jodie_narik

Help! which wood heater?? Aus vs Chinese made

Jodes
5 years ago
Trying to decide which wood heater to buy. We’re going inbuilt model.

Have narrowed it down to these two....

Kemlan C900
https://jetmastervic.com.au/product/c900/
Australian made
Radiant heat only (no fan)

Or
Norseman Aura Insert
https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/norseman-aura-insert-wood-heater
Chinese made
Fan mode

The dilemma is the Norseman is over $2k cheaper, I like that it has a fan. But the Kemlan does look a bit more solid, it really does radiate the heat out but will I wish it had a fan??

We are building our ‘forever’ home so quality is important but we don’t have an endless budget so the opportunity to save a decent amount of cash appeals. Just don’t want to wish in a year or two we’d spent the extra or had saved where we could.

I can’t find any online reviews for either. I’ve stood in front of an inbuilt Kemlan and it pumps the heat out. I’ve also stood in front of a freestanding Norseman and it seems as good but the guy did say that once it’s inbuilt it won’t have quite the same output.

Hubby thinks the fan mode will help push the heat out further into the room. It will be the main source of heating in main living room, we’ll turn ducted heating on low to circulate the warm air through bedrooms.

Any thoughts??

Comments (67)

• Johnno!
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hey Jan,

I still haven't bought one yet, probably decide in a couple of months.

I nearly bought the ADF Linea in January but when I called up to purchase it, the sale-rep advised me it should not be burned every day and its only ideal for holiday-homes. I thought that was BS so I got in touch with https://www.castworks.com.au/ who import them.

They told me it was fine to be used daily so that took care of that. But did warn me that any wood heater used daily will need certain parts replaced with time.

Because we are after something slick/clean and minimalist we ruled out all the bulky in-built. The compromise of this is that you don't get much heat from an in-built that doesn't have bulky metal facades, cause lets face it all these work on convection.

If you want an efficient inbuilt, its worth looking at the Nectre (made in Canada), but its not very attractive.

Truth is you wont find any reviews online about any of these heaters, I reckon I've looked at all of them by now, Regency Montrose ($6300)/Visioline Taurus ($4650)/Studio 2/ even the PAD 950 Guillotine which is 'Living Fire' own brand.

At one point I was going to go to the Regency Montrose, but I still like the look of the ADF Linea 100 plus its latch is kid proof.

At the end of the day none of these heaters have a great burn time, efficiency etc. So all you are really paying for is the look.

Based on my research, from all the above the ADF Linea works out to be the cheapest once you take into account the flu kit/zero clearance/ fan(optional)

FACT: Fans + Wood heaters is an AUSSIE thing, apparently around the world fans aren't a thing.

Let me know what you decide, maybe you can sway my opinion.

Regards,

• Jan Dobson
    3 years ago

Cheers, Johhno. Looks like you have come to the same conclusions as we have. We’re definitely going for a freestanding heater which has the advantage of increased efficiency and having lived with both in built fan and fan free heaters, definitely not adding a fan. After searching, with little success, for reviews, we’re going with a reputable supplier and hoping for the best. Like you we’d prefer a more modern look if possible. Looked at the Visionline Taurus but I think that fiddlely door handle might drive me nuts tbh. We have an installer coming to the house for an on site check, and depending on his opinion, we’ll go with the ADF Linea or Hayra. I’ll let you know how it goes, although we’ll be well into winter before we will really know

• Johnno!
    3 years ago

Hey Jan,

That sounds good, for efficient a freestanding is definitely the way to go.

Some also offer addition flue kits that you can spread through the house if it is your main source of heat.

