spagirl2

Entranceway needs to be more wow

spagirl2
10 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am not sure what to do to make this entranceway look wow any suggestions as to how furnish it , what hang on walls, keep the photo gallery but make them all black and white and reorganise, especially love to know what put on the wall as you enter the house,

Comments (33)

• jagood
    10 years ago
    Can you take a photo of what you look at when you come through the door? I am having a hard time orienting myself in your photos. Is this a split level home? Do you have glass panels on both sides of your door? Is it a contemporary home? It would also help to see a photo of your house from the outside, and the approach to your front door.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    I suggest you paint or stain the hand rail either a dark brown or black and paint all the doors and door frames white. Rearrange the picture gallery using similar frames or paint all of them the same color.... I would also remove the bookshelf from the stairs and move the mirrors & floor vase there. You do not have to hang pictures on every wall or place furniture just to fill up the area, sometimes less looks much better. You might also consider stenciling one or all walls... I will post examples :-)
  • Related Discussions

help with front entrance garden

Q

Comments (7)
    Bronan, Love the black trim around the window and door. I also think you have a nice start with the urns. Would you consider painting those black? You can also add striped hostas in around the base of the little trees. It will make them more prominent and hostas work well in formal spaces. They will be happy to share urn space until the tree gets too big but then you get a bigger urn anyway. I think the added greenery with the white stripes on the leaves will be beautiful with your house colors. Check with the garden nursery near you as some hostas are shade only and others can take some sun. They might suggest something even better... I don't know your budget but I would also suggest brick between the stone squares so guests don't have to leap frog to the porch :-) Good luck. I think you will have a nice space.
    ...See More

Need help with recovering couch

Q

Comments (93)
    Oh, okay, may need to clarify some more. If you get a new 2 seater in place of the 2 white chairs, fine, but no blue chair at all next to the 'new' 2 seater. Won't be right with a blue chair too. So what ones are you planning to recover?. If getting rid of part of it, not understanding. 2 different styles placed next to each other won't look right. I wouldn't like old blue fabrics next to new fabrics or next to 2 different styles of furniture. New 2 seater and old blue chair next to each other, not good :)
    ...See More

Curb appeal indecision... advice please!

Q

Comments (91)
    Sorry I am so late coming to your site - you are an inspiration to all, homeowners and advisers alike. For your planting advice, I suggest you call Merrifield Garden Center to see if they will come out your way. They currently have wonderful garden centers in Merrifield and Fairfax (both in Fairfax County) and a new one in Gainesville, but they may come further south to wherever you reside. (www.MerrifieldGardenCenter.com) Even if they don't send designers to your area, they are worth a trip to see their huge selection for a day of pleasure and inspiration, or to pick up some plants. Most of my clients are in the Fairfax and greater Washington area, but I am currently living out west below Front Royal, VA on the Shenandoah mountainside - wonderful views. cascio.offsite@gmail.com
    ...See More

Dull, dirty drop zone/ entranceway. Help please!

Q

Comments (12)
    You say the kids come in the small door and then bring their stuff to the large door to drop it? I think the "mudroom" needs to be at the small door. Anyone who brings their stuff out of that area has to clean the glass doors next time they need it. As for the guest entry, you need to get something bigger than that desk, and your picture needs to be lowered so the center point of it is 5' above the floor (you'll have to calculate the centimeters.) Consider making the investment to reverse the swing of the door so you can make the best of the larger wall to greet your guests with a console or credenza and some decor.
    ...See More
  • spagirl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the photo with the stairs and the book shellf is the view when you walk in the door, the photos are on wall left as walk in door under the photos is cupbourd we store shoes the last photo is from the top floor looking down on landing it is split level
  • linlac
    10 years ago
    If you are up for painting I would do the foyer in a darker neutral shade than what you presently have. Not dark, just a color that will contrast with your trim. Paint your railing and all trim white. I would move your photos to the wall going up the stairs. All like frames and picture colors. You could reprint them to all black and whites or sepia for a cleaner look. You could tape a shape like a rectangle and figure out how many frames and which pictures to use. I would keep it uniform and neat so as not to have a cluttered look. Remove the small table and plant and all the artwork above. I would leave that corner empty. Remove vase and plant from foyer floor and add an area rug. A single piece of artwork above the cupboard. You could bring in the colors you like with the area rug and artwork that you choose. It looks like you have three interior doors in view when you enter your house. If budget allows change them to a paneled door with a style you like and add new hardware. Your entry door has a contemporary style and hardware. If you are keeping it you may want to change out light fixtures for something more modern. You could incorporate the black of the door with the photo frames, art frame, some black in the rug or artwork. You could also paint the top of the railing black like the photos submitted by Stamps Design.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I like the view looking from the staircase towards the front door with the 3 vertical mirrors. Agreed with a darker console table and painting the handrail to match the door. Also simplify the pictures on the wall would be a good idea.

