danae_fleetwood67

Painting, floorboards, carpet order and timeframe?

DF
last year

Hi all!

This is my first post after my husband and I purchased a new home over the weekend - woo hoo! It is a deceased estate in need of some dire renos before we move in. We have just over 2 weeks crossover between our current rental and settlement to get work done before we move our furniture and 3 young kids in. However, not sure on how realistic our timelines are.

We are wanting -

• Wallpaper removed (this is not in all rooms, only the hallway and living room which is a huge 4x9)
  • 3 x bedrooms, hallway, living room painted (walls, ceiling, skirting boards, but all the same colour - Natural White)
  • Carpets laid in the 3 bedrooms
  • Floorboards in hallway and living room polished (they have been covered since new but there is a place where the carpet has been pulled up and they are a nice pine).

What we are not sure of -

• Is all of that feasible in 2 weeks?
  • What is best (given timeframes) - paint then floors or vice versa? Or paint, floors, touch up of paint perhaps even after we have moved in??

I know floors take some time to cure before we can move furniture in and freshly painted walls may be prone to collecting dust from the floors so time-wise we may be strugglings. If so, is there any way we could make it all work that you know of?

Comments (11)

• Kate
    last year

Congrats , floor polish needs about a week for fumes to dissipate fully before u move kids in. And a couple of coats. So program that for say thur to sun in middle when no one else is in. Rest is just labour time. Get all the wall paper off before floors get done and as much sanding as possible then clean thoroughly before floors done. Come back , cover up the hard wood and finish off painting and carpet should get done on last day

DF thanked Kate
  • DF
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you both! Yes, we are using contractors, but will do labour/DIY where we can to save $$ (iie pulling off wallpaper and other prep). My brother is a builder so will be organising the trades as they are mates of his, but I know I will need to get him onto it rather than wait for him to so he can get everyone booked in :D he will also be able to help with some of the prep work.

So if we get the keys on the Fri would the below work -

Fri-Sun/Mon wallpaper off, carpet off, prep

Mon-Thurs floors sanded polished

Thurs-Fri bedrooms (where there is carpet not floorboards painted

Mon-Wed hallway and living room painted

Thur-Fri carpets in bedrooms

Fri/Sat move in :D

• bigreader
    last year

Good luck but that time table will not happen. Can you talk to your brother for guidance? You’re lucky to have a tradie for advice. Make use of it.

• DF
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks! Yes I have spoken to him and will some more. He has been a bit blase so far and wasn't sure the best order (the trade off of having family help is they are less motivated as they are for usual clients!). Which part of the time frame are you thinking will be least likely to fit?

We are happy to have some work done once moved in but it just seemed easier trying to get it all sorted before we move everything in. (We do have another living space, sunroof and kitchen, as well as a garage, we can store some furniture for a few days if need be).

• bigreader
    last year

I’d consider it a win if you had the floors sanded and finished before you move in. Your timeline has no allowance for tradies not turning up, rubbish removal, trips for forgotten materials, cleaning between stages, etc . When you’re one small job you need to work around trades, they won’t fit in with you.

DF thanked bigreader
  • dreamer
    last year

And if the floorboard areas that need sanding and polishing are in the walkways to the other rooms. How will you access those rooms to get your jobs done. Just to clarify are you sanding and staining floors, or just polishing. Floors need to be clean and no dust or foot prints at all. Google “floorboard ghosting” which are real issues if your rush the sanding and staining and polishing of floors.

https://www.brisbanesfinestfloors.com.au/news/ghosting-on-timber-floors-expert-explains/amp

• DF
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks guys! I have spoken to my brother, we will have everything cleaned up and ready for the floors to be done by the Monday, but he has recommended I add a week if we can to not rush it all. Will see how we go with getting our rental extended a week to help - that gives us a full week for floors and then a full week for painting :)

• C P
    last year

If you haven't picked a paint colour yet can I suggest Snowy Mountains Half or Quarter. Very accommodating for both sunnier and gloomier aspects. 

We bought a house many years ago and got it painted before we moved in and I hated how yellow the white appeared.

• DF
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! We were thinking Natural white to keep it simple but I will check it out. I think we should have the chance to do a couple of swabs before we have to lock it in once we have the keys. We have a wood feature wall and I am undecided whether to paint it or keep some of that 70s style there, so will want something that is warmer I think so it does clash.

• gaye50
    last year

It’s easier to have walls cleaned & sanded, floors-Carpet & floor boards-done before moving in. Even the ceilings painted really helps. It’s easy to move furniture to the centre of the rooms to paint the walls, if you have to move in. Doors can be removed & painted out side. I love Volcanic Ash in Porters Paint with white ceiling & trims-just an idea. GOOD LUCK!