mclim127

Glossy vs Matt Glass splashback for Kitchen and Laundry

Cheng Lim
2 years ago

I have chosen Blossom White Matt Thermolaminated for my kitchen cabinets and Georgian Bluffs Caesarstone as bench top. My wall will be Soft Apparition from Wattyl. I have also chosen Ultraglaze White Ultramatt for the laundry cabinets and Raven Caesarstone. Wall the same colour i.e. Soft Apparition. I haven't chosen the colour for the glass splashback. If you could help me chose the colour/colours for both my kitchen and Laundry splashback, that will be great. Also, I like to know whether the Glossy Glass splashback is easier to maintain than Matt Glass splashback or not. I do like the look of the Matt Glass splashback but I was told that it is harder to maintian/clean. Please help as soon as possible.

Comments (26)

• bigreader
    2 years ago

Does your budget stretch to using the benchtop material as a splashback? I’m not a fan of glass splashbacks but have what you love.

Cheng Lim thanked bigreader
  • Kate
    2 years ago

I’d pick up the base colour of the ceaserstone, or use it as the backsplash. Otherwise marble tiles as per the ceaserstone photos would look great

Cheng Lim thanked Kate
  • Cheng Lim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Bigreader, have to intention to get stone for splashback. Had tiles before, want a change to glass splashback. Don't know whether to go for Glossy or Matt Finish for the glass splashback. Which one is easier to maintain. As I said I like to look of the Matt Finish but was told that it is hard to maintain. Is it true?

• Cheng Lim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Kate, I have picked some base colours for of the caesarstones (Georgian Bluff and Raven), don't really want tiles for the splashback. Any idea whether it is better to go for Glossy or Matt Finish glass splashback? Which one is easier to maintain.

• Kate
    2 years ago

Sorry. What makes the glass Matt? I thought it was the paint finish behind

• bigreader
    2 years ago

Sorry. I can’t comment on glass splashbacks. I don’t like them so I’ve never used or researched them. But suppliers often has samples. Use the samples to test cleaning and then you’ll have your answer.

• Cheng Lim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry Bigreader, I do like glass splashbacks. Samples may not be suitable to test cleaning but I will try. Thanks. `

• Cheng Lim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kate, as far as I know one looks glossier than the other but I was told Matt is harder to maintain than Glossy finish. I wonder why and whether it is true?

• Kate
    2 years ago

I just found Matt glass on Stegner and another website and they recommend nanoclean coating which is what they use on shower screens.

• Cheng Lim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Kate.

• macyjean
    2 years ago

Gloss surfaces always seem easier to clean, I'm sure there's a scientific explanation for that, something to do with the texture at a microscopic level I'd guess. In the case of glass I thought it's always smooth, unless something has been done to it, as in frosted or sandblasted glass. Thinking back to the old frosted shower screens, I much prefer something that needs less scrubbing.

If you want a change from tiles but don't want anything glossy and do want ease of maintenance, I thought Bigreader's suggestion of using the same banchtop material was good.

• Cheng Lim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Aus Joinery Kitchen Pty Ltd., very interesting to hear that glass splashback is harder to maintain. Several friends of mine has glass splashbacks in their kitchens and they are very happy with them. One particular friend has it over 10 years in her kitchen and told me that with her cooking (Chinese frying etc.), she is very happy how easy it is to clean vs tiles. I want a change from tiles to glass splashback because I don't want to deal with the grout.

• Cheng Lim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you macyjean. I thought of stones but I was told that I need to use something else besides stone directly above my gas stove ( I like using Gas for Chinese cooking). I don't think I like my kitchen to have some part stone and some part something else (glass or stainless stain etc.) as my splashback, that will look horrible.

• macyjean
    2 years ago

"glass splashback is harder to maintain"

What?

"I want a change from tiles to glass splashback because I don't want to deal with the grout."

Still reckon benchtop material is a suggestion worth thinking about if you want a grout-free matte surface.

• Cheng Lim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi macyjean,

I didn't say glass splashback is harder to maintain, Aus Joinery Kitchen Pty Ltd said that. My benchtop is caesarstone, I was told that I can't have caesarstone as splashback directly above my Gas Stovetop, I need to have something else because of the heat from the Gas Stove. I am wondering which glass splashback is easier to maintain, glass splashback with glossy or matte finish?

• macyjean
    2 years ago

I must have been typing when you posted, sorry for the confusion.

• Cheng Lim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It's ok macyjean, with comments back and forth, it is fairly easy to misread some. Thanks for trying to help.

• afjp
    2 years ago

I have a matt glass splashback and find it very easy to maintain, ive had gloss in the past and find any marks very easy to see when shiny finish compared to matt.

• Cheng Lim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you afjp. Can you please tell me which company did you get your matt glass splashback from? I approached Decoglaze recently and they came back to tell me that Matt finish glass takes a little more looking after. My current Kitchen renovation guy said the same thing. If you could let me know which company did you use, that will be great. Thanks.

• afjp
    2 years ago

I used BBS glass splashbacks, they are in Sydney

• Cheng Lim
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi afjp, I am in Melbourne so I can forget about them. Thanks anyway.

• macyjean
    2 years ago

Can you get a couple of samples and test them?

I can imagine as with other surfaces, the gloss is easier to clean than the matt, unless perhaps the matt is treated with some kind of coating, as Kate described.

The people who have told you about the difference in maintenance are right to make sure you know there is a difference.

But maybe the difference isn't that significant if your personal preference is the matt? It might be worth getting a sample of each and taking it home and spilling some typical cooktop splashes on them, letting them dry and seeing how they clean up after? That might help you decide if the matt would be much more trouble or not too bad.

• Cheng Lim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you macyjean. I have to be careful with the coating for Matte Finish as the coating may diminish over the years therefore harder to maintain later. Your suggestion is good. With my Matte finish cabinets and my caesarstone benchtop may be glossy glass splashback will make it nicer eventhough I like Matte finish glass splashback, I have to think about it. Thank you for your great help.

• macyjean
    2 years ago

If you've been told that, check if the coating come with a warranty?

• Cheng Lim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Of course macyjean. Thanks.