doormatty

Help with choosing curtain colour

MattyD
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have a new build and need some help with colouring the open plan living area. The floors are laminate timber (Natural Oak Brown), bench top is Caeserstone Shitake. Walls are currently white but I will revisit them later (probably with a light grey?). I don't have any furniture just yet but the couch will likely be a dark grey.

The part I need help with right now is the curtain colour. As you can see in the pictures, I have sliding doors across the whole back of the room. I am wanting to add floor to ceiling sheer curtains to cover the whole back walls/doors. My initial thinking is just to go with black but I honestly have no idea when it comes to interior design!

Appreciate any help :)

Shitake stone bench

Natural oak laminate flooring

Whole back wall/doors

With (dirty) flooring and bench top

Comments (33)

• bigreader
    2 years ago

I vote for white sheets. Plenty of pics on Pintrest and here on Houzz if you search. Leave the walls white, grey won’t work as well with your kitchen.

• MattyD
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the help! I am worried that white curtains would just white-wash an already very white area

• Related Discussions

Choosing bedroom colours - help me, please!

Q

Comments (10)
    Now for Mr 16 months... I really can't decide. His room is going to be on the cold side of the house, with not so much sun so I want it to get that cozy sort of feeling when you come into it. I was thinking yellow or orange curtains? But then I don't know what colour to do the walls. These are some fabrics I like:
    ...See More

help with curtain colours

Q

Comments (6)
    I would avoid using dark colors in a room with wood paneling as it would make your space gloomy. You also don't need to match the dining room set. I would go with a very light and fresh cream with very light brown stripes. You could also choose something like this (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/57/8f/6a/578f6abfb4e7b991e594b64cf4f2c174.jpg) to add the blue to the mix and have more colors.
    ...See More

Curtain colour help please

Q

Comments (2)
    Personally I think the curtain colour is fine, but your header tape needs attention and for me I'd have them taken up so they hang to the floor rather than on the floor. If your hubby is handy maybe get him to make u a box over the curtain header & stain/paint it to match your furniture. Or put up a pole in matching wood.
    ...See More

Help choosing roof colour!

Q

Comments (0)
    We currently have clay tiles in a teracotta colour which are original from 1940s. We are replacing our roof with a metal tile roof and can't decide on a colour. We are looking at either a teracotta colour or ebony/dark grey. We are in a bushy area in New Zealand. We are looking at leaving the window trims and the gable white but would look at painting the pop up which is currently a dark red stain to match the new roof. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.
    ...See More
  • robandlyn
    2 years ago

Sheers the same colour as wall is always classy. I definitely wouldn't go black. And agree with bigreader to leave walls white.

• bigreader
    2 years ago

It’s not that white. And it will look different furnished and with people in it.

• MattyD
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You're probably right. At the moment I have to wear sunglasses to walk through the house it is that bright. Any thoughts on a feature wall colour?

• bigreader
    2 years ago

Feature walls are a bit dated. Use art instead.

• Kate
    2 years ago

White wall colour. Anything else will close it in.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

You are looking at a home with no furniture. Black curtains will make room feel dark. You already have dark cabinets a dark splash back and dark window frames. But if you like that dark industrial look, and will add dark furniture, then that is what you like, so have dark curtains.
    I have Caesarstone Shitake, with white sheer curtains. White kitchen. I have a griege light tile and light furniture. My windows frames are also silver. It is not too white and washy, in my opinion. I like to feel light and happy, not dark and emotional.

MattyD thanked dreamer
  • dreamer
    2 years ago

Have you considered a beautiful linen sheer LATTE colour curtain. It would pick up the colours in the kitchen tiles and shitake. As an alternative to black or white.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

Examples

MattyD thanked dreamer
  • Davincicalbourne
    2 years ago

Congratulations on your new home. Your floor and bench colour are warm tones rather than cool, so I would go with a light sheer that has a touch of warmth in it. For example, a natural linen would look good. It is harder to mix warm & cool tones together.

MattyD thanked Davincicalbourne
  • MattyD
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You have all explained very well. Thank you all so much for your insight. I knew I was asking in the right forum :)

Art over feature walls is a great idea. See, I wasn't kidding when I said I had no idea about this stuff!

Is there anywhere that any of you would recommend I could draw some inspiration from?

• bigreader
    2 years ago

Are you after inspiration for art or for furnishing the room? We’re always happy to help but you need to give us an idea of what look you’re after and what you like.

• MattyD
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You're right, my question was vague. Sorry! More about colours. Art I can find (I think!)

