buildwithmesim

Master bedroom layout

Sim
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi guys... need help in selecting the layout for the master bedroom. The bedroom space is 4.9 x 3.9m and the other corner of the bedroom is 2.8 x 3m (adjacent to bedroom 5)
Picture in the first comment
Thanks

Comments (44)

• Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

3 options

• Liz
    2 years ago

Option 3 gives best clothes storage space. Do you intend to put a couch & 2 armchairs or something smaller for sitting area - option 3 could be too squishy with what is drawn plus bed.
    I can't tell from plans, but what height are the windows on the bulkhead wall? And will your bed fit between the windows?

Sim thanked Liz
  • Related Discussions

need a help for my master bedroom

Q

Comments (1)
    First you would need to provide a floor plan and photos of your existing master bedroom / ensuite area.
    ...See More

Bedroom ideas please

Q

Comments (9)
    no problem, so are you saying that wall is closest, but stronger, do you think it might like a smokey teal? that is very in right now, or is it like the grayed out turquoise on the coverlet? Grey would be a wonderful accent with that. Have you thought of making your headboard? So amazingly simple? Give yourself like a nice padded gray? Could go for a silk or velvet? oh do you have dark hairy people? you know like black retrievers or something? that could be a problem. If you put covered buttons, there is actually a little tool (under $10 does it all for you. really glam it up. do these help? I think i would go with light gray or a variation of the wall color. let me know when you are ready for more. Couple ideas for bedside stands, first 2 less than $100, last one idea for alternative.
    ...See More

Advice on layout of ensuite and wardrobe for our master b/room.

Q

Comments (4)
    Bex, if you go into the Aus forum, you will see your question isn't showing. If you want ideas, it's best to post in there. FYI. You need to change your country and re post.
    ...See More

Master bedroom and ensuite renovation… ideas please!

Q

Comments (1)
    Would it be more cost effective to leave shower and toilet where they are… or would it cost much more to swap them over? Another idea was to build shower outside the floor plan and go under the eaves… could this be done? Thank you
    ...See More
  • siriuskey
    2 years ago

Can you show more of that floor. Plus it looks like when the ensuite doors are open and you are in bed you will be looking directly at the toilet.

Sim thanked siriuskey
  • Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your response guys.

I don't think I will be able to put the sofa and chair, it will be squished for sure..

Regarding the ensuite doors- it will be double sliding cavity doors.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

Hi Meg the cavity doors will expose the toilet from the bed, why is the master so big with the next bedroom so small?

• Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @siriuskey I don't think it should.. yeah, bed 5 is the smallest bedroom we have. I was also considering giving some space from my master bedroom depending on what layout I select for my master bedroom.. the other bedrooms are sized 3.4*3

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

can you show the whole floor

• Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

here you go @siriuskey.. thank you so much for your help!

• macyjean
    2 years ago

I don't like the proportions either.

One thing I would expect in a generous 5 bedroom home is a separate wc in the ensuite.

How do you plan to use the sitting area, conversation area, eating breakfast, facing the tv?

Sim thanked macyjean
  • Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @macyjean it's a corner lot.. so the rumpus area is my secondary facade & will be overlooking a park. I'm imagining spending some good family time with nice pleasant park views from the rumpus area. I agree with the proportions however I'm not able to fit all my needs in this plan.. do you have any recommendations? I need 5 bedrooms on top and 4 bedroom to have direct access to the ensuite.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

Thank you, why do you want a jack and jill bathroom? the house opposite us had this and the new owners took it out as they didn't like it. The Rumpus with the view sounds lovely though, how many kids and ages live in the house and how many bathrooms/toilets are down stairs

(.I need 5 bedrooms on top and 4 bedroom to have direct access to the ensuite.)

Meaning 5 bedrooms upstairs, master with ensuite and 4 bedrooms with access to a family bathroom plus separate WC ?

• Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @siriuskey - my partners & my mum both are staying with us :) and we have 2 kids... the idea is to have 2 separate baths for both the mums. The guest room on the ground floor won't be used unless we have extended family visiting us. So Bed 5 & Bed 2 ensuite will be shared by my mum and my daughter. Bed 3 will be my partners mum and Bed 4 my son who will share main bath :)

• macyjean
    2 years ago

Are you saying your bedroom is also going to be a living area for the family to enjoy the view?

A few things to think about.

WIR's can be a waste of floorspace without necessarily providing more storage space. Corners are difficult to fit out. Built-in robes can be more efficient for storage and be useful as sound buffers too.

Multiple small ensuites can seem generous but size and layout can be inconvenient in terms of wall space for towel rails. Multiple doors mean multiple users have to remember to lock them. The layout sets up a situation where people will have to go downstairs or use someone else's ensuite to use the wc if someone is in the shower. Bedroom 2 has a toilet flushing on the other side of the wall.

