jill314_gw

What single bowl stainless sink to fit 24" base cabinet

jill314
10 years ago

With our kitchen remodel, I think we're going to go with a 24" sink cabinet in order to use our limited space best. I'd like to find the largest sink that can fit - does anyone have suggestions? I prefer stainless and I think a top mount will help to maximize the size of the sink bowl. Price is a factor, so less expensive is better. I'd love to see what has worked for you! Thanks!

Comments (12)

• User
    10 years ago

21'' is as big as you can do.

• jill314
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! The thing I'm finding is that sink measurements are all over the place... the outer measurement doesn't always correspond very well to the actual bowl measurement. If the *bowl* is 21", then will it fit? What about if the bowl is 22"? See what I mean?

Another question (maybe I should start a new thread...), if you go with a smaller sink than the maximum (eg if you get a sink that requires a 27" cabinet and you have a 36" cabinet), can you install the sink off-center in the larger cabinet? Just trying to figure out all the options.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

We planning to use this 24" wide ikea sink cabinet:

AKURUM
    Base cb f sink w 2 drs/fascia panel, white, Härlig white
    http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S29867294/

with this sink:
    Ruvati RVM4130 Undermount 16 Gauge 25" Kitchen Sink Single Bowl
    http://www.ruvati.com/product-p/rvm4130.htm
    bought from efaucets.com

Although the sink looks too large, the inside dimensions of the cabinet are 22.5" wide, and the dimensions of the sink bowl are 22 13/16" wide (CAD drawing measurements). So as you can see, it will only require minor shaving to fit the bowl in the cabinet, and some notching of the top side edges of the cabinet to fit the sink flanges. We will be using a sink setter to mount the sink to the underside of the granite counters, rather than standard brackets.

We haven't installed the sink yet, but "hacking" cabinets to fit sinks of commonly done. The process we are planning to follow is discussed in detail in the ikeafans thread below - including photos:

Here is a link that might be useful: Is this sink too big?

• User
    10 years ago

Agree with feisty68. It might be horrifying to consider shaving cabinets to fit the sink but it's done frequently. I did it 9 years ago and have never had a problem with it. It might be easier if the cabinet were ply rather than particle board and you could order just the sink base with the ply upgrade (which is a good idea anyway for a sink base). It also makes no difference if the sink is undermount or drop-in. The sides of the cabinet can be eased down the thickness of the sink flange, again with no long term ill effects.

• jill314
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! I think we are having custom cabinets done... So probably the cabinet make could make something like that work...? I will add it to the list of things to ask.

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

I put a Kraus-23-inch-Undermount-Single-Bowl-Stainless-Steel-Kitchen-Sink in my 24 inch base its a nice deep sink i my basement bar/kitchenette

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Kraus-23-inch-Undermount-Single-Bowl-Stainless-Steel-Kitchen-Sink/3730988/product.html

• sdp22
    6 years ago

@likewhatyoudo Did you need to shave sections of your base cabinet? The description say 27" minimum cabinet. Are you still liking it 3 years later? Thanks

• PRO
    Bells Construction Group
    6 years ago

I have almost the same questions as sdp22. I was looking at this for a 24"cabinet, but wanted to ask someone who actually installed it. Did you have to shave your cabinet? Do you have any concerns 4 years later? I know this is an old post, but I still see you around the forums, so I thought I would ask.

• likewhatyoudo
    6 years ago
    The lip of the sink on each side sat ON the cabinet frame slightly. Granite was installed with no issue. I feel like it is solid and have had no issues with daily use.
  • likewhatyoudo
    6 years ago
    We used the KRAUS 23 Inch Undermount Single Bowl 16 Gauge Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink. Very nice deep sink. Here are the dimensions from the photo:
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Bell's Construction:

If I can put a 33" sink into a 33" cabinet, you can put a 24" sink into a 24" cabinet, no problem.

Sponsored