emmaanscombe

How to manage rust on footlocker

emmaanscombe
10 years ago
I have a World War 2 footlocker which belonged to my grandfather. I want to use this as a luggage rack for guests to put their suitcases on in our guest bedroom, however the metal covering on the lid is rusted. My grandfathers name and address are still just visible so I am reluctant to remove or paint over it. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the rust without losing the name? Or should I leave the rust and seal it? I don't want my guests getting rust on their luggage!
Thanks
Emma
Wellington, New Zealand

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Built Incorporated
    10 years ago
    I think trying to remove the rust either physically or chemically risks removing the letters as well. Also, sealing the rust will preserve the patina of the piece. But start with light coats of sealer after testing in a less visible area, A thick coat can darken the color quite a bit. This might enhance the lettering or obscure it so better to proceed with caution. Also, you might consider adding a sheet of thick glass to make a top if the sealer doesn't do the trick. It would protect both the luggage and the lettering from each other.
    emmaanscombe thanked Built Incorporated
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    The charm of this piece is its look and history. For your use, and to assuage your concerns, I'd just get a piece of glass for the top. How lucky you are to have this!
  • roosterdavis
    10 years ago
    I agree that if you remove the rust than all printing will come with it. I like the glass idea. It may be a drag if you need to open the footlocker, but if you just want it as a stand, then I think it'll work nicely.
  • emmaanscombe
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your replies - sounds like leaving the rust is the consensus. The top has two ridges on it which would make glass difficult - I could put it between the ridges only or use some kind of spacer in each of the corners I guess - but I think the sealer might be the best solution. I do indeed feel lucky to have it.
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    The ridges don't look that high. I would make a template of the top, take a photo of the piece, and consult the place cutting the glass piece. This is less expensive than you would think. You can put clear stick on "bumper" pieces at the corners to keep it from being tippy. Measure the height of the ridges from the surface, and the glass company may have just the thing for the four corners. (I used to have a coffee table with this issue! Clear bumper dots saved the day.)