chookchook2

Resilient Buildings for Global Warming

chookchook2
10 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Are you planning a new building or renovation that takes Global Warming into account? If you are coastal, it may be flood mitigation. If you are inland, it might be heat mitigation. Maybe you are preparing for increased storms, or increased fuel bills, or food shortages, or population pressures. Please keep answers to property design. eg

Comments (155)

• chookchook2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Why was Moly holy?
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Don't work on drop bears.
  • sunnie2day
    10 years ago
    Lol, Chook, I was taught to say holy moly instead of, well, you know:) Growing up on a cattle ranch a child learns all kinds of interesting words!

My storm shutters were Rolledens, they were mounted like an exterior window shade to the outside frame of the windows and sliding doors and you could hit a panic button that brought down all of the shutters if you splashed out for the really pricy ones:

http://www.rolladenlv.com/gallery.php

Ours were a bit more budget and came out of the factory in southern FL, the 2nd big feature for us was that our set had a manual override so you could close/open in the event of a power failure. 1st big feature was that the shutters could withstand airborne missiles flung about by very high winds thus saving the cost of replacing expensive double glazing. (Of course all bets were off if the storm took the roof off, lol!) We got quite a nice discount on our homeowners for having those.

Back in 'the olden days' people made do with a set of interior-exterior heavy plank wooden shutters, those also worked wonderfully to protect window glass and the people inside.

All those X taped windows you see when people are preparing for a storm? Doesn't do a dang thing except give a slim hope that when something shatters the glass the shards won't be big enough/small enough to inflict a fatal wound to a living being. Storm shutters work, doesn't matter if you can afford nothing more than marine grade plywood - shutters work!
    chookchook2 thanked sunnie2day
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    @chookchook Here is a cabinet that I asked for legs but for some reason they just floated it. It was more work for them. I like something high enough to clean under.
    chookchook2 thanked J Petempich
  • sunnie2day
    10 years ago
    Off-topic, JPetempich, that's GORGEOUS!!! Everything, the entire room!
    chookchook2 thanked sunnie2day
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, lovely.
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    Thanks you, it means a lot to me, I need confidence in many of the things I do.
    chookchook2 thanked J Petempich
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great work so far, any insights on Asian solutions?
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hello folks!
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Does anyone else prepare for natural disasters or problems, maybe increased costs of cooling or heating?
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    nope ! just go with the flow with a big fat smile on my face and hope for the best !!!
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    OnePlan,paying insurance is good.
  • stryker
    9 years ago
    Hi chook! My new house (if it gets started--#@&#%*& bank--we were supposed to break ground weeks ago) is going to have geothermal, solar panels, southern exposure, and broad overhangs, and will be partly built into the hillside. Or my lot might remain a very expensive picnic site.
  • PRO
    VizX Design Studios, LLC
    9 years ago
    I think this Rain Xchange System should be in every home in the world. Water harvesting is the way to go. You can reuse the water for washing cars, flushing toilettes and watering plants. If they are installed during the build process it would be a lot cheaper have done.
    http://www.rainxchange.com
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Jean, maybe an ethical investment firm would be interested in loaning you the money? I know they do small startup companies, could you run a business from home?
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Vizx Design, they say water will be extremely short in the future, although it is difficult to imagine during La Niña. Certainly during our last drought , that lasted 10 years in Southern Australia, and led to the worst bushfires ever, local authorities started encouraging household water collection. Thanks for your idea.
  • stryker
    9 years ago
    Thanks, chookchook. I sure do like the sound of an ETHICAL investment firm. The bank is charging us interest already on part of the loan, while making us jump through unnecessary hoops for the rest. I can't declare my house as any kind of business center. Couldn't hang a shingle on it, at least. The bank'll come through. They better!
  • PRO
    Scott Shipton
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Samantha...just read your post, wanting to keep this discussion alive? For you (and others), there are foundation vents that are made to flip up and allow water to "flow thru the crawl space ". Second, for all here that are in flood zone areas and are paying for the high cost flood insurance: be prepared to pay lots of out of pocket $$$ to restore your home after a flood. I have a friend that had a home that was reclassified as a flood zone, started paying flood insurance ( was forced, no choice by his mortgage company) and then was hit by a flood...they deprecated everything that was messed up by the flood: furnace, water heater, main power 200 amp panel, and his garage door by over 75%! Look when you buy, ask where the flood zone lies...if close, you can be assured that if there is an event, that line will change AND you will be paying, even if it is an event like a bridge downstream that was blocked by boats that got loose from their docks!
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sounds like a case for a lawyer!
  • PRO
    Scott Shipton
    9 years ago
    Paragraph R, they were saying that the acv was paid in full, but it was older and the value was the value. Adjustment standards are below:

http://www.femainfo.us/Links/FEMA%20National%20Flood%20Insurance%20Program%20-%20Authorization%20Requirements.htm
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    While living in Sydney years ago we had one of the storms they get in Summer. Baseball size hail stones came down , wrecking hundreds of roofs and cars. My car is an old Volvo so it got off well. Damage to house. Waited months for the insurance, and they said that all the damage on the ext walls caused by the guttering disintegrating was not theirs to pay. Rotten wood, ruined paint etc was our landlords problem, even though their speedier help would have prevented it.
    As for the guttering, it was asbestos and as I had young children playing in the yard every day, I had to get out the next morning and pick up every piece off the ground, there was none left on the roof. The landlord had gone to hospital with a heart attack so it was down to me. The things you do...
  • stryker
    9 years ago
    We have big hail like that (well maybe golf ball size) around here too, but I've never learned how animals or people stuck out in the weather could handle it. Can you tell me? It would seem that anything that could wreck a car and a house would wreak havoc on a tender living creature.
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm just glad I was viewing it through a window!
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Flows....