I look forward to hearing from you again, I'll be making my purchases closer to winter :)

• Paul Murphy
    2 years ago

Very interesting to read through these comments, Can't remember all of what has been said but who ever was having trouble with heater not burning all night, probably need new glass or rope seal or your airflow is not shutting down. New heaters are made so that they do not shut down all the way. As for all the rest of the queries/questions my opinion is that you are all overthinking it too much. In the end the heating effeciency comes down to the wood you are using and quite often the operator using it. As for fans, yes they push the heat around better than a radiant heater, yes they can be noisy etc but it is called maintenance, keep it clean and serviced and shouldn't have a problem. Personally I would say, stick with known and proven brands eg Heatcharm, Coonara, Arrow. If you want Australian made personally Jindarra/Eureka made in Ararat Victoria are well known good brands. And if you are thinking hmmm ?? yes I do know a bit about wood heaters.

• rinnia
    2 years ago

Thanks for reviving this thread. Are there any real life user experiences of ADF Linea or Visionline Taurus out there? We like that look for a free standing heater also

• RJ
    2 years ago

I would like to hear from anyone who has installed a Kemlan C900 fan option. I really like the look of the unit but would like to hear from people who own before I purchase.

• macyjean
    2 years ago

To anyone looking to install for this winter, there are reports of firewood suppliers only selling to existing customers due to shortages. And don't think about burning anything else, old pallets and fencing and so on can be treated with chemicals which produce toxic smoke. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-08/firewood-shortage-across-australia-fuels-price-surge/100194888

• Bob Thomas
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi I have a similar situation. This is my 4th wood heater purchase and it doesn't get easier. Cost v output v reliability v looks

Jindara - Tilga excellent but over 4k all Jindara's smaller models do not have a fan.

Nectre Mk 2 - Sounds OK but not sure if output high enough.

Pacific Energy - great reviews but $$$$

Osburn - bought before and was excellent, would buy again but heard they now manufacture some out to China and can't find out which ones!

Any suggestions with experience would be welcome. New house on acreage with 12 x 8 living area + master bedroom.

BTW I always buy one somewhat bigger than specs say.

• RJ
    2 years ago

Thanks Bob I have an old built in Osburn, love it, has heated our farmhouse for 19yrs, but the local dealer said he doesn't sell them much any more, didn't know about build locations he didn't really have a reason why. Building on so need another for the new end of the house.

lg Jindaras on the short list

Jarrahdale Clydesdale (any idea on these - im in WA so local sits well)

and the Kemlan but not keen on ceramic Baffles

Will take husband and just decide .. bricky needs dimensions...:)

• Mary-Ann
    2 years ago

I’d like to see the ADF Hayra in real life, does anyone know of a stockist in Adelaide who is open on weekends? Wholesaler referred me to Lobethal Sheet Metal who are 9-5 Mon - Fri. Not useful.

• Jan Dobson
    2 years ago

Hey Mary-Ann, I can’t help with a South Aus supplier, but ours arrives in about two weeks. If you have any specific questions or need up close or angled photos, hit me up.

• Mary-Ann
    2 years ago

Thanks Jan, we have found a winery that installed an ADF Hayra last week. We are heading up there for some wine tasting and a look see on the weekend. Hope that I like it as much in person, the winery owner is really happy with its heat output. Hope you like it just as much once its installed.

• Lis
    2 years ago

Why wood burning? Gas is so much easier, cleaner, hassle free

• Johnno!
    2 years ago

its all about the 'ambience' - plus not all of us have access to gas were we are

• Mary-Ann
    2 years ago

Yes, no gas here either and on a rural block there is no prospect of a gas line running outside our house ever. What we do have is a lifetime supply of seasoned red gum gathered from fallen timber on our own property. The vast majority of our fallen timber stays on the ground for critters to access.

• kylierus
    2 years ago

Hi Mary-Ann I’m in Adelaide too and would love to know which winery has the ADF fireplace as I have been considering these also.

• Mary-Ann
    2 years ago

Tilbrook Estate in Lobethal, James and Annabelle Tilbrook were very happy to show us how it operated and tell us how it compared to other combustion heaters over the years (very well).
    https://tilbrookestate.com.au/
    Very worthwhile visit, bought wine and the best sourdough baguette too!

