adeieso

Need help with lounge room decor

adeieso
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Lounge Room Dilemma · More Info

Lounge Room Dilemma · More Info

Lounge Room Dilemma · More Info

Lounge Room Dilemma · More Info

My lounge room currently consists of a black modular leather couch and white gloss buffet & entertainment unit. Recently purchased an occasional chair. Am looking to buy rug, coffee table and prints for the wall but have no idea what to buy. I am looking to soften the room as I now regret buying the leather couch as room looks very sterile. How do I make it cozy? The room is an L-shaped lounge/dining area so not sure what size rug would suit and how to place it. The sofa and buffet lie along the longest wall so would like to place wall print/canvas above the sofa and something above the buffet. If I have framed print/s above sofa, do I need perhaps a canvas above buffet or vice versa, or should both wall art be the same ie both in frames, or both canvases as they are on the same wall? Also have no idea what type coffee table would suit as I would rather not purchase white gloss table to match buffet & entertainment unit as I will be continuing with the "cold" vibe. Both buffet and sofa have chrome legs. I recently purchased a lamp for the buffet which incorporates a little timber and has a natural shade and I am looking to perhaps replace the current canvases above the buffet as the colours are possibly not suitable for the cozy feel I am going for?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I HAVE NO IDEA!!!

Also having trouble uploading a photo. I click on "upload photo" at bottom of box that I type this text in, I select photo and say ok/open etc and that's it. Nothing happens!

• LesleyH
    3 years ago
    Or embrace the black as in the photos attached.
    adeieso thanked LesleyH
    Best Answer
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    3 years ago

Try posting photos in comments here. Is it possible to return /exchange the black modular couch? They are not impossible to decorate around, but are difficult, as they tend to dominate.

adeieso thanked Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
  • adeieso
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Thanks for your response. I think I worked how to upload photos so have edited my original post. I purchased the couch almost 2 years ago so unfortunately can't return it

• bigreader
    3 years ago
    I think you need a huge rug in front of the sofas. You seem to like blue tones so I'd go for a eclectic Persian type but with blue leanings.

Can you save a few living room photos in your look books do we can see what look you like?
    adeieso thanked bigreader
  • petapea
    3 years ago

I'd go a huge, light grey woollen rug which fits under the entire couch area (colour would also blend in with your occassional chair). Add a coffee table in light wood or rattan look which pulls in the natural shade of your lamp on the console. Cushions could then pick up the lovely fresh colours in your existing pics (white; blue; watermelon) plus a textured throw. A large, interesting pendant in that room would also add character and warmth. Maybe a mirror along the wall above the couch? And a few plants also add interest and 'life' to a room.

adeieso thanked petapea
  • galnoir
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I think you had the right idea when you purchased an accent with timber. You have a lovely modern base for your room and can warm it up with rustic accents, for instance chunky wood tables, lots of natural textiles such as wool and/ or cotton for rugs, pillows and throw, etc, add plants, wood shelves with lots of books to add some personal touches as well. I will post some pictures if you like. This article might help too. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/10-rustic-design-details-anyone-could-add-to-home-213398

adeieso thanked galnoir
  • galnoir
    3 years ago

adeieso thanked galnoir
  • PRO
    Inside Storey Ltd
    3 years ago

I would suggest moving your pictures along the wall to go above your couch, and above your sideboard create a picture gallery of frames placing them nicely around your lamp so they are balanced. I would mount your television to the wall above your entertainment unit. You could place more ornaments on the top like you already have in colours to tie in with your pictures. Having your television at eye level takes up the space on your wall making it balanced. At the moment you just have a big blank space and I wouldn't put artwork above a TV. Find an artwork to hang on adjacent wall. Try www.endemicworld.co.nz. Consider a black coffee table to compliment the black couch. This would bring the couch into your interior scheme so it's not standing out like a sore thumb which your not liking. Choose one like the Titan from Nood it's on sale right now for $199. It's a good choice because it isn't solid or heavy, has a smokey glass top and you can see through the legs, it's modern to go with the rest of your scheme. I like the idea of the big grey rug, shag pile will add warmth and make it cosy. But make it warm grey or if your feeling bold choose a bright colour from your art. Bunnings actually has some really nice ones at the moment - (Luxe - Short shag pile and the Hilton has a longer shag pile). You could add more textured cushions repeating the colours in your prints, CITTA have really nice ones in their new collection, try cotton velvet, and warm textured ones to make the room feel cosy. If you can find a shaggy one to match the rug that would look good. In your accessories choose warm colours that are already in your prints to make the room feel cosy. Perhaps pick 1 or 2 colours from your art and use tones of those colours instead of contrasting colours, for your cushions and accessories. Using different tones of one colour or colours next to each other on the colour wheel can be softer and easier on the eye which is what you want for a cosy room. I don't think it matters if you mix up canvases and frames in one room, just have your canvases in one section together and your framed art in another section together if that makes sense. Hope that's been helpful!

adeieso thanked Inside Storey Ltd
  • KK1000
    3 years ago
    Where is the Tv in relation to sofa it's not clear.
    adeieso thanked KK1000
  • galnoir
    3 years ago

adeieso thanked galnoir
  • adeieso
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lounge Room Dilemma · More Info

Hi. Thanks for all your suggestions. Keep 'em coming! Someone asked where the tv was as it wasn't clear in my earlier photos. Here it is!

