houzzau

Yay or Nay? Carpet in the bathroom

HouzzAU
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Many warmer climates have a tradition of carpeted bathrooms - but it's a rarity in Australia.

Do you like the idea of carpet in your master bathroom? https://www.houzz.com/photos/6-marlborough-avenue-traditional-bathroom-devon-phvw-vp~5617745
Yay - soft and warm
Nay - hot and soggy

Comments (36)

• carthiefintexas
    9 years ago
    I think eww, gross comes to mind!
  • Shelley Cheng
    9 years ago
    no way!
  • PRO
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    Definitely not, keeping it dry would be a nightmare and in the heat and humidity of summer mould would be a huge issue. On our hot steamy days the cool bathroom tiles are so pleasant and in winter two thick bathmats, strategically placed are all the warmth I need.
  • Lainie
    9 years ago
    The thought of carpet in the bathroom is a little horrifying.
  • mcphee_2011
    9 years ago
    Imagine a 'Night on the carpet' - a nice change from cold tiles when you are plastered... just need to hire industrial cleaners to remove the stains thereafter....
  • Kiana Hunt
    9 years ago
    Never. That's the whole point of a bath mat. You still get the comfy warm feeling, but the key #1 point is you can pick up a bath mat and wash it!! Imagine a bathroom flooding incident with carpet. Disaster.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    9 years ago
    No. First thing I would rip out.
  • saoor
    9 years ago
    it mixed bettwen passt and now
  • User
    9 years ago
    Nope. Prefer bathmats.
  • PRO
    Di Vinci Studio Bathrooms & Interiors
    9 years ago
    that is just wrong in so many ways. most bathrooms have toilets in them now, can you imagine trying to get urine stains and smells out of carpet. bathmat is fine, but carpet is just wrong.
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    Ewwwwwwwww
  • snowflakedreaming
    9 years ago
    If it's that cold, put in underfloor heating.
  • Serena
    9 years ago
    Not a chance- i'd prefer concrete!
  • giacometta
    9 years ago
    I lived in a 1940s rental in Hobart that had 'bathroom carpet'. It was really a very high quality bath mat that was available in a large roll and cut to fit the floor. It was fantastic! That said, the loo was separate and I didn't like it there. I was living with three males ...
  • shelleyuk
    9 years ago
    In the UK it used to be fairly common but that was years and years ago. Carpet in the bathroom is a bad idea.
  • 7weed1
    9 years ago
    We had carpet in our renovated bathroom when I was a child. It was lovely. It was what was called "kitchen carpet", waterproof but soft and warm on the feet. When I get my own house again I'll be putting kitchen carpet in the bathroom. Lovely.
  • Sammy Goumas
    9 years ago
    No....sorry just no. Just unhygienic
  • kazz66
    9 years ago
    I rented a house with carpet in the bathroom it actually worked really well. I was very surprised.
  • PRO
    ALLKIND Joinery
    9 years ago
    Nay
  • smiles4eva6393
    9 years ago
    Just the thought of the hot, musty and wet feeling makes me cringe
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Like the idea of stepping out on to a soft spongy non slip surface...like on a yacht. Some of that Loofah-like carpet is nice...but not if it cannot be washed and sun dried or steam-mopped. Thinking about it...It might all look very luxurious and could be presented as a "safety feature" for those not too sure on their feet...But...No, I'd prefer a vinol or cork or tiled bathroom floor with an extra large absorbent well-secured bath mat for use that can be thoroughly washed and disinfected...and maybe an even plusher one just for show.
  • harryinahurry
    9 years ago
    I think we must splash about a bit more in Aus; when watching shows like Escape to the Country (UK) I am surprised at how many bathrooms have timber floors. If it was our place the room underneath would be dripping at shower time :)
    I lived in a renter once that had kitchen carpet, it was surprisingly resilient but stained near the sink and awful pattern! A bath mat can be thrown in the washing machine and dried on the line in the wind and sun.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Tried it once, it looked luxurious but was not practical. Friend of mine put that marine carpet in his and so far it looks good...but I'd alwats be worried about the 'stuff' underneath. Many new bathrooms have tiles or marble now and the floors need to be constructed for drainage anyway. As harryinahurry states, a nice generous bath mat that can be thrown in the washing machine. and dried in the sun has gotta be the healthiest opton. About timber floors and rooms underneath drippin at shower time...I don't think that would happen if all the regulations and waterproofing were installed in a new build in Australia and if the waterproofings etc were not done properly the inspectors would not pass the building and it would all have to be pulled up and done to code. Old Houses? Well, I think the owners' own sense of hygene and safety needs to prevail.
    Am still of the opinion of my former post.
  • PRO
    David Wilkes Design
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't dream of it personally! That's what bath mats were invented for :)
  • Laura Kook
    9 years ago
    absolutely not! it will get all mouldy from gettingwet
  • Heather Gibson
    9 years ago
    Get heated cooking instead
  • Heather Gibson
    9 years ago
    Apologies that was meant to read heated flooring
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    Good laugh Heather.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I hate carpet... period!
  • Sharon
    8 years ago

If you want warm underfoot you could just get a big rug, nice and warm but washable

• vivian gaglia
    8 years ago
    You can have it if you want because it looked nice but,
  • wendyec
    9 months ago

Can’t think of anything more disgusting than carpet in a bathroom. Impossible to keep clean and dry, particularly with a toilet in the bathroom. There is huge range of bathmats available to keep your feet warm that you can just throw in the washing machine or even timber mats you can wipe clean

• Kate
    9 months ago

Very old post

• Sue Simmonds
    8 months ago

Here’s a thought if the floor is cold. Just put slippers next to the bed 😂 toilets and carpet nnooooo