webuser_534718872

Bathroom layout help please!

Mark
2 years ago

We are renovating our old laundry into a main bathroom.
We would like to get the following into the plan:
Built in bath
Toilet
Vanity (as large as possible)
Shower (min 900 x 900 mm)
Heated towel rail

Any ideas for the layout?

The long window on the northern side of the room limits the options a bit.

If we can’t fit everything in then we could do a shower over the bath to make more room for a larger vanity and a larger bath.

Any help appreciated.

Comments (21)

• oklouise
    2 years ago

the wide window limits options dramatically and my suggestion has the shower in the only space i could find that still leaves room for a standard sized vanity and generous back to wall corner bath but either the doorway has to be rebuilt to suit a standard shower or you will need a custom sized shower that are available less than 90cm deep but, if you rehang the door and reduce the opening you should be able to create enough wall space to use a standard shower and still use a standard 750 wide door and the back of the door becomes a handy place for an extra towel rail but don't forget a floor stop to protect the glass screen and consider under tile floor heating to heat the whole room and not just the towels

• Kate
    2 years ago

This but not really better

• oklouise
    2 years ago

if a walk in shower floor can be installed Kate's suggestion could be the best option with careful choice of bath and toilet to ensure comfortable knee space

• Mark
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That looks better. I do worry about towel rail placement? Specifically for large bath towels.

One option I am considering is to brick up one section of the window in the north east corner to create a 935 mm section of wall in the corner (see picture).
    This might give some more options for shower placement.

• Mark
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry, 985 mm

• swizzles95
    2 years ago

Don’t mess with windows is my advice — expensive, difficult, and very hard to patch convincingly. You should have the space for everything you’re after there — it’s a decent size really. Here’s a tweak to the previous two concepts, using oklouise’s ever-helpful dimensions as a guide :-)

NB: the shower is a standard box cubicle with 2 glass walls, which would make it feel more open and allow light through better. A curved-corner type glass door would also work (curving toward the vanity of course) and would also minimise the elbow-knocking potential. The vanity is a full metre wide in this scenario — surely that’s enough? Not for two sinks, but try measuring it yourself, it’s pretty big — and could easily be hung off the back wall or freestanding if the window is too low. Just leave a slight gap. The toilet and bath easily fit along the opposite wall, and could be switched if desired.

Also: if you don’t mind reaching over the bath to get a towel, above the bath next to the door is my pick. If that’s a real pet hate, then you could shrink the doorway a little as oklouise suggested (or, more easily perhaps, the cupboard) and add in 100mm for the rail to sit next to the door. Either way I’d rehang the door to open the other way, save the shower glass.

See watcha think :-)

• oklouise
    2 years ago

renovation is always about compromise and a towel rail above the toilet or the end of the bath or on the side of the linen cupboard or a hook in any available space or even a free standing towel rack that can be aired outside is a much better option than bricking up a window for a towel rail

• Gary Sharp
    2 years ago

Maybe a slightly different approach with a symmetrical arrangement with a 1500 bath and his and her basins.... use side mounted pivot mirrors or corner cabinets to not affect the window

• Mark
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think i should go back a step.
    This is the existing layout in attached picture. I have been assuming that the best thing to do is combine the two existing windows and the existing door into one large window (bricking up the lower half of the doorway). But now I’m thinking this is not the best option.

Also attached is a photo of the outside of these rooms. You can see the windows are different materials and different sizes & heights.

We are going to demolish the wall between old laundry and old WC.

Thoughts on how best to manage the external areas with thoughts on internal bathroom layout and cost??

• Mark
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Really interesting idea Gary.

• Mark
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Swizzles95 would you leave both windows as is and cover up external doorway? Maybe make a feature of it on outside?

• Gary Sharp
    2 years ago

OK.. a more dramatic variation that uses a central Japanese bath with wider basin areas and a more conventional bath with basins with freestanding basin mirrors

• Gary Sharp
    2 years ago

Hmm japanese option didnt seem to post... here it is again

• Gary Sharp
    2 years ago

Well that photo and that more detailed plan is a bit late... makes a difference... you are going to have to do a bit of external wall work.. best to keep the door opening and lintels, brick off the other windows . 1 window still gives you a lot of light... but anything will be costly with many trades.. I assume that side elevation is not very pretty....

• Kate
    2 years ago

This would be better with bricking up door to give space for towel rail. Both windows are at diff levels so will need work to reinstate. Thanks about what you really need. You can put a sealed window in shower, or a hog window across lot would be better

• Kate
    2 years ago

Door swing could stay as is, I had been looking at toilet there but changed to other side

• Kate
    2 years ago

I would be tempted to pull out the whole wall of brick and start again with windows in the right spot to meet your internal layout. Then reclad maybe in the timber you have above unless you can get enough bricks.

• Mark
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Kate.
    I will give this some thought. Not sure pulling out all the brick will be so easy…

• Kate
    2 years ago

Sorry about the typos. It’s very typical of me sadly not to proofread. I meant high window not hog

• swizzles95
    2 years ago

Hi Mark — if you can keep that wall clear then all external modifications can be considered like plastic surgery: elective, aesthetic and can be as cheap or expensive as you like. You could leave that wall as is and spend the budget entirely on fittings and finishes (if you don’t mind an external door in a bathroom), or rip the lot out and replace with something else. Either way it’s best to decide beforehand to negate the need for further patching, but what you do with that wall will have an enormous impact — if, for example, you ripped that wall apart and put in a 1.5m window, you would have space next to it in the corner for a shower or towel rail; or you could remove all windows and replace the door with a tall frosted window which would open up space either side.
    Nutshell: what you do with that outside wall — if anything — will determine most of the layout. Best place to start then might be to price up alterations to the brickwork, replacing windows etc, to see how much of the budget will be swallowed up by altering it, especially as the trades to alter external walls are totally different to renovating bathrooms. Money money money MONey — MON-AY!
    Hopefully that helps :-P