For the future have you thought about the stairs? At least allow for a space where one of those personal lifts can be installed if needed.

• Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thanks @macyjean.. sorry I misunderstood the rumpus and the master ensuite retreat space.. the master bedroom is the primary facade and then we have rumpus which is our secondary facade that is facing a park.. The idea of having the retreat in the master ensuite was just to have a seating area for family time conversations, games, and such things. the master bedroom looks big/grand with the seating arrangement but not too fussed about it.. thanks for the other points you mentioned, I will certainly take them into consideration.

• macyjean
    2 years ago

It's all space you have to pay to heat/cool. Two upstairs living areas for the family, one of which is in your bedroom, too many doors, no powder room, it seems generous but not functional.

Adding, the reason I asked how you'd use the space is to have something to base an answer to the original question on, which was about the master bedroom layout, some of that relates to the obvious like bed and ensuite and clothes storage but with additional space it also depends on the intended purpose of that additional space.

Sim thanked macyjean
  • Liz
    2 years ago

When you say your Mum and mother-in-law are staying with you, is it a long term arrangement or a shorter term temporary arrangement? And have you been living as a 3 generation household for a while?
    I grew up in a 3 generation home and now my own home has 3 generations which is a long term arrangement. We have a master suite (my mum uses) and 2 std size bedrooms - we are trying to change our layout to create 2 master suites so we each have privacy and our own space.
    If your arrangement is long term, you may want to consider greater separation and also whether being upstairs with stairs to navigate is the best option for your Mum and mother-in-law.

Sim thanked Liz
  • PRO
    Foshan Yubang Cabinets
    2 years ago

I think option 2 is the best, make WIR in L shape, plus an island/ a booth seating.

You will have lot of spaces for clothes and the bed room look more open.

Sim thanked Foshan Yubang Cabinets
  • C P
    2 years ago

It really feels like you're trying to squeeze too many rooms into this space. Is there any chance we can see the plans for downstairs. I just question how that rumpus/study combination is really going to work.

Sim thanked C P
  • dreamer
    2 years ago

You are making a small space even smaller with the rumpus and study set up. I would remove the study wall and have the study desk along the bedroom 4 wall. Agree with all the comments, too many doors and sooo squishy.

Sim thanked dreamer
  • dreamer
    2 years ago

It appears on plans, that there is ducting on either side of the study wall. Is this why the wall is there? To get aircon to downstairs?
    Seems a huge compromise on useable space to have the ducting in that area. And the master suite WIR is the same size, almost, as the BED 5!!

• Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for helping me improve my floor plan... much appreciated!

@Liz - yes it's a permanent arrangement! Will have a spare guest room downstairs for aging mums :)

@C P - attaching the ground floor plan, let me know if you have any feedback.. thanks :)

@Kate - you have a valid point on the sliding doors, will consider.. thanks :)

@dreamer - oh yes! valid point on the aircon ducting will see if it can be moved somewhere else.. wanted to add separation from the rumpus area hence added a wall for the study

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions for ground floor plan too :)

Elevation C - is North

Elevation D - Secondary facade will overlook a park

Elevation A - Primary facade

Have around 6 m of the backyard & "L" shape alfreco too. The Dining area will have a large fixed window facing the pool.

• C P
    2 years ago

So there's no shower downstairs despite having a pool and a guest bedroom?

• dreamer
    2 years ago

I think the shower is squashed under the PDR writing next to the toilet.

• Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There is 1.6m shower!

• macyjean
    2 years ago

I'm only questioning this for better understanding to make any suggestions relate to your needs. The mums aren't sharing an ensuite to the extent that the kids will have to share their bathrooms with their grandmothers, but in the future both can share the downstairs bedroom?

Did you say where you are building? If winters require heating and the alfresco is covered you are wasting free northern solar access.

What is the space between the kitchen, family and dining? It looks like just, open space, an overly large thoroughfare. Do you really want to combine laundry and WIP, and powder room and shower room, which I note will also be the bathroom for the guest room?

I can understand wanting separation between quiet study area and noisy rumpus room, but I'm not sure the wall is sufficient or achieves it efficiently?

You appear to have two undefined areas, the excess in the master bedroom and the thoroughfare in the middle of the downstairs living, but where you could benefit from more space for functionality and comfort you don't have it?

• dreamer
    2 years ago

May I suggest something like this for upstairs. Reduce master WIR. Add BIR to bed 5 and bed 2. Arrange previous WIR area to be a separate powder room, and bathroom with shower and vanity. Sketch is not to scale, just a suggestion for an alternative plan.

Sim thanked dreamer
  • Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @macyjean - thank you for taking out your time to help me with my plan. Worst case if both mums need bedrooms down, will convert theater that means they will have to share the same bathroom downstairs.

