debbiejames602

White external paint to compliment Surfmist and Dune

Debbie JAMES
2 years ago

Our roof, garage door and windows are all surfmist and the rendered pillars are dune. we have a timber infill painted in wallaby but i want to paint it a white but not sure which white. The internal of our front door will be painted the same as our internal walls but a gloss Minimalist 1. Im assuming I paint the external of front door Minamalist 1 as well. The first photo is our house at the moment 2 photo is the look im after.

Comments (23)

• Kate
    2 years ago

I’d paint it and the outside the of the door surfmist to match the other ‘white’. The door could be any colour but I would not introduce minamalist outside

Debbie JAMES thanked Kate
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kate will it look odd on the internal door if its not the same as my walls.

• Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Liz
    2 years ago

You could always paint the front door the minimalist on the interior and surfmist or a colour (not white) on the exterior.

Debbie JAMES thanked Liz
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Im wanting to keep it white so will look at that option. i know our previous home we built yeaes ago the onternal was same color as walls then the outsude was slightly different.

• Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Excuse the typos

• Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Im thinking of Dulux White Natural for exterior of front door. ive read it compliments

surfmist.

• Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Have paint internal and external front door really happy with how it has come up, will paint timber infill same as door. Next looking for pendant lights for hallway, but as our ceiling is standard height 2.4 they cant hang down to far.

• Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

Looks gorgeous, Temple and Webster have some gorgeous lighting, love this one with timber detailing will highlight your floors and artwork frames called the Serveni, Montmorency is another, Zest have some gorgeous lighting as well

Debbie JAMES thanked Julie Herbert
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Julie, the pendant lights are lovely just have to check they dont hang to low. Still working on whether I put floor runner down, bench seat or console under artwork or keep in minimal.

• robinfk
    2 years ago

I love the new paint work. Looks great Debbie. When the electrician installs the lights they can usually adjust the cord length to hang as low/high as you like.

Debbie JAMES thanked robinfk
  • pottsy99
    2 years ago

Going back to your original query , I understand what you are trying to do , but something doesn't look quite right IMO . The inspirational picture doesn't grab me , but they have gone with 3 elements -- crisp white , reddish brick , and a sandy off-white .

Even ignoring the grey , and I accept it may be a trick of the light or the different materials , but you seem to have 4 different off-whites -- even the narrow and wider rendered pillars seem different shades ?

Also , I can't make out the material around the door -- it doesn't look to be the brick , so I assume it is brown stained wood ? To get more contrast , and to stick closer to your inspo pic , I would go a slightly sandyer main render , the infill panel in the same crisp white as your garage and entrance doors and gable , but the timber around the door in a charcoal or Japanese black -- that will give a more uniform look , similar to your inspo pic .

Debbie JAMES thanked pottsy99
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Potty99 thank you for your suggestions, the photo I posted of our house before painting is the first photo and its just the crappy light that you think there are 3 different whites. The pillars are dune, timber infill wallaby, door is English Tea. Garage, windows, facia and gutters are all surfmist. Im not copying the second photo completly I just wanted my front facade lighter. After suggestions from an interior decorator I decided to paint door and timber infill in facade surfmist same as windows, garage door, etc. and leave the rendered pillars dune.

• pottsy99
    2 years ago

I was referring to the photo about 7 posts up , with the white entrance door , posted yesterday .

If you do the infill panel in a crisp white ( the same as the door ) it will look smarter than the existing steel bluey grey , but too similar to the render IMO . And in that picture , the 2 pillars each look different shades .

The garage door also looks white , as does the gutter , but will you also do 'that' infill panel in white , or the same off-white as your render , or go a 'dirtier' shade similar to your inspo pic ?

• Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

I absolutely love the look you have created by painting the inside of the door white, the artwork is beautiful, love your idea of a bench seat, with the artwork, seat and pendant/s it will look stunning, keeping it minimal will highlight everything you have done.

• Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Julie you always offer great suggestions, love the first and last bench seat. Can you please tell me which stores they are from.

• Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

Me too, the first one is from Life Interiors, the other Living by Design.

• Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Painted timber infill in facade surfmist but as we didnt undercoat over wallaby now looks a cream white compared to surfmist garage door. Haymes paint said to undercoat and do 2 coats of surfmist. Are there any painters out there that can offer suggestion or is there another white I can use.

• Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• bigreader
    2 years ago

It sounds counter productive but you need to go over the Wallaby with a grey undercoat before the white paint on top. If you go to a paint shop they’ll help you. The Grey undercoat is sometimes labelled deep or similar. I used it many years ago after I outgrew tobacco red bedroom walls and fell for peaceful white. I’m sure there are other undercoats out there that would also do the job. I used Dulux but Zinser is also a good brand. Your paint shop may even have an in-house label that would be good.

Debbie JAMES thanked bigreader
  • gregpratt1960
    2 years ago

I'm interested in chatting with some people currently in the renovation market for research on a new platform that will tag paint types and colours and show you the closest property with that colour. If you are interested in looking at a prototype please email me at greg@whobuiltthat.com.au. Thanks.