swich5

To Love a Laundry...

swich5
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm hoping this is permitted, but I'm reposting from a couple days ago, adding my specific laundry plan here in the hope of eliciting some more specific comment or suggestion on my laundry layout than the more general advice some of you shared already on layout planning (thanks for that! - most helpful).

Here's the cropped part of our plan with just the laundry and surrounding walls, doors etc. The laundry itself is 1000mm x 2330mm. The two icons have been placed there for suggestion. I expect that's not where I'd place things. Any layout suggestions gratefully received. Builder wants to put tub at the external door end (cleaning practicalities he cites, since a washer or dryer there would attract dirt and dust alongside the wall). My intuition tells me the sink would actually be more part of my central work zone - not over yonder end - and Im thinking I'd prefer to have bench top space as a handy landing zone for a basket as I open that external door, and also to pop it down when retrieving it from outside as I then close the door behind me, or retrieve stray children from outdoors etc, then double as a folding zone. I have a washer and dryer with opposite opening doors (!). As the washer is nearing it's life's end, this may change so I wouldn't write off stacking them again as I do currently. Builder is expecting we would install some bench top space and I would ideally like some space for storage, either built in down the track, or even just under bench storage for dirty laundry, with provision elsewhere, if not under the sink, to store cleaning and washing products. I might be dreaming with these dimensions... Also, those bulky laundry baskets in a galley style plan!! Can't just chuck them on the floor in the road!

I quite like this simple plan, which would work in mirror image with my layout (window/door at opposite end but followed again by bench, tub and lastly appliances closest to internal house).

Also, the designer and builder differed as to whether the broom cupboard should be carved out of the main hallway linen cupboard (as it is now on the plan), or whether we should pop it into the laundry - effectively reducing any benchtop and appliance space, but keeping all the cleaning gear distinct from the linen storage area and giving us more room for that. The total footprint of the linen area, however it is designed, is 2230mm. This means that if we combined broom and linen, I'd have a similarly sized linen to what I currently use, no bigger, but I'd say I'd get more flexibilty with the layout of the laundry, which might be more beneficial. We're already gaining a wardrobe and storage cupboard elsewhere in the house. Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (18)