Yes, I'm building with a volume builder who allows few custom changes like moving walls, changing the room size.. what they won't do is move the stairs and change things where beams would get impacted.... Unfortunately, I cannot leave the Alfresco open as it supports the room on top

The kitchen is 2.5m x 4.3m , the Dining is 4.4 x 3 m, and the kitchen & family distance is 6.7m which means my family is 6.7 x 4.3 m.

I was thinking to use the open space for dining which is in between family and kitchen. And where the dining is I could put a cozy seating arrangement for family games or maybe a snooker table (haven't decided yet)

I'll consider rumpus and study wall.. looks like there's no point in having a wall.. however not sure where could I cut out some space for a separate study. With the lockdown, WFH nook is very important.

• Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also I'm sharing the original plan which we customized. Happy to know if it could be customised in a better way.. we need 5 bedrooms on first floor, 4 bedrooms to have ensuite. Kitchen on the exterior towards the wall will be preferred. Need to have as many as windows on Elevation D (park facing).

Thanks guys!

• Liz
    2 years ago

Good to see original plans. Why if you need 5 bedrooms did you choose a 4 bed house plan? Did the builder not have any 5 house plans? Or did your needs change after picking the plan?

• macyjean
    2 years ago

So the study space off the rumpus is not for the kids for doing homework, it's a home office for yourselves?

Then that could be a use for the excess space in the master bedroom, going back to your original question.

So originally the laundry and panrtry were separate?

Why combine them?

• Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @Liz - builder don't have 5 bedroom plan on first floor.. so we made customized it.

@macyjean - sorry, yes its home office. Yes, the laundry & pantry were separate before. The pantry was behind the kitchen in the OG plan, I want to put fixed glass as kitchen splashback hence moved the kitchen to the wall and that's why combined laundry and pantry. Moreover, when we visited the display home we felt that the space in the original plan between the kitchen and family was less and felt squished

• C P
    2 years ago

Sorry my eyes aren't good on this phone. Didn't see the shower downstairs.
    Um maybe I can't count but aren't you turning a 4 bedroom house into a 6 bedroom house?

• Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @C P - turning 5 into 6.. so there's 1 guest room on the ground floor and 5 on top.

• Liz
    2 years ago

What CP meant I think was that the original plan was 4 bed and your customisation is now 6 beds - 5 upstairs and 1 downstairs.
    I know you said your builder doesn't have 5 bedroom house plans where all bedrooms are on top floor, but do they have any where the 5 bedrooms are across the 2 floors. It may be easier to customise a house that already has enough rooms for what you need.

• Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just to clarify the original plan was 5 beds - 1 on the ground + 4 on top. We customized to make it 6 bed plan - 1 on the ground + 5 on top. The builder doesn't have total of 6 bed plan by default hence customisation needed :(

• Liz
    2 years ago

My eyes are really bad then as I can't find a bedroom on the ground floor of the original plans. I see a living, library, dining, family, kitchen, powder room and laundry, but no bedroom! Where is the ground floor bedroom on the original plans?

• macyjean
    2 years ago

Looks like no downstairs bedroom in the original plan.

So a few things that concern me about the practicality of the plan. For such a large home with so many bedrooms and bathrooms and walk-in cupboards and spare/additional spaces surely there are better ways to put it all together.

Bedrooms for grandparents, but located upstairs with no future provision for lift.

Spare bedroom downstairs which might one day be used permanently, but with no private access to a bathroom, necessitating walking across public areas, and preventing use by others of powder room when someone is showering.

Combined laundry pantry puts dirty clothes together with food storage/prep.

Home workspace adjacent to kids rumpus room with no noise barrier.

Sim thanked macyjean
  • Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ah sorry @Liz...I didn't realise the variation we did on ground floor... we have extended the ground floor lib and that large space has been converted to guest and theatre.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

So the original upstairs bathroom plan was very similar to my proposal that I posted yesterday. Just saying.....

• Sim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@dreamer ... Yeah that's correct... we changed that to give the direct access from the 2 bedroom

• dreamer
    2 years ago

Using the original upstairs plan, this is my suggestion. Occupants of bed 5 and 2 share a decent bathroom. Bed 3 and 4 have their own ensuite. Install BIR not WIR. Get rid of the rumpus. You have a theatre room downstairs, and a decent family room. Have a wall of desk for study.

Sim thanked dreamer
  • dreamer
    2 years ago

Or even this. Make study area into ensuite for bedroom 4. Plus a linen cupboard. Make bath into a ensuite for bed 3. Have a decent bathroom for bed 5 and 2 to share. Make rumpus into study area.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

The above means your wonderful Mums can have their own ensuite without having to share. Rooms are the same size, no favorites...

Sim thanked dreamer