webuser_461596879

paint disaster with Dulux Vivid White

HU-461596879
5 years ago

Used Vivid White (Dulux) on walls. OMG! its like liquid paper white! not good. Changed to Natural white and hoping this looks better. Laundry too so gets full sun.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

The ONLY way to choose a white is to get a sample, either a sample pot, or an A4 brush-out from a professional. Put it in the room that you are planning to paint, and live with it for a few days to see how your perception of it changes with the changes of light during the day and night. Your perception of white depends on the quality of light from windows, light fittings and colour of your light bulbs, as well as what other colours it refelcts such as the colour of the floor. In my experience Dulux Vivid White is great for timber trims in older style homes, but is too clinical as a wall paint. I also know that one white which looks great in one house can look completely different and quite wrong in another house. Spend a little money on a sample pot and save stress and big dollars down the track...

Best of luck

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• Tilly
    5 years ago
    I always buy sample pots and paint a large piece of cardboard.
    Also I’m a big fan of Dulux Whisper white.
  • bigreader
    5 years ago
    Vivid white is untinted so it is white white white. Natural white I think may be too far the other way (although I do love it). Agree Whisper White may be a good choice. Lots of people suggest Lexicon 1/2 or 1/4 strength but I found it also too stark. I’m going to try Wattyl Chalk Dust for my next repaint (if you’d like to see pics of it google Amity Dry house).
  • zaffa
    5 years ago
    Dulux Snowy Mountains Qtr or half strength is another good option. Not too cold/stark but also not too warm/cream looking
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 years ago

Take the "hope it will be ok" out of colour selection by preparing large sample boards that you can move around. On many projects we'll prepare say 3-4 samples of each colour/tone being considered on a 900mm x 900mm approx pieces of ply that can be moved around and considered. It might cost a few hundred dollars for the exercise but to get the decision correct it's a no-brainer investment, particularly when you can be spending $30K on painting labour for a house. Colour and tints are super subtle and will be perceived differently depending upon what they are next to and how large an area they cover.

Colour choice needs to made in context with understanding about what it will be interacting with and relating to in terms of extent of light & other materials/finishes in the same space

http://www.resene.com.au/samecolour.htm

Is this the same colour?

• Julie2266 B
    3 years ago

lexicon quarter?