robyneroeder

What to do with this fireplace and doors?

robyneroeder
5 years ago
Hi everyone, we would like your opinion regarding this fireplace and the doors to the room.
We bought this house to retire into and we are about to start an extension out the back and to renovate the existing house. It’s a bungalow style house built in the 1920’s and is in original condition. The bones are good and the fittings were built to last.
Unfortunately I think this fireplace is ugly but we aren’t sure what to do with it. I think it’s too high and too dark and I’m not too sure about the style of bricklaying either! Do we cut it down, box it in, render or paint it? Or learn to love it just as it is. It’s in rock solid condition and left alone it would last for another 100 years easily. Whatever we do it will have a slow combustion wood heater inset in it when finished.
This room will be a lounge with a desk, couple of arm chairs, bookcase, etc and we are going for a light, cosy and warm look in keeping with the style of the house. Haven’t decided wether to carpet or polish the floorboards yet. The beautiful windows will be kept and renovated.
Also the doors! As they are they intrude into the passage when open and block the traffic flow. I’m thinking of taking them off and putting a timber frame around them both and turning them into sliding doors. Would this work? Would you keep the glass or replace it? Or throw them out and replace with something else?
We will appreciate any advice you can give us.

Comments (8)