• MattyD
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I honestly couldn't look at 4 colours and tell you if they go with eachother or not haha

• bigreader
    2 years ago

So a very basic colour lesson. You can Google it also. Colours are warm or cool. You’ve chosen warm colours and what you have looks good. Grey is mostly a cool colour and not really right for your room. In a modern room aiming for 3 main colours in a proportion of 60:30:10 is a good guide. So in your room you have roughly 60% white (after white sheers), 30% tawny (bench and floor), and 10% dark (cabinetry and window frames). You could switch the 60 and 30 by using a beige linen for the sheers if you want. Now you don’t want to be boring so you can throw in your favourite colour in cushions and art. What furniture do you have, and what do you need?

• bigreader
    2 years ago

These rooms have similar tones to yours. It’s a bit dark for me but is this the style you’re after.

• MattyD
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow! I ask for inspiration and get a lesson on interior design Thank you so much! :)

I actually really like the styles above. The house is in a suburb that is going to be up to > 40°c in summer. A cooler look could work in that respect.

I love the 60:30:10 ratio; I hadn't heard of that before. I have a dark grey corner couch that I don't like but it's literally the only piece of furniture I have to move into this space.

I'm currently regretting my decision for not getting taller sliding doors to go with the ceiling height...

• bigreader
    2 years ago

If you have a look at the examples you’ll see that they all have the curtain rail hung as high as possible on the wall, up under the cornice. If you do the same at least when the sheers are closed you won’t notice the shorter sliding doors. And after you’ve been in for a while you’ll just enjoy your new house and won’t notice things like the door height. If you post a pic of your couch you’ll get some great ideas on how to incorporate it and work towards the styles above.

• MattyD
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Ok, so at This point I feel like I at least owe you a beer!

Photo below. Like I said, I'm in no way attached to this couch!

• Kate
    2 years ago

Ok dark kitchen dark couch. Great base. Everything else should be light and bright. So start with the white sheers. Pick some art or rug, with minimal dark, then accessories,

• bigreader
    2 years ago

I do like a beer. That couch will work fine, it’s a good base. Don’t rush any other purchases. Do you have anything in mind for the table and chairs, and the TV cabinet/coffee table?

• MattyD
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Awesome 👍

Nothing in mind for those just yet. Still have a few weeks before completion of the build so I have some time to work those out.

@Kate thanks for the rug tip, that question was on my list

• me me
    2 years ago

Your local library would have a good selection of books on interior decoration andcolours. The librarian should be able to advise on the most suitable books for your needs.

• bigreader
    2 years ago

Ok. Come back and ask questions when you’re ready. Allow for furniture to take at least 6-8 weeks for delivery.

MattyD thanked bigreader
  • MattyD
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I see what you lot have been saying about the black curtains. I really like them in the photo in the post above but can see that, when closed without the green of the garden in the background, that big black wall would really close in the space.

I'm looking forward to going art work and shopping!

• MattyD
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also, my TV will be wall mounted in an alcove. I have a 75in going on the wall in the image below. Not sure whether to put anything underneath it yet.

I might have to invite you all over for a bbq when I get the keys and you can give me pointers in realtime haha!

I'll be heading to the house for practical completion tomorrow. If you guys want any better images in order to help me out, let me know :)

• bigreader
    2 years ago

Very exciting time for you. Some more pics on where the TV will go, plus the dining area and living area. And if you need furniture layout suggestions then post the floor plan. Are you handy at all (for built in TV cabinet suggestions)? Ignore the accessories in this pic but the TV cabinet may suit. It’s ikea bests units topped with ikea benchtops. Quite a cost effective way to do it.

• MattyD
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am a lot better with my hands than I am with my eyes haha. I could definitely manage a tv cabinet.

Will post photos tomorrow but here are the floor plans.

• MattyD
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok, here are a few more photos of the space. Things are getting exciting now!

• bigreader
    2 years ago

Looking good. I’d be excited too. For rug purposes - do you need to accomodate pets or kids? And what size dining table do you need? Which living areas will have TVs (and it’s fine to say all of them)? What rooms do you want to spend money on first?

• MattyD
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Rug will have to accommodate a 3 year old, no pets.

I'll probably go with a 6 seater table. I may have one donated to me. I'll attach an image below.

Only the alcove in the second picture above will have a TV. I don't plan on having any more in the house just yet.

I'm thinking the open plan living/dining/kitchen area first off. Getting the curtains in there for privacy will be pretty important. I have the master bedroom sorted.