elclarke1975

What colour to paint my walls?

Louise C
April 9, 2019
last modified: April 9, 2019

Hi there,I've got no idea what colour to paint my bedroom walls. It's hideous right now and that blue/ green gives me a headache!I was thinking shades of taupe, but I really have no idea. Do I gloss the woodwork, what to do about the doors AND should I stick to one colour or have an accent wall? Actually any advice is welcome. I am unsure overall of how to make the space better.Pictures in comments.Thanks so much in advance.Lou

Comments (12)

• Louise C

Please ignore the revolting verticals. I'm in a rental.

• bigreader
    If you’re in a rental do you have the landlords permission? I’d use white paint.
    Louise C thanked bigreader
  • annb1997

Louise, are you only wanting to repaint the feature wall, or all walls? Is white to match the other walls of interest or are you wanting to inject a bit of colour?

Are you able to post samples of some taupes that appeal? The drape colour is nice. Love your cat! I take it he’s/she’s offering helpful advice?!

Louise C thanked annb1997
  • annb1997

You’ve styled your bed beautifully...greys? Perhaps a light grey for walls.

• annb1997

Warm grey suggestion:

The 2nd pic shows contrast with dark grey furnishings similar to your bedhead.

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls

Thanks for posting a great example of a feature wall that should never have been done. As it is not your property you should get your landlord's permission. Perhaps the easiest thing to suggest would be to propose painting the feature wall to match the colour of the other three walls. This will ensure consistency with the other three walls (and the rest of your home). No reasonable landlord could say no, whereas if you are proposing another colour...

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

Louise C thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • annb1997

Sorry other photo is t loading. You can have a look on Dulux website.

• annb1997

Dulux also has some ‘Warm Neutrals‘ you might like.

• PRO
    AW Interior Design

Hi Louise, I did a little mock up for you. I would look at using some more greys and whites and brightening up the room. I mimicked your lamp and just "sprayed it gold" and changed the shade colours to draw your eye up to the artwork. I liked the bedding so played off that a little and added more textures and I love black, white, grey together, super chic and glam. It's amazing what a lick of paint can do. You would need to get permission to do anything to the woodwork, if you're a tenant its maybe best to leave it as is. I dont know what colours the other walls are but if theyre neutral enough you could leave them as is. Hope you like my attempt and happy to answer any q's. You're welcome to follow me too, more projects coming up soon!

Amy

Louise C thanked AW Interior Design
  • Louise C

Oh wow!! Thanks so much everyone!! Landlord has given us permission to make ourselves at home and do what we like :)

@AW Interior Design, Amy, thank you, I really loved those colour suggestions. I'll definitely throw you a like!!

@annb1997 Thanks for your comment! I was hoping for a bit of colour.

Haha, yes, Charlie always loves to offer his opinion and they're often purrfect. (Sorry couldn't help myself )

@dr Retro Housecalls, I know! How revolting is it! Thank you for your comment :)

• annb1997

Louise, I quite like the timber trim as it lends warmth to the room. Is the door unpainted timber too? If you do decide to paint trim work, using a satin sheen in same shade as walls (if all same colour) but in half or quarter strength Would give a subtle contrast.

Water-based rather than an acrylic is much easier to use and clean up, plus it dries faster. Not too sure about painting the door, my experience is that’s best left to a professional painter (for the best finish), but that’s not to say you can’t do it yourself if you are willing.

• PRO
    AW Interior Design

@Louise C- Sure no prob and thank you, that's lovely.