jumper22

Belgard pavers around a pool - any complaints?

Tenesque Designs
7 years ago

I think we've made the decision to use Belgard pavers around our pool, probably in the Urbana or Lafitt shapes. It'll be a medium gold/tan color (Carriage House) and I wondered how hot they will get in our direct southern sun, as well as if it's terribly rough on the feet. Who has Belgard pavers around their pool and are there any pros/cons you've experienced?

Comments (7)

• 5birdy
    7 years ago

We used Belgard pavers around our pool in a similar large style and really love them. I took home samples of different colors and left them out in the sun to test the "hotness" here in So CA. The darker colors were definitely hotter. Chose the light tan color Montecito but in true summer you still need flip flops to comfortably walk on, or seating where you can lift your feet off ground. Our pavers were tumbled to look "old" and there are small tiny granules. The surface is rougher than our concrete section. Concrete is definitely cooler and less scratchy to walk on barefoot, less expensive but gets cracks and definitely not as pretty. Glad we have both actually! HTH

• Tenesque Designs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thanks very much!

• PRO
    Chris Miazga
    7 years ago

I have installed both of the pavers you are talking about. Most people do not like the larger gaps of the Urbana. Lafitt has very small gaps and they actually have two different textures available, at least in our area. The Lafitt Grana is the smoothest and easiest on the feet. If you want he size and color of the Urbana, without the larger gaps, the Catalina is a good alternative. Same size as the Urbana but they fit closer together. Hope this helps.

• Mary Lynn Crandall
    10 months ago

5birdy, I realize this is an old thread, but I wondered if you could tell me how the belgard Montecito has worked out for you so far? We are considering it for two small driveways and two walkways. One of the walkways is for our trashcans. Although I love the color, I'm concerned about marks and dirty really showing, and am concerned about maintenance.

• 5birdy
    10 months ago

Hi Mary Lynn, the Belgard Montecito worked out well for us in hot dry Southern CA. Don't know about other wetter or colder areas. We chose not to seal it to preserve the Old World look. Are you planning on parking cars on it? We did not use it like that so I can't comment but would be wary of tire marks, which our concrete driveway did get. At that price we gingerly walked on it! We used a large heavy duty mat to protect from stains around the BBQ grill area. Perhaps you could mix the look using both Belgard and concrete. Here's a recent pic. Hope that helps!

• Mary Lynn Crandall
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Thank you so much for your response, 5birdy! Your pool area is beautiful. From what I'm looking at the samples in our area, the color appears much lighter, more cream like (although I know samples can be deceiving). I prefer the color of your stone. From what I have read, the color of Belgard products can vary significantly depending on the region, as it's locally made?

I'm on the Central Coast California, so the weather is a little milder than yours, but still nice. So we aren't concerned about the weather so much. Yes, a car would be parked in each driveway so there IS a concern about tire marks on the driveways. And a portion of it is under an arbutus tree, which is messy for much of the year. So perhaps we need something darker, but I have to say, I do love the color I see in your photo! Thank you for sharing!

Sponsored