City: McDougald Residence · More Info
  • spagirl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Cool ideas, I will paint hand rail, can't afford change internal doors , house is 1970 contemporary I love the mixing of old and new and a classic style suits me,, we are going to be getting painted but was going keep this basic tone as it blends thru the house but fancy wallpaper may work on the wall that currently has the mirrors , what size console where put it on landing or tiles? Or should I keep the table There and paint it white, also do I have white or black picture frames, picture as asked earlier is from front door
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    Here are some console tables from Pier One....you might like. If you have a piece that is the right size, you could consider repainting it, if it won't work as is. You will need to measure the area where you want to use, taking into consideration both the width and the depth, so the space isn't crowded.
  • jagood
    10 years ago
    Ditto to what Christina said. Those double cupboard doors are not attractive, and by placing the photos on the wall above, it draws people's eye to an unattractive feature in your entry. I like Christina's solutions. It seems like that little alcove in front of the cupboard doors is just begging for a console table or closed storage piece. And by moving the photos to the stair wall, you end up with a more intimate feeling as you move from a public space to the more intimate spaces upstairs, plus you can enjoy the photos every time you use the stairs. There are lots of example photos of photo arrangements on stair walls and even directions for how to hang the photos online.

I think putting lots of small things in an entry is a mistake, because it is not a place where people linger for any length of time, and it will all jumble together to look like clutter. Keep the accessories few, larger, and complementary to the overall design theme you are trying to achieve in your home.

Try removing everything from your entry, and then adding things back one thing at a time following various suggestions given above, and maybe it will help you decide which you like best. Not only "look" from every angle, but walk about, up and down the stairs, notice if it feels unrestricted and the flow is good. If you like it, leave it in place for a while and note if others comment.

