katrina_calvi

DIY update a blue laminate kitchen?

Kat 1809
last year

We can’t afford to renovate and it’s well cared for, but perhaps we can refresh it? We read we can prime and repaint the laminate but there’s a risk we will do more harm than good with our inexperience. We can’t change the tiles either - too costly! If you have any thoughts, we’d love to hear them!

Comments (14)

• bigreader
    last year

I like the blue cabinetry. I’d keep it. Watch some YouTube videos on painting the splashback and if you’re confident give it a go. The bench top is one of the drawbacks. If budget permits have a look at replacements, both ikea and Bunnings have wooden ones at good prices. The range hood is drawing the eye in a bad way. They can be had cheaply or give it a good clean and respray with appliance white (Bunnings have it). And new handles would give an update, again Bunnings and ikea have budget options as does online.

• Kat 1809
    Original Author
    last year

Great tips!! Yes range hood is very old. Hadn’t even thought about the splash back….what colour or update were you thinking? There’s such a delay on bigger items like cupboards and bench tops that we may not get to that for a while but we can look into it.

• C P
    last year

Look at this kitchen makeover for ideas

https://www.threebirdsrenovations.com/kitchenmakeover

• Jan Dobson
    last year

Hi Kat, I agree with bigreader, a few tweaks could make a big difference. I don’t think the colour is bad, just the saturation level a little too high. Perhaps changing the door, window frame, and trim to a white and adding white shutters? New, more prominent hardware and changing out the rangehood, definitely. Have the tiles professionally cleaned if they / the grout are looking a bit tired and purchase a neutral floor mat that is suitable for wet areas. A timber benchtop would look great, but if budget is tight (and when do we ever have an unlimited budget 😉), a few decor items in silver, grey or white - I think cool colours would work best - would diffuse the all blue look, and maybe switch out the bar stools in one of those colours or timber as it would also help.

• Kate
    last year

Have a look at do it your self bench paint https://www.gianigranitepaint.com.au/product/1938584

• Julie Herbert
    last year

Have a lovely ok at the renovations range of paints by Dulux, it’s fabulous, my friend used it in her bathroom and it covers tiles, benches and they even have one for floors, it’s a great diy makeover.

• Julie Herbert
    last year

Oops that should read have a look.. auto correct is a nuisance at times

• Kate
    last year

How about start by painting the window trim and door and it’s trim white. That will help lift kitchen. It’s hard to tell from photo how good the surfaces are

• Julie Herbert
    last year

Agree just by painting window trim and door white this will immediately change the look, it’s a pretty kitchen, just a few changes like updating cupboard handles( buy on EBay in a bulk lot) a white roller blind, (spotlight) stainless steel bar stools (eBay as well) and a tray (stainless ) with a few gorgeous items then you have a new look for a fraction of cost

• Kat 1809
    Original Author
    last year

@Jan Hobsen and Julie Herbert and bigreader thanks for all those - and the pictures! I can really visualise it now.

A few mentioned the Dulux renovation paint - my inner voice says “are you suuure you won’t stuff it up” hahah. Maybe I’ll wait until a new bench top is an option so I reduce my risk if I do ruin the job. I think I’ve got plenty to experiment with now. My anxiety has subdued.. I’m actually excited!

Love Houzz. Thanks everyone!

• gaye50
    last year

Granite transformations goes over the top of existing bench tops-6mm thick overlay, so cheaper & less construction needed. They have a great range of styles & colours. I’ve used them a lot & I even lined my shower walls with it. That way no grout cleaning & can cut holes for plumbing on site. Depends on budget constraints-get a quote.

• Elaine Sharkey
    last year

We got our stone benchtop from Paradise Kitchens if you are in Sydney, they had some on site and we used their installer. It was such a bargain.