webuser_526274487

Need an advice on my floor plan

Bandula Rodrigo
4 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

At the moment, I have few design dilemmas:

1. Distance between kitchen and dining

2. Location of powder room and second toilet (its on entry corridor)

3. I am considering moving master bed room next to study.

Just to give you context, this land is 23m wide at front, 17M at back. And length is 36M.

I am also planning to place pool at the back and vegi garden at the back.

Appreciate your help on this.

• Kate
    3 months ago

I have a pet hate of tiny handbasins. You are also missing a bath which should be in all house this size. Take some space from the family area. Rest is fine. Where is north?

Bandula Rodrigo thanked Kate
  • Kate
    3 months ago

The it nook has no window and no observation. Might as well be in bedrooms.

Bandula Rodrigo thanked Kate
  • Related Discussions

Need help open plan

Q

Cannot see photos very well. Looks like a wood floor, wood table, beige walls, beige drapes,white cabinets, white counter top, black bar stools and black chairs (some fabric and some black wood).. Cannot see chairs well enough to make suggestions. Cannot see blinds nor "slats" well enough to make suggestions. A white ceiling might make it seem higher. Tulip art is colorful and fun, I'd hang it in the entry or living room.
    ...See More

I need advice with flooring in new build.

Q

I think it would make both rooms too dark. Maybe go with a lighter floor colour?
    ...See More

I need help and advice for my old cork floor.

Q

You should remove the cork first as tiles need a flat and even surface to go on. Definitely remove the cork.
    ...See More

Floor plan advice please

Q

Is this a new build? I would suggest you look at each room in detail and put the actual furniture arrangement you will have, to the right scale, and think about how you will move through and use those spaces. Some of those look odd to me, but it may be the way you intend to use those spaces is different to my imagination. The access to the changing room seems only through the Kitchen. and either out the front door or dining and living to get to the pool area. How will this be fenced? Where is washing to be carried from the laundry? Is there a line nearby? Out the front door, or through kitchen dining and living? Bed 4 has to go through a living space to a bathroom, the living room is hard to imagine in use as arranged, and bed 2 and 3 look to have the beds right into a corner for no reason. How would you accommodate a double bed in these rooms? In a few years this may be what you want. If you will have other furniture, draw it in. There a large walk in cupboard/robe off a store room. What will be in the storage room? Draw that in too, so you know there is space and it won't block access to the robe. Many of the storage spaces/benches/shelves are shown with corner shelving arrangements which isn't often the best use of space. Bed 1 looks out onto the front access. How will you provide privacy? What different uses do you imagine in the living, family and rumpus rooms?
    ...See More
  • macyjean
    3 months ago

I agree about the bath. It is incongruous, not balanced, for the main bathroom to be similar to an ensuite or an apartment bathroom, when the house is otherwise so generous, triple garage, butlers pantry etc.

What climate are you building for? Where is north? This is relevant to making the house perform comfortably for the least ongoing cost, and allowing for the optimal location for the vegetable patch.

Bandula Rodrigo thanked macyjean
  • dreamer
    3 months ago

Both toilets/powder rooms are along way from outside and the pool. I would change powder room to be closer to the laundry room, and delete the toilet in the hallway near the entry, which is not an ideal spot for a toilet anyway, no privacy. You have potential for 8 occupants in the home, with a gym and a study, but only one lounge area, would the gym area be used as a gym or would it be a lounging area, away from main living area? The bathroom has potential for 6 users, but seems very small in proportion for the rest of the home, and has no bath. In comparison to master ensuite, where I assume will only be used by two people.

Bandula Rodrigo thanked dreamer
  • dreamer
    3 months ago

Delete wall in master walk in robes, have one big robe with a single doorway.

Bandula Rodrigo thanked dreamer
  • bargainhunter
    3 months ago

I agree dreamer and I would add a door with it being straight off the bedroom. I would also delete the front toilet in the hall and make that space the linen. Then combine the rear toilet/linen to make a decent sized powder

• jess892222
    3 months ago

Your plan has pros and cons; no bath, but lots of work from home options and big bedrooms. If this aligns with your priorities it's the right design for you.

I do think it could be improved. I also don't like the toilet by the front door and don't think it's necessary to have a second toilet so close to the main powder room. I'd prefer a coat closet or extend the robe in bed 2.

I agree that if a pool is definitely in the plan, a toilet off the back yard is amazing. Maybe by reconfiguring the laundry?

• Bandula Rodrigo
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks everyone. North is where the living areas are located. Front size of the house is East.

• Bandula Rodrigo
    Original Author
    3 months ago

i will work on another plan and post here.