I think once you have the placement of furniture and accessories the way it looks best to you, you will know if you'd also like to paint.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    Perhaps you could find or construct a simple (and shallow) console to fit around the two doors and place a storage cube (or two) in front of them, to hide this not so attractive feature....
  • moonblue
    10 years ago
    Everyone has their own taste, but to me there seems to be too much "stuff".
  • spagirl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am beginning to see the space with fresh eyes, thank you for the ideas, I will try some of your suggestions, I knew the cupboards were not attractive but we are short on storage and use this daily for our shoes, like the idea for console to go over both doors will investigate this, appreciate all thoughts and ideas
  • jagood
    10 years ago
    If you need to keep the cupboard, perhaps when you remove the photos above (which are drawing attention to that area) they will not be as noticeable. This brings up a good point. We don't know how the entry functions for you and your family - i.e. is it the main family entry, what do you need to store there, does clutter tend to accumulate anywhere, do you need a place for wet umbrellas, etc, etc. If you still want help, you could tell us the functions that your entry needs to accommodate and how you are using the storage areas? Is one of the doors we see a coat closet? Is that a door to the garage to the right of the cupboards? We should have asked this at the beginning. Always start with function or a space may end up not working for us even though it "looks" beautiful.
  • sh ca
    10 years ago
    I think the piece at the top of the stairs looks odd- like it is floating in space. I would remove it and the single piece of artwork and either wallpaper the wall or turn it into a gallery wall. Research the proper way to arrange gallery walls beforehand. Put a chunky shelf and a mirror (or your 3 mirrors depending on the shelf you choose) above the cupboard doors. Take down the tulip print and the other 3 white pieces and remove the short table- basically, empty that whole area. If you want to put keys there, add a small shelf or a key rack. Ditch the empty vase and possibly the plant, as well. Less is more in this space.
  • spagirl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is our main entranceway, the doors to the right are to our garage, the banister did extend to here but when we tiled we took down and preferred it not being there as it highlighted this odd space Down to the garage, the cupboard is for vacuumed cleaner and shoes , the only item that clutters this area is shoes! ESP the teenagers, the other doors are laundry at end and kitchen beside that, lounge right as you walk in, we actually do not really use this area other than a thoroughfare, the mirror is a must, and like to have a console or as scampi an has suggested a shelf. Do you all suggest the gallery wall could run from the stairs right across that wall? I thinking just the length of stairs and a little further.?
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    Here is a really nice display of photos...as you can see they are various sizes, they are unified by the frame color; but if you take the time to arrange them in a diagonal line.... you can have a lovely display along the staircase :-)
  • Ellen Fog
    10 years ago
    I think you have a very nice entrance there, but if you really want something "more wow", I'd probably buy a beautiful antique console, a conversation piece, and a wild, colorful modern painting to place over it. Not too big, but big enough to brighten up the old piece of furniture and your entrance.
  • linlac
    10 years ago
    I like the photo wall posted by Stamps Design. I don't really see a diagonal design on such a small space with just a few steps. The diagonals are usually done on a larger set of stairs. You'll have a much cleaner look for a small space to do something like posted above scaled down for your space.
  • spagirl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I found these two console tables today what are your thoughts? And is the best place under where I currently have mirrors or in front cupboards or on landing
  • Cristina Hopper
    10 years ago
    Spagirl, you said it yourself that you need the storage, so a console table, as pretty as they are will not be useful for you. Please look for a piece with closed storage. Also if you put a small bench right at the stair landing in front of that panelling, you can throw a small basket underneath for daily shoes there too. Your teens can be thought to throw their shoes in there too. We do that at our house. Opening the closet door is too much, but the basket under the bench works well and the mess is contained. I suggest moving around your storage, i.e. use that cubby (leading downstairs) for out of season stuff only. Find another spot for your vacuum and by all means put a closed storage piece in front of those doors. That is your biggest wall for something like that. Please measure your space before you make any purchases.

The suggestion to remove that small bookcase with photos and knick-knacks and turn that staircase into a photo gallery was unanimous.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    How either of them work for you in your space, is the most important consideration...then decide if you like the look of one of them. I think they are both very nice :-)
  • spagirl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Attached is a photo to show the panelling, yet again an awkward area and one that I cannot put anything there, this is the garage door entry, we use this constantly, which brings me back the offending cupboard, Maybe the ottoman box look under a open console may be the answer?
  • spagirl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    okay I have been having a play cleared out space, The paper is for visual idea of rectangle gallery, is this what you are suggesting, Glass table I had, trying for where it looks best this one too big as too close to stairs what do you think tweaking the chandelier like this with touch black, I will paint bannister, Area rug what like? Or keep clear.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    The table is lovely, but not the right size for either area. The chandelier probably would look better with some black "tweaking". Try painting just the handrail and see what you think of it, before you paint the entire thing. Is your husband handy? Do you have relatives that are, perhaps they could build you a custom entry table?
  • qcade5871
    10 years ago
    Too busy maybe a cabinet with storage for the frames and load the photos on one of those photo frames.....
  • Cristina Hopper
    10 years ago
    Spagirl - I'm sorry, but I lost the thread for a while. I don't spend enough time on Houzz and I couldn't remember how to look up discussions I participated in. Anyway here is an illustration of what I had in mind with my suggestions (at least for one side of the room). I took cues from your family room/ living room photo in regards to style you like.
    Thanks for posting that picture of the stairs towards the garage. Indeed, that space needs to stay clear.
  • spagirl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions Christina I love the cupboard and in fact have been looking out for a piece I can renovate. These photos are the update of where I am at so far, I cannot cover the cupboard until we come up with idea for shoe storage, a cupboard may be okay but not box, in meantime I thought about looking around for fab mirror where I have the current ones ? Also Wouldnt something like a cupboard stick out too far her with stairs? The gallery wall will be less than previous and go to about the edge of the console, this landing will have a darker carpet so the white will look better and the style follows thru to our kitchen bench. HAve I painted the stairs correctly or do we paint full bannister leg that is attached to wall, The photo of the small cupboard is a old family piece I could chalk paint this (colour)? and put this on the cupboard wall with mirror above or opposite with picture above, So what do you all think so far and what else if anything we do here?
  • spagirl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    First photo looking from front door in, second upstairs toward kitchen entry, third cupboard I appear to have a double up so will attach another looking from kitchen up to stairs and bedrooms and second one from lounge across to the cupboard
  • Cristina Hopper
    10 years ago
    Thanks for posting new views of your room. You are right, nothing can go in front of the paneling, and we won't block the built-in cubby. In that case let's work with the rest of the space.

