webuser_585203582

Wood rot and mould from ensuite leak

HU-585203582
2 years ago

Hi all,
We are looking at buying a property that has had previous water damage due to a shower leak. The water seeped through to the adjoining bedroom cupboard drywall and garage walls. There is some wood rot on skirting boards and mould. We are told it was left some time before the leak was fixed so I imagine there is a mould problem inside the walls as well.
The building and pest report suggested the timber inside the walls may need to be replaced along with a full bathroom renovation if the leak returns.
What are our options here? Can a mould treatment service clean mould inside walls? Can you live in a house while the ensuite is renovated?
I'm a complete rookie trying to buy my first home so I have no idea about these things.
Thanks

Comments (9)

• HU-585203582
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Example of wood rot in bedroom cupboard

• dreamer
    2 years ago

Yes you can live in a house why the bathroom is being repaired. But with the photo posted you have a mould issue, and for your healthy and safety, I would not be moving into the home until the mould is got rid of completely. The inspectors have told you the wall may need replacing, which involves taking the plaster or gyprock away from wall and going back to the studs of home. Only then can the experts see what needs rebuilding. And the wood rot may be in all the floors as well. Unless you are experienced at organising tradesmen or have plenty of money to completely renovate this home, maybe it might be a home to pass by. But this also depends on cost of home and location. Do these things out way the money that will need to be spent to get the home habitable.

HU-585203582 thanked dreamer
  • dreamer
    2 years ago

• Kate
    2 years ago

We had serious mould in a unit we bought. Most of the house had flooded so much bigger scale. But the mould company gutted the affected areas, sanded the wood frames and treated them. They also removed a couple of inches of soil under the house. All this was done under tented conditions so the mould spores didn’t spread. After all restoration works completed we ran air purifier for a couple of days to pick up any final spores and then got clean air test. I do recommend this process. The only way is to expose the area to see the extent of damage but let the professionals do it to avoid health Impacts of workers and yourself. Mould spores grow easily and can lay dormant so don’t be fooled with cheap fixes.

HU-585203582 thanked Kate
  • PRO
    Beach Bathrooms
    2 years ago

Ask the seller for their building inspection and have your own building inspection, based on the sellers building inspection

Full bathroom renovation $30,000 + , Stripping of gyprock, Replacing water damaged timber, Plumbing, New Gyprock, Joinery to the cupboard, removal of waste, Paint, stress.

$ 100,000 reduction in house price minimum

HU-585203582 thanked Beach Bathrooms
  • HU-585203582
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone for your information. I had a feeling it wasn't as simple as I'd first thought! Appreciate your help.

• Kate
    2 years ago

Can be worth it if you get the right price. But no you can’t live in a house with that amount of mould. Has to be addressed before you move in.

• oklouise
    2 years ago

all excellent advice but would much rather buy a house with known issues that can help reduce the purchase price than discover something like this that has been disguised under a layer of fresh paint so be careful to check all other aspects of the house to make sure that one problem doesn't distract from another area...if the location is good and the price is right most things can be fixed