webuser_42531927

Help settle a family debate

Andy Foster
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Here's a layout of the front of family house.

5 steps up to the foyer, then an additional 2 steps up to the main house.

Foyer has a steeply sloped roof. The wall facing bottom of pic is probably only 1.5m high and has windows. The upper wall is much higher.

Some in the family would like to put a water closet (as in, just toilet and basin) in the red marked box (obviously walled off - haven't decided on sliding or regular door). I am pretty uncomfortable with this idea. I think having a front door that opens to a toilet is not great. Nor is a toilet that opens into what is effectively our foyer/mudroom/closet either. It's not a massive room (4x2.5m, sunk two steps against main house, made more cramped by a lower roof on one end) and could be an unplesant experience for anybody on the can when other guests are entering/exiting and lingering in the room which they tend to do. (Personally I wouldn't care, but I am very receptive to the fact that others would!)

I appreciate that it is a matter of weighing up pros vs cons but at this point I cannot even extract a concession from said family member that there are cons to this - they see it as all pros (other than losing a bit of foyer space). They don't think this is weird or inappropriate in any way that when you open the front door the first thing you see - in fact the ONLY thing you see - is the toilet!

Just wondering if the internet can weigh in to help me convince said family member that it is an issue, and we need to seriously think about whether the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. Or, I guess I'd like to think I'm open to being corrected too. (originally tried to write this in an unbiased manner but failed, so if nothing else thanks for reading my vent?)

It is fine, get over yourself you priss
It is a little odd but wouldn't think thrice about it
This is a crime against decency and potentially humanity; someone call the Hague
Why not just convert the whole foyer into a walk through toilet

Comments (17)