I found a picture on Houzz for your gallery wall.
    Photo collage · More Info

I think this will allow you to bring in color and texture and interest to your wall without taking up space like furniture would. Try to play with portraits and a couple of paintings in there too - mix it up. Otherwise I would not put anything at the top of that landing (I'd remove that console table). That picture wall should be enough visual interest to your space and it'll draw the eye to the furthest wall as you walk in your house.

I would try a small piece with closed storage between the bottom steps and that door by the entry. It looks like the space is no wider than 26", so it'll be a challenge to find something that fits and is tall enough. I would not use the wooden piece you showed above because you want wider proportions and fairly narrow depth so you don't bump into it as you walk by. (something like this
    Traditional Chests Of Drawers · More Info
    )
    I would hang a mirror on top of primping.

By the cubby you could add a single seat stool.
    Tennyson Linen Stool, Turquoise · More Info
    I'm not particularly suggesting these colors for the stool and bombe chest but something along these shapes.

At this point if you do that big picture wall and add these two pieces of furniture and a mirror, you might not need to hang anything on the wall above the cubby.

Also, I noticed your chandelier is quite substantial for the space and hanging pretty low. Would raising it a little or replacing it by something a little smaller be an option?
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    Stairs look good, great painting job! Will the table interfere with people going up and down the stairs, if not then keep it...it looks good. We have an over the door shoe holder on our door to the garage, so shoes are handy, but not seen.... I got to wondering, does the cubby with the shoes share a wall with the garage? If so, couldn't the doors be put in the garage instead of your entryway?
  • Sharon Roberts
    10 years ago
    Yep I would do console in front of the shoe cupboards but high and narrow so u can still access shoes... Pref with a drawer for chucking keys in..Take all photos down and put a large round mirror above the console or a great piece of art...and perhaps a couple of nice vases in an accent colour on the console off centre. Reframe from cheap ikea all of the prints in matching frames and do a photo wall up the stairs ... Then stop and reassess how that's all working
  • spagirl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Again cool ideas for me to consider, The chandelier we can shorten so will look at that, the shoes hanging on the door is a good idea, It is a brick wall on the garage side of a split level home so not an option to have cupboard opening there We could build something for shoes in the garage though so this has got me wondering... I love the stool and design of the cabinet the space you refer to Christina is 37inches for a space like that do you have it fit the full or close to full 37 or have it smaller with space either side?
  • Cristina Hopper
    10 years ago
    Spagirl - personally I'd find a cabinet to fill the space as best as possible, but without having it go in front of the door molding, for the door on the right as you come in. Perhaps something with somewhat rounded corners so you don't knock into it as you come out of that room right by your entry and head up the steps. Look for ca. 34-36" height. That's a good height to drop your keys and hat as you come in, and hang a nice mirror above it.
    Does that help?