• kylierus
    2 years ago

Thanks Mary-Ann and thanks for the photos too it looks great I’m definitely keen now Might need to go and have a sneaky wine tasting day too 😉

• rinnia
    2 years ago

ok in the end we went for Pacific Energy (Canadian brand) Neo 1.6 (smaller version of the 2.5 pictured above) as it seemed robust, efficient, easy to use and good quality. Although for looks I still think some of the others have the edge (in my view). Only been a week but it goes well (we are still learning) we did not opt for a fan but it can be added later.

The main problem ended up being finding a location in the room as the beams in the roof dictate where the flue can go and I didnt want a bend- something to consider! We have timber floors so we got a 1 metre granite slab from the local stone supplier which was much nicer that the hearths from the fireplace shop

• Mary-Ann
    2 years ago

Ours on order, cant wait

• HU-411429955
    2 years ago

If your fireplace is underperforming, these are the best to solve that issue https://firewarehouse.shop/collections/frontpage

• Johnno!
    2 years ago

So I went to purchase the ADF Linea today, wait times vary from Mar-2022 (at best) to Mid-2022... my gosh this has become a popular unit..

Might look into the Visionline Taurus too as an alternative option.

• Kerry White
    2 years ago

Hi I am writing this to Jan Dobson who has the adf Hayra pictured above. I am from Castworks who is the importer of the beautiful adf fires into Australia. Jan we located your image on the web and may have a small concern with the fire. We are unsure but it appears from the image that there are no baffles in the firebox. The baffles would have come with the fire and are to be installed inside at the top of the fire box. Hopefully the image is just deceptive and they are installed but I would appreciate you checking before you burn the fire. I am sorry this is the only way we can think of getting in contact with you. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions at info@castworks.com.au.

• Jan Dobson
    2 years ago

Hi Kerry, thx for the information. I’ve been in contact with the retailer and his installer and they’re following it up. Cheers, JD

• Mary-Ann
    2 years ago

We ordered our ADF Hayra in July 2021, hopefully its not too much longer…

• Kerry White
    2 years ago

Hi Mary-Ann

I'm Kerry from Castworks. If you contact the retailer you purchased the unit from they can contact me with your order number and I will happily supply them with an ETA for you.

Kindest Regards

Kerry

• Mary-Ann
    2 years ago

I’ll do that, thanks Kerry

• kylierus
    last year

Hello all A quick question for either Jan or Mary-Ann (or both!) how are you finding the opening mechanism on the ADF fireplaces? We are finally getting close to having to choose and order and we went to take a look at the unit at Lobethal Sheetmetal and found the ’tool’ required to open the door terrible Is it very difficult to use? We really like the fireplace but hated the handle

We are wondering whether we could get something manufactured to make it easier.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

• Jan Dobson
    last year

Hi Kylie, tbh most of the time we don’t use the door opener at all. We found the lever doesn’t get hot enough to be uncomfortable, so we just use our hands to open and close and to adjust for heat. Having said that, I do think the tool would be troublesome for someone with hand mobility issues, but I found it easier than I thought it might be, on those occasions I’ve used it.

As a side note, if your heater is free standing, check with the installer to ensure all the parts of the flue are aesthetically pleasing. The surround at the ceiling on ours is unexpectedly bulky and wouldn’t have been our first choice if we’d been more aware

• kylierus
    last year

Thanks Jan. I appreciate you getting back. I am surprised you would be able to pull the door open with the small piece protruding out. The fireplace we saw today, the lever came out only 1-2cm at most.

I dont know if it was because this was a demo model but it was so stiff there was no way you could pull it open with just your hands and closing again would be just as difficult.

Would it be too much to ask if you could send me a photo of your latch? thank you for your help.

I wondered if the one we saw was missing a connection or am i just missing something myself 🤨

• Mary-Ann
    last year

@kylierus ours going into a new build and not yet installed. Thanks for the flue tip @Jan Dobson …

• Jan Dobson
    last year

Hi again Kylie, yes the latch doesn’t come out very far but ours is easy to operate. Husband says he thinks you could adjust it to be tighter or more loose, so perhaps the retailer has done that? I do remember discussing how easily it opened/closed with the installer. Also reminded me to say that you wouldn’t open it without the attachment if it was full and running on high (but that you probably wouldn’t need to do so at that time, either)

Photos are heat adjustment, latch in closed position, latch in open position. Hope this helps

• kylierus
    last year

Brilliant. Thank you @Jan Dobson. I really appreciate it.

