mallory5nz

Painted or stained wood trim?

mallory5nz
10 years ago
We've recently bought a 1960s era ranch style home. It has all wood floors, many of the original wood windows, and interior feature doors with bubbled glass. However as my sister put it, many updates to the house have been done by a "weekend warrior". New white aluminum doors that open completely up to the outside were installed in the lounge and dining room as well as a full wall of windows in the kitchen. The dining room also has some original wood windows that are in rough-looking stained shape. Throughout the house, some baseboard moldings are stained, others have been painted the wall color. In one room, one side of the room has painted baseboard moldings and if you look across, the other side has them stained! In some cases, lovely wood feature doors with bubbled glass are left stained on one side and painted on the other. I don't know how to balance this painted/unpainted use of wood as well as the white aluminum new windows in the same room with old stained wood windows. Do I paint all the old stained windows white to match the few "open all the way up" windows/door walls? Do I paint all the baseboards or do I strip the ones that ARE painted? Same with the doors. Thoughts? (Please note, the furniture in the photos is not ours. These were photos from the listing/previous owner.)

Comments (5)