• KK1000
    3 years ago
    Thank you , and to know litle bit more about you and the house can you tell me how old are you (approximately) and do you have a separate dining, do you need that window next to the buffet for light , would it be to dark if you had something in front of it. Sorry to ask all this but it just helps instead of guessing.
    adeieso thanked KK1000
  • Ann B
    3 years ago
    Hi. I think your living room is really nice and spacious, and I like your black leather couch. Certainly there is ample wall space for art. Anything over the couch may need to be simple so as not to clash with the two canvases over the buffet (unless you were moving them to another wall). I agree that a large rug on floor would look good and ground the sitting area. I would also add a timber coffee table or glass w/timber legs (will tie in nicely to the lamp you have). Drape a throw over one end of the couch and add a few cushions in your chosen colours and I think it will pull together nicely. Maybe choose a rug first, then art, then any additional furniture and soft furnishings. Here are some photos as suggestions. Good luck and please keep us posted!
    adeieso thanked Ann B
  • Ann B
    3 years ago
    Sorry, looks like the photos didn't send. I'll try again later.
  • Ann B
    3 years ago
    Some more ideas.
    adeieso thanked Ann B
  • adeieso
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I do like that table! And yes I would like/need to keep the window near the buffet for the added light. I would probably change the prints above the buffet to colours that are perhaps a little softer so I don't necessarily need to keep those colours going within that room. I think blue ottoman (which is not normally kept in this room) and the current prints are giving the impression I am going with a "blue theme". Although I do love the blue, I am open to going with a different colour theme which may soften the room. I'm loving all your suggestions. Am new to Houzz and I think this is fabulous!

• KK1000
    3 years ago
    Hi again, I think a cluster of small pendant lights in the corner above the sofa would be nice since you don't have a good spot for a floor lamp. A large rug at least 2x3 m, in pale blue/grey colour and a coffee table. I was thinking that putting the tv in front of the window and moving the armchair to the right of the sofa would create cosier sitting area. You could have buffet on the at the moment empty wall next to the TV. Maybe some nice shelfs above the buffet for displaying things or books would be nice.
    adeieso thanked KK1000
  • KK1000
    3 years ago
    Your choice of artwork is fine a simple frame would finish them nicely , then you could hang them above the sofa and add couple colourful cushions.
    adeieso thanked KK1000
  • KK1000
    3 years ago
    Some rug ideas
    adeieso thanked KK1000
  • LesleyH
    3 years ago
    Cushions and a throw will soften the black lounge. Need large artwork above it as well as it is very stark.
    adeieso thanked LesleyH
  • Ann B
    3 years ago
    Ah yes, I did think blue was your colour. So what soft colours do you like? Pink, pale green? A more neutral palette?
    adeieso thanked Ann B
  • adeieso
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I do like a neutral palette. I don't mind the mint green, dusty pinks/grey & softer blues. I think that's part of my problem. I like lots of different styles!

• PRO
    Cordony Designs
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Make the rug the statement piece! We recently styled this property and have been bombarded with questions where its from. Check out Bayliss Rugs or order through us and we can help determine the perfect size for the space too.

For the coffee table- stay away from the white "cold theme". The coffee table pictured is from La Maison (also can be purchased from us).

Muttama Road, Artarmon · More Info
    To get in contact: 1300 669 590 or kahlia@cordonydesigns.com.au

adeieso thanked Cordony Designs
  • adeieso
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! If I frame a couple of prints for above the couch, what colour frame might look best. White, black or perhaps a timber frame?

• KK1000
    3 years ago
    You could frame your existing canvases with 5 inch white matting and narrow black frame.
  • Ann B
    3 years ago
    I think that whether you use timber or black frame depends upon the print itself, but I really like black frames. Never white, but that's just me. In my home, our landscapes have timber frames, abstracts either have a black frames or are unframed (depending on size). And I think it's important to only choose pieces that move you, regardless of colours, etc. hope this helps.
  • LesleyH
    3 years ago
    A thin black frame ,looks contemporary.