• Splish Splash
    3 months ago

So big!! Not much outdoor space for trees/softscape which make living so pleasant. So many bathroom areas to clean! Need flow passageway through back of house. Back rooms, laundry in particular, are cut off from the living area as well as cut off from northern light, will be very dark in winter. Gym cuts off eastern light to bedrooms and passageway. Looks like you only plan on using a dryer for clothes, not sunlight - no room for clothesline out back and very limited space in laundry for backyard access/entry after pool use/gardening or hanging/ drying space. Gym gets in the way , unless you’re using it for a business? Moving it might solve some issues with flow/sunlight to bedroom areas. Robe is behind door in b/r on left. Why two W/Cs near entry? Big study as well as double IT nook? Kids will game privately when older. I would put a passageway there. No access to IT nook from living area for boss (you) or communication with small kids, who will do homework near you in living area.

• macyjean
    3 months ago

What climate are you building for? Advice relevant to Victoria isn't necessarily relavent to Queenland, etc.

Northern orientation is good, but depends on how close to boundary and any overshadowing by neighbours. The middle of the house contains features under discussion, and the southern side appears well out form the boundary, so there is potential to rework that to improve northern benefits.

Think about moving the gym window to the other wall or have something to provide external shade in summer if you keep it on the west. Regarding the secondary bedrooms, southern windows in particular are prone to condensation in winter, but presumably you'll be having double glazing?

• dreamer
    3 months ago

I’ve done a very, not to scale, sketch. Living areas on north side good. Study on the east, good. Gym on the west side good, will make you sweat more. If this is not used as a gym, it can evolve into a second living room. I have deleted entry toilet, put a bigger BIR into front bedroom. Have elongated the next bedroom, made BIR bigger, and bathroom bigger with two basins. Deleted linen and toilet in hall, and changed to storage and powder room near laundry. Have deleted cabinet in kitchen and made a walkway for ease of access to laundry and powder room. Just my thoughts, but, always, it is your home, and you know how you live, we do not.

• me me
    3 months ago

I like Dreamers plan, adresses some of the issues with previous plan.

• oklouise
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

unable to read your dimensions but, based on the size of the block and your floor plan my suggestions include bigger setback at the front of the garage and simpler building shape allows for a much simpler roof, keeping the master on the northern side makes better use of space for study and bedroom windows and more space in the ens for double sink and easy access towel racks, equal sized bedrooms and gym with biw, bigger study nook with skylight, compartmented bathroom is more comfortable for sharing, under cover external access for the laundry and powder room with an outdoor shower, more storage, scullery with servery window, bigger kitchen with more counter, bigger island and room for double fridge freezer and easy access from kitchen to bedrooms and laundry and if you use the boundary fence for the pool you could have it closer to the corner with better views from inside to the pool

• Lorraine Cobcroft
    3 months ago

I like the second variation by oklouise with master bedroom at front. I think that plan works really well. Toilet conveniently located for access from living areas and the pool. Nice 3-way bathroom with bath and good privacy, great master suite layout.

• robynvons
    3 months ago

Looks nice. Could you sneak a bit more room from the master bedroom to make a more functional walk-in-robe? You could access it via a sliding door from the front door end so that both long sides could be better used.

• robynvons
    3 months ago

I prefer okloise's second variation for the master bedroom but I think there is more functionality in accessing the WIR from the side opposite the study. You won't need a door. This gives you more room to play with the ensuite and perhaps be able to have a walk-in doorless shower. I love this sort of shower for comfort and cleaning.

• Bandula Rodrigo
    Original Author
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I tried to resign based on your comments. Thanks for all your comments and help.

Still i am not comfortable with size of the scullery, i am hoping kitchen should be at least 4M.

Variation 2

Please help me choose which one is better. I still take your comment that this house is way too big. Is there any way to reduce overall size. May be Gym is too big.

This souse is built in Kardinia suburb

• macyjean
    3 months ago

So where are you building?

You need to do the work to arrive at a design that is better for you. Maybe the gym is too big or the kitchen shoud be 4m tells us nothing about how you want to use those spaces.

• Kate
    3 months ago

The to toilets need proper basins. I’d go a semi recessed basin vanity in both. Steel som space from bedroom to make the small per one work. The other toilet seems to have enough space. But I can’t measure.
    I am still really concerned you have no bath in a large family home.

