raineyann

Dining room dilemma

Hello Houzz friends

I am hoping someone can help me decide how to arrange my dining room.

There will be a small round table for two at the Entry end at which we will eat most meals. There is also a table for 4 outside that area for outdoor meals when the weather is good.

When we entertain, we always eat in the outdoor living area, where there is a large 8-seater table, and with the bifold doors open, I can move move other tables or set up a folding table near the door if needed.

I had planned to put a large wall unit (2.4 long x .4 deep x 1.9m high) along the wall on the left (Option 1). As the dining room is only 3.3m wide from the island to the wall, that would leave me with only 2.9m of space for a rectangular table and chairs.

My other option is to put the wall unit along the entry wall (option 2). The opening is 1600mm so I think it would fit without cluttering the passageway but I'm not sure how it would look.

I considered not having an indoor dining table at all (apart from the little one in the nook, which is really all I need in that room), but I fear the empty space will look odd. What else could I put there if I went with Option 1 and left a space probably too narrow for a dining suite?

Note that the island has a bookcase in the back of it so pushing the table up against it or having a suite with a fixed seat against it is not an option. (Yes, I did consider making the room narrower, but I was thinking of resale. At 3.3m clear of furniture it would hold a rectangular suite comfortably, and a suite with a fixed bench against the wall would be an option).

Thank you for any suggestions.

Comments (5)