TJW
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for all your replies and feedback. I haven't provided a lot more detail as the location of the kitchen/living areas go will dictate how the rest of the layout flows. This is going to be our forever home. We do not have children yet but planning to start a family soon. We are definitely relocating the stairs to the side of the property regardless as its current location is not really optimal. Louiab's point about losing that connection from the living areas to the garden is what we are concerned about, hence one of the option is to just open up the ground floor, keeping the kitchen and living downstairs and having bedrooms on the first floor. A third option would be have a formal living area at the rear of the first floor and have stairs connecting down to the kitchen and courtyard. That way, we can open up the ground floor to the courtyard and still keep the city skyline view in a common area.