Bandula Rodrigo thanked Kate
  • oklouise
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

there are too many odd hallways and too much wasted space..eg the new activity space has no where to place a desk or seating so what will you use that space for? ...you need to decide what is most important...why does the scullery need to be bigger than the kitchen, what is the purpose of the extra powder room...if the central hallway was accessible from both ends of the house there would be easier access from front to back and much less wasted space and the odd outside shape of the building makes the roof much more complicated and expensive..my earlier suggestion had a bigger kitchen and smaller gym but if you specify what you want changed i can attempt some specific variations that are less complicated BUT increasing the size of the scullery and master suite adds about 18 sqm but at least the roof is a simpler shape and i don't understand why you would place the garage on the boundary when you have such a great wide block...some more ideas for you

Bandula Rodrigo thanked oklouise
  • Lorraine Cobcroft
    3 months ago

The second option has a toilet blocking the hallway?? If that was removed people could easily access the toilet opposite the laundry. And the activity room is a passageway - just a maze of doors and openings so virtually no use at all.

And no bath tub in a house that large? Maybe nobody in your family uses a bath but I think when it comes time to sell you'll find that a huge negative for buyers.

I do like a big scullery and a smaller kitchen, but I take OKL's point that it's unusual and, again, it might be a negative when reselling even if you prefer it that way.

OKL's design is excellent. Your third toilet is easily accessible from outside, which is a big bonus. The bathroom offers privacy for multiple users at once but everything is together, which is much better than having the toilet a long way from the shower. And she has put a bath in. There is a nice study nook close to the kitchen for easy supervision of children doing homework. And the kitchen is family-friendly. Plenty of storage space and the scullery opening to the alfresco will make entertaining easy. No wasted space. I think it's a great design.

Bandula Rodrigo thanked Lorraine Cobcroft
  • dreamer
    3 months ago

Bandula, you have made a comment that your drawings are showing a home that is too big. I would say that the second plan is not good. (The black design with red dimensions) the minor bedrooms are too big, 3500mm x 4000mm are plenty big enough. And with such big rooms on the left hand side of plan, the main living area is compromised at 4800mm wide. This is not wide enough for the only living area which is also a thoroughfare to kitchen and outside. It should be at least 5200mm wide.

You have said you want a 4 metre kitchen, well I would say you have that available, but you have chosen to make part an open room and part a scullery

The activity room is just a hallway servicing other rooms. The powder room 2 is blocking a hallway for getting to bedrooms and bathroom from the garage. Any occupants of those rooms have to walk completely around through the kitchen, lounge, dining just to get to their rooms.

The plan designed by Oklouise seems a plan that flows through the home for all occupants. Rooms are good sizes.

• dreamer
    3 months ago

Bandula, I assume the plan just posted with black and light blue, is a professional plan. Out of the two plans just posted, that is a better plan, flows better and the living room is a okay width, bedrooms better sizes. However oklouise plan is better than those two plans.

• dreamer
    3 months ago

Also, I notice that you are building in the city of Melville, I’m also in Perth. The area you are building is a wonderful area. I have also noticed that you have had 28 course ceilings drawn up by the professional. If budget can stretch I would look at brick construction at 30 courses through out the home. If the bedrooms are say, 3500mm x 4000mm with 30 course or 31 course ceilings, they will feel bigger anyway.

I have 31 courses throughout my home, and it is wonderful, with 2400mm high doors and windows.

For those in the east, who normally do not build in double brick construction. 28 courses is a standard 2400mm ceiling, 30 courses is approx 2570mm and 31 courses is 2650mm.

Bandula Rodrigo thanked dreamer
  • Bandula Rodrigo
    Original Author
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Hi Oklouise

One of the key things for us is Gym (not too big or not too small), Scullery, and master suite.

I prefer to have bigger scullery (3.2x2.7 or around some of that size) with ability to open to the alfresco. I agree, activity/study is waste.

Agree with you re garage comment too.

One thing i dont want is bath. I know some like bath for resale reason but i prefer not to have.

I am aim to have less complicated shower for both bath room with single glass panel and recess to keep shampoo etc

I also like your suggestion to have powder room accessible from Alfresco . i am planning to have pool too so its handy.

Thanks your feed back and help on this.

• Bandula Rodrigo
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks Dreamer, thanks for your feedback. i definitely like your comments

1. 31 courses throughout the home

2. Width of the living/Kitchen is 5200mm wide.

• Bandula Rodrigo
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks Lorraine. Thanks for your feedback. Only thing i don't want is bath.

My main reason for building this house was to have nice master suite with nice WIR, Gym, Scullery and Study.

Rest of the things aren't critical.

• dreamer
    3 months ago

Bandula, the width showing on your plan, the black and red one, living and dining is only 4800mm. The professional drawing is 5200mm.
    Looking at your main priorities, then why have 4 bedrooms and a gym, and a study. You could reduce the home floor plan by one bedroom. The next person may not want a room as a gym, and can be used as a bedroom. This will give more space on the block, and a better budget. Or more to the point, if you do not need something, then don’t spend money on it......

Bandula Rodrigo thanked dreamer