The unit we saw was at Lobethal Sheetmetal and the latch was extremely stiff. Your suggestion about tightening/loosening makes sense then.

Thanks again. 😊🙏

• stefanial87
    last year

Hi al, I've been reading all the comments and I am also looking for an efficient modern look fire heater (I really like the ADF Linea 100). Is there anyone in here that got it and would be able to tell me for how long it runs for and if it is efficient please? I'm looking at the sculpt as well (seguin vision 8 plus) if anyone has some opinions. Looking to heat a 250/300sqm.

Thanks in advance.

• Chris Isaac
    last year

In same boat. Looking at adf 100

• macyjean
    last year

Efficiency depends in part on correct operation. Noticeably varies around here when houses are sold.

• Johnno!
    last year

@Chris Isaac just FYI and as always DIY research. The ADF Linea is a great looking unit, but it gets shipped from Portugal without any internal re-designed features for the Aussie Climate.

• Chris Isaac
    last year

Any suggestions/alternatives for modern landscape designed wood heater?

• macyjean
    last year

"landscape designed wood heater"?

• Chris Isaac
    last year

Landscape shape (not upright, not traditional shape), clean, modern lines

• Johnno!
    last year

I was sold on the ADF Linea, but due to the long wait I ended up with the Vision Line Taurus - it ended up being cheaper overall + it's redesigned for the Australian Climate.

• Will Manning
    last year

Johnno! Just wondering what Visionline change to make the Taurus suitable for Australian climate? Plus how have you found the unit so far?

• Carol Clement
    last year

Hi Will, we have the Taurus and certainly love the look. We installed it late winter last year so it’s only recently that we have really put it through its paces. We have a huge open plan area to heat and this does do the job but needs a constant supply of hardwood to keep it effective. i am a bit disappointed at how quickly it burns through the timber even when turned down. it is absolutely cold by next morning and does not provide warmth overnight. it also billows smoke whenever the door is opened though this eventually lessens as the heat builds and the timber burns more efficiently. The firebox is quite shallow and it’s a challenge at times to stoke the timber safely as on occasions the coals and logs teeter on the front edge and it’s easy for them to fall out. We crafted a steel lip to sit in front as a prevention. And lastly it’s disappointing that no matter how much we try we always end up with blackening on the glass which requires daily cleaning. i’m guessing this is related to the abundance of smoke that seems to remain accumulated when lighting the fire and getting it going over the first hour. And yes, our firewood is excellent quality and dry but i can’t help thinking there needs to be a redesign to allow the smoke to travel up the flu rather than remain in the firebox.

• Will Manning
    last year

Thanks for your review Carol. Very informative. It sounds as if the maintainence may be a bit more than I was expecting. This is possibly a general problem with wood based fires maybe? To be honest I may be heading down the gas fireplace track.

• Mary-Ann
    last year

@kylierus We just had our Hayra installed in our new build, like @Jan Dobson we can easily open and shut without using the handle. Heats the space well, glad we didn’t add the fan, its not necessary in our space.

• kylierus
    last year

Hi @Mary-Ann Your fireplace looks amazing! thank you for the update. I’ve been quite worried about the whole handle situation so it is great to gear feom both yourseld and @Jan Dobson that it works fine. We have been looking at a lot of units and keep coming back to the ADF. We were looking at the inbuilt model so were considering the fan, however looking at your photos I think our space is very similar where our tv is so perhaps the freestanding is an option after all. Food for thought. Thank you

• HU-44856142
    10 months ago

Has any instainstalled a charnwood aire 7 or a nectre 15L and what do you think

• HU-44856142
    10 months ago

Im looki stat a nectre15L ir charnwood aire 7 any thoughts

• macyjean
    10 months ago

I think no.