• Joan Thilges
    9 years ago
    We plan to build a new home in the next year. We have spent considerable time studying various heating/cooling methods for our new home. We were ready to go with geo-thermal but the cost is extremely high and it still depends on large amounts of electricity. Our plan is a story and 1/2 and found that the only efficient way to insulate the sloped walls is with foam. The initial cost is high but it appears that spending more for top quality insulation would make any system more efficient. Our house is oriented with windows to the south for solar gain in the winter but shade in the summer. The roofline will be excellent for solar panels if they improve them enough for northern climates. We have over 60 acres of forest so if the energy rates skyrocket, there are supplemental exterior wood burners that connect to your current system but this would be in desperation only.
    We are in Minnesota (northern tier of states, Midwest USA) so climate control is paramount. We are relocating to an area with less blizzards but decided we did not want to be anywhere near sea level since water levels will continue to rise and coastlines will be destroyed. Our weather will be more severe as we have seen the last decade. Biggest, strongest, most severe are weather words heard constantly.
    We are avoiding carpeting, laminate and any other surfaces that are not permanent. Our resources may be dwindling rapidly so longterm is very important for purchases. Earthquakes are becoming more frequent and stronger. This is partly due to fracking used to remove oil and natural gas from the earth but also to a natural build-up in the earth. We are choosing to not build on a steep overlook area of our property due to earthquake and also torrential rain possibilities. I am a realist. Hopefully none of the things will be necessary because of disaster but why not be better prepared?
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It can't hurt!
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Check out solar air heating. I have a thread on it.
  • Joan Thilges
    9 years ago
    Chookchook2, do you have a link?
  • onthecoast1
    9 years ago
    It's El Nino (spelling?) that we worry about where I live -- haven't had a real hurricane threat since Katrina in 2005, but I had to evacuate 3 times that year due to serious hurricanes. And yes, we are building a metal building in the back of our property with a higher wind rating than our previous building (where we used to live) to accommodate for the real weather threats in our area. But as for global warming, the lead meteorologist at the Army Corps of Engineers federal building downtown told me personally that it is all a hoax -- but believe whatever nonsense you like.
  • nala2k4
    9 years ago
    Global climate change would be a natural phenom is it weren't for the report "Owning the Weather 2025" This 84 page report talks about weather being used as a weapon of control against opposition. Be it another country or our own citizens. The US Air Force is the author. You can still find it on the web. Having the ability to cause drought (the Western US) or massive rainfalls (Florida panhandle 24" in 24 hrs.) Mud slides, hail up to your car windows. Preparation is gas, guns, ground and gold. Another important "g" God.
  • nala2k4
    9 years ago
    csat.au.af.mil/2025/volume3/vol3ch15.pdf
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What are you doing to prepare your buildings for natural disasters?
  • nala2k4
    9 years ago
    I guess I would have to say nothing. I have insurance on my home and belongings. But there is not much you can do to survive damages from tornadoes. A safe place underground or in the basement would be the only options. I'm not near the water, so flooding would have to be the 40 day 40 night kind. I suppose if the Yellowstone Caldera blows I then may be living near the water........I'll deal with that later.
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I saw a TV show where they did a streamlined shape on a building on a Scottish island. It was extremely windy, but the side of the house facing the wind was narrower, and the roof was curved.
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi, everyone! Who is incorporating resilient building design?
  • nala2k4
    9 years ago
    chookchook2: Did you check out the link to "Owning the Weather 2025"? You must be happy about todays news that Obama is going to go ahead with out the Legislative Branch and make the US follow the UN Global Warming Agenda.
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ill have to believe you on that, I hadn't heard.
  • chookchook2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So, someone has invented the solar battery for houses.

• chookchook2
    Original Author
    8 years ago
  • Koule' Krayon
    7 years ago
    I think we are planning for current issues. Global warming is current so really we have to place our hands in government policy and the CsRIO using Star rating such as BERS and NatHers/ WELS to produce sustainable buildings. Just as for flooding we use the flood interim reports and council
    Property reports. We use anticipated or predicted outcomes based on previous experience. I don't understand why you would waste money designing for something that didn't apply to your property... Are you talking about designing a home to reduce its carbon footprint?
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

Ah, but do conservative governments policies go far enough?

• Koule' Krayon
    7 years ago
    Well if your over designing and putting in more then what is required you are just becoming a part of the problem. Because the amount of energy that has gone into manufacturing your home and each material in it. Those materials require energy to produce them..... On the other hand yes there is that question what if there is not enough can we trust government policy.
    I think our focus should really be how can we design homes that design for current conditions, have a zero and no carbon footprint and the costs of manufacturing do not offset this goal. So I do place my trust in the science and research from the CSIRO. And policy that has been created as a result of their research yes.
  • Koule' Krayon
    7 years ago
    Or should I go off a blog that recommends I design because earthquakes are likely to increase in the future... By doing so contribute to unnecessarily to global warming. Meanwhile serveral in the pacific islands go underwater.
    "Global warming preppers"
  • Santa Social
    3 years ago

I think that best houses are from wood. I have panel house from wood from https://panelhaus.lv/ . And yeah, I copied webpage and I see that they do not have page created in eglish, but maybe infuture they will have

• Anne Monsour
    3 years ago

Very old post !