kate_grandison

Seeking styling tips for a guest bedroom

Kate
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Help greatly appreciated to create a more modern vibe in oue guest bedroom. Maybe reframe the original oil artwork (white mount & raw oak frame?) and pick some colours for decor/linen? Prefer to retain the queen size bed as too costly to replace ATM. Spanish cotton bedspread is in good condition. Curtains are brand new as this is a new build home.

Comments (21)

• Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

Yes reframe your lovely artwork with the white mat and oak frame, go white bedding , add luxurious fabrics like linen, velvet, woven cotton for your cushions and throws, pick up a colour to compliment artwork, maybe a new lamp for bedside table, or hang a pendant for a lovely look.

Kate thanked Julie Herbert
  • Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Love it Juiie. Maybe Euro cushions. with rust coloured linen pillow cases which will cover some of the bedhead? I might look at Aura or linen house. We’re on the same page. Thanks again - you’re awesome. Transitioning from a Californian Bungalow to a modern house has been interesting - a lot of old furnirure just did not work sadly.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

Love it Julie, As Julie suggests, re frame with a large white mat and frame so that the actual painting looks smaller. I love the simple square set timber frame approx 6cm deep

Kate thanked siriuskey
  • Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Does square set mean a floating timber frame?

• davincicalbourne
    2 years ago

Changing the bedside lamp to one with a patterned shade would soften the look. You could look for one that references colours in your artwork or new bed linen. Have fun & love to see the finished result.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

this photo should show you what I meant, using light timber beading, very exciting having built a new home, congratulations

Kate thanked siriuskey
  • Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

Love your ideas using large euros for covering bedhead, using a rug at the end of bed could look beautiful also.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

I think you need something across the foot of the bed to cover the difference between the mattress and the bed frame, perhaps a throw similar to julie's pictures or a folded Doona

Kate thanked siriuskey
  • Kate
    2 years ago

As per Siriuskey the base of bed throws me. I’d see how tucking in the bedspread looks and add a thick throw for some chunky texture. The painting needs a much bigger mount in that location or move it to over bed.
    The other first impression was the bed side table being so spindly. Try moving it to other side of bed or replace it, or both. If you move it you could get a floor lamp for something to give height on back wall

Kate thanked Kate
  • Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Great pickups - agree the bed side table is a tad dated. Will try moving and tucking in the bedspread. Orherwise will reevaluate the table/lamp situation and bedcover. Agree artwork beeds a larger mount to make it make it proportional in this locarion. Should the mount be double the current size?

• bigreader
    2 years ago

You room is quite nice, just need some warming up. Coming from a Cal Bung I’m assuming that your look will be transitional combing some existing pieces with the new house. Transitional is one of my fav styles. It adds warm to new builds, and is budget friendly. For your room it means that you either have the bedsides or the bed not both and replace one of them with a more transitional piece. It’s a hard choice because both are nice. Not all changes need to be made a once, you can establish a mood board and move in that direction. For my two cents. I’d keep the bedside it works with the proportions of the room (do you have another for the other side- it needs a balancing item) and replace the bed head with a fabric one (which can be found quite cheaply). Then use some of the soft furnishing ideas from above. An interim to replacing the bed head would be soften it by using two large European pillows in a wheat colour as camouflage.

Kate thanked bigreader
  • Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think the european pillows will do the trick. Eirher a wheat coloue linen or would a soft rust/clay colour be too harsh as this picks out a colour in the artwork. Getting there slowly - just taking time to make considered choices. Tganks agsin - everyobe is so helpful. 😀

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    2 years ago

I love that artwork! Never mind what the frame is! What about hanging it above the bed, picking a few of the colours for cushions and other things(?). Also plant ferns or something outside: if you can find a fast growing coastal blue flowing plants that would be brilliant! two bedside tables and larger (not lava) lamps with good reading globes! You could change the colours of trims: blues, greens or sandy colours. Is there a robe or a table for bags to sit on? If there was length in the room a bench across the end of the bed would be lovely to sit, pop bags and hide the end of the bed too. Let us see what you come up with too! :) Margot

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Margot: some great ideas - I also love the artwork so hence my reason for keeping it (I saved up and bought it in my 20's - I'm now 60 so has some good memories). There are NZ Rock lilies planted the full length of the side of the house which look lovely when they flower. Agree that I need a larger lamp (s). Moving the location of the bedside table as suggested above has made a big difference and creates the illusion of more space. Unfortunately there is not enough room at the end of the bed for a bench. There is a full length wardrobe with doors in the room so lots of storage.

• PRO
    2 years ago

Kate, You have a great eye for great art: a beautiful peaceful beach scene is my heaven: good on you saving for it and enjoying it all the years. Oh lilies sound lovely do they die off completely when out of season so need something else on the fence or to look at the rest of the year? (love to see them in flower!) I suggest two bedside tables each with a lamp :) If there is robe space for guests to hang things or somewhere for them to put their travel items then that is fine. Never mind the end of bed bench. Sound lovely: can I please come and stay so I can enjoy your artwork too. Cheers Margot

Kate thanked Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
  • Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thats lovely Margot - thanks for your compliments re the artwork. l splurged more recently on the painting below for our living room. With no holidays during COVID this was the next best thing - again very peaceful. The NZ rock lilies stay green all year round even when they are not flowering. We have planted jasmine on the fence so you can see this from the window - still getting established. We did an owner build home - l enjoyed the landscape design but have struggled with the interior.. Almost there…Have a good evening.

• PRO
    2 years ago

OOHH wow I love it. Yes very peaceful and beautiful. I have artists in the family so haven't ever chosen pieces for my walls but love those I have pinched from our brothers!! Clever you doing an owner builder... very lucky I say! I think you will be closer that you realize to the guest room looking wonderful........ OH and jasmine will be beautiful out of the window. Cheers MK

• PRO
    2 years ago

PS Kate I have just looked up the NZ rock lilies and realise I had some flowering in a pot last year: had no idea what they were except very pretty! Thank you I've learned somit today: I can go back to bed!!! ha ha

Kate thanked Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
  • PRO
    Annie Cass Landscapes
    2 years ago

Maybe it's the photograph, but to me the white walls just drown everything out. They also have the effect of emphasizing the modest size of the room. Try a dark grey-green on the walls instead, going as dark as you dare in a shade that complements the curtains.

• Alex Henry
    2 years ago

I'd add a more flowers here, you got more than enough space. Hope that this source will be helpful for you