downiethomson

A "forever home" transformation

Jane Thomson Interior Design
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My clients Peter and June have been beautiful lifelong clients... So after nearly 22 years after completing a small renovation for them previously, I was beyond thrilled when they asked me to work on a full renovation for a home that they could live out the rest of their lives in. Being in their mid to late 80’s they wanted to make that the kitchen was in tip top shape to be servicing an elderly couple. Their kitchen was around 40 years old! So it needed a well overdue makeover.

We first had an exchange of ideas and basically for me to just listen! Knowing that all heavy items should be stored at waist level so bending wasn’t a problem and things like the microwave to be at a good height so again taking something heavy out of the microwave was a simple easy and safe process.

Again the oven we treated was the same as the microwave. So an under-bench oven wasn’t in the mix. It was all about safety. With any project, I undertake its always about my client's needs

Peter and June were amazing when it comes to trust. They wanted me to lead the way with the aesthetics and basically said “ do your thing” Of course based on their personal preferences I came up with a simple and classic look for their space. They wanted clean lines and nothing fussy... So I feel that I nailed the brief, as they said they couldn’t have been happier.

Before:

After:

Comments (12)

• Kyle Hams
    2 years ago

Wow, so much more modern and light!

Jane Thomson Interior Design thanked Kyle Hams
  • PRO
    Studio RVD
    2 years ago

Love!

Jane Thomson Interior Design thanked Studio RVD
  • PRO
    Jehan Hapuarachchi
    2 years ago

Really brought this place into the 21st century!! Amazing work

Jane Thomson Interior Design thanked Jehan Hapuarachchi
  • Asif Ali
    2 years ago

In the spirit of Halloween, vibes of Frankenstein chillin' at the crib in Hotel Transylvania to now what is a beautiful space with nice lighting where no vampire would want to be.

• K s
    2 years ago

Think it was a mistake only having space on 1 side of hob

• PRO
    Jane Thomson Interior Design
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hey K s thanks for your comment. This wasn’t a mistake. The client insisted that the cooktop was placed on the general benchtop. I specified the island bench. They were totally fine having the cooktop with little space beside the cooktop

• Kate
    2 years ago

Love,y but you can’t pole dance on the benchtop anymore!

• User
    2 years ago

But you can tap dance around the basin Kate haha !

And yet again -- 2 of 3 before shots taken with every light off and the shutters drawn -- the after ones have every light including the counterbalanced one and all the new downlights on -- and people say how much 'brighter' it looks ! Dohhhh !

• Candice Mitchell
    2 years ago

Love it! So modern!!

• dorosar
    2 years ago

So...I would have rounded off the sharp "hip catcher" corners on the island. Other than that, nice work, glad your clients are pleased with the result.

• Creativelychallenged
    2 years ago

I was thinking the same thing about rounding off the corners - rounded corners. Otherwise, it looks beautiful. I love the 3 colours used on the cupboards. What is the white thing jutting out above the black cupboards above the fridge?