webuser_636423986

Seeking Green Thumbs: Dive into My Landscape Design, Tips please!

C P
last month

Hi All,

Whilst waiting for a landscape designer to get back to me on concept, I thought I'd reach out here to see if anyone can visualise something different to give me perspective.

For example, builder says to have a concrete layout (swirl finish) outside back door from fence-to-fence and then a step-up (I think 2 or 3 steps) retaining wall to second level with grass.

Here are my thoughts:

-I feel there is too much concrete if it's fence-to-fence

-Should the concrete be the width of the house only, with bordering plants/trees?

-The driveway alongside the house is too narrow and will be utilised in another way

-I'm thinking square pavers with grass, but can't identify where to place it

-There may be a shed to the back right corner (or elsewhere if its better)

There are many things to consider, so any tips or considerations would be appreciated (for example, different finish on concrete or material), use of space, design etc.

Thank you as always.

Attached: Current state of backyard, inspiration, siteplan

Comments (7)

• siriuskey
    last month
    last modified: last month

The first thing that jumps out is the house at the end of the Garden, perhaps a row of olive trees will help with covering this and giving privacy, the Olive trees can be Pleached.

The mass of old concrete which could cost a fortune to get rid of down the narrow side of the house..

This could be broken up to be used as crazy paving (Urbanite)

https://makinghome.com.au/articles/crazy-paving/

https://archipro.com.au/article/crazy-paving-why-one-of-the-worlds-oldest-paving-styles-is-staging-a-comeback-in-modern-homes-central-coast-tile-and-stone-warehouse

And paint the 3 fences the same colour.

C P thanked siriuskey
  • Julie Herbert
    last month

I would definitely not concrete to the fence, rendered low walls for garden beds would look fantastic and give you that lush green element.. your landscape designer will also have some ideas for you.

C P thanked Julie Herbert
  • Julie Herbert
    last month

If you wanted pavers leading up to your back , a design like this set into the lawn could look great, simple but very stylish.

C P thanked Julie Herbert
  • Kath
    last month

You'll notice that these photos aren't using concrete slabs, swirled or otherwise. We used porcelain pavers from Bunnings for our terrace. Cost effective, look great and very hard-wearing with no need to seal. Width of the house, not fence to fence. At the very least, paint all the fences the same colour. Depending on your budget, you could consider buying rolls of screening designed to be attached to fences - brushwood, reeds, bamboo (or timber panels). I've not used the rolls so no idea how long-lasting they are, but hopefully the plants would have grown in front of the fences before they deteriorate. Make the beds wide enough to have plenty of room for plants. Plant selection depends on the climate where you live - and personal style!

"I'm thinking square pavers with grass, but can't identify where to place it." Did you mean to park the car on? If the driveway is too narrow for the car, you don't really have a choice but to put it right in the front. Which side might depend on the outlook from the front of your house.

C P thanked Kath
  • C P
    Original Author
    last month

Hi @siriuskey, I was looking at crazy paving and was thinking, do they come in tiles ready made? Or do you have to buy the cracked pavers and then arrange them yourselves? Was thining like a white type colour.

I also agree on painting the fences the same colour. Think I'll go white, so the greeny will stand out nicely.

Thanks @Julie Herbert. Yes, those images are fantastic, and something I can run past the landscaper/builder. Something simple, but so long we get the borders/beds right, should be ok.

@Kath, agree with all on width of house. The only issue I have is that left of the floorplan, I'm unsure what to do there. Theres also a neighbours mango tree which overhangs, and during mango season drops alot of fruit. Might need to cut, or place a net there. Regarding the pavers, I was thinking from the house, the patio (concrete or otherwise), then a small patch grass with 1 or 2 pavers before the steps to the retaining wall.

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    last month

I think it will depend where the sun is too. Where is north? Can you plant deciduous trees along the north and west sides to block hot summer sun but let the winter into warm the area? I think knowing the climate and north are paramount first..... Cheers Margot