webuser_872423865

Transformation of a Dark & Dingy 1960s Apartment

Our clients came to us wanting to renovate their small 1962 apartment which had all the features typical of the era such as a red brick exterior and a very closed-in floor plan.

The brief was to modernise whilst keeping to the classic nature of the building itself. Opening up the kitchen, hallway, and doorways to create a super light space with exceptional storage for a small (65sqm) apartment.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Walls were removed and doorways made wider and taller, adding barn doors to maximise space and create great natural light flow throughout the apartment. Herringbone timber floors were laid throughout the living areas creating warmth. The look was clean and fresh with timber flooring, white walls, substantial cabinetry, and gorgeous marble bench tops. Terrazzo tiles, a large stacking slider, and a glass balustrade were also added to the balcony further opening the apartment up to the North East light and beautiful harbour views.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Comments (4)

• K s
    2 years ago

Does look much better but to get a true respective it would need to show before and after pictures from same angle, the one looking out to balcony in before pic shows your looking straight at buildings where as after shot has been taken showing more sky view.
    All camera trickery, but still much better.

hatch interiors and design thanked K s
  • Asif Ali
    2 years ago

Great work all around! I love how you turned the fairy floss inspired bathroom to a nice clean white space.

hatch interiors and design thanked Asif Ali
  • User
    2 years ago

We are all different -- I definitely wouldn't rave about the bathroom 'before' , but the after is so so so generic it could be a laboratory somewhere -- exactly zero personality .

I imagine that fair end bathroom wall as a feature , in a burnt orange or burgundy red , or even in those same blue tiles , with random pink and grey ones , as a nod to the past .

And why have black soap pumps , but stainless tapware ? I'm sure 95% of Houzzers could have done way better .

The rest is more open , its had $$$ spent , but every single area lacks something IMO . The lounge is the only area that I commend , apart from having a mirror directly opposite what I assume is the TV ( I did originally wonder if it was an art piece , but at that height in that position , that wouldn't make much sense either ) .

• PRO
    Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd
    2 years ago

Gorgeous reno, well done