gammyof2

Electic plugs

gammyof2
7 years ago

My issue isn't as serious as most and I feel a bit funny to even ask this but, I am a bit of a detail fanatic. I need help from the pros to answer this question. I want to add paddle switches on the top half of the wall and the regular round ones on the bottom. I am adding bronze in the kitchen and bathrooms because of the dark bronze details in this areas. In the rest of the home I will do a light beige plug and paint plates same as trim color (cream white), or wall cover especially on the bottom plugs so they will hopfully disappear. The wall color is Hilton Head cream. I had a male friend of mine tell me it would look like I've done something wrong. I don't like the look of the square plugs in the plug in outlet. I know this my seem silly but every litte detail matters to me. And I am questioning myself now . Most people are in awe of my homes but I now am confused. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thank you!

Lisa

Comments (22)

• PRO
    WW Love Your Home
    7 years ago

Okay so here in Florida the light switches, dimmers and outlets are always matched up to the color of the baseboards, doors and door casings. So that means most of time the outlets are white. Think of it this way, if you are using bronze door hardware, plumbing fixtures and light fixtures all the metals should match. Then stop there, do not match outlets to the metals used in the space.

• PRO
    WW Love Your Home
    7 years ago

The goal in design is to create harmony throughout a space and not visual chaos. Keeping the metals one finish, walls one color, and molding one color will create a rhythm. That rhythm is then repeated throughout your home which will then create harmony and balance.

• gammyof2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What is your feeling on a light beige paddle switch for upper and the regular round light beige for bottom. Thank you for your answer. I too feel this about the colors. But I am adding bronze in kitchen and bathrooms because house is a traditional rustic. But the light beige in the rest. I guess I'm asking about mixing the two plug shapes more so than color. Is it in your option to switch them. Oblong paddle tops and regular rounds in bottom. Thank you again.

• acm
    7 years ago

I'm confused by your use of "upper" and "lower" -- are you talking about wall switches and baseboard outlets? In the same room? Because I think nobody would ever notice what kid of outlets you use unless they're at eye level.

3-Way Lutron Diva Dimmers · More Info

RECEPTACLE 15A SINGLE TAMPER PROOF SELF GROUNDING ALMOND (8 Each) · More Info

• gammyof2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sorry yes, wasn't sure how to explanation properly. That is what I was thinking too but when my friend said that it would look like I was making a mistake I thought I woukd ask the question and make my decision what you all have to say. Thank you!

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

I too prefer the round plugs. I have these friends

paired with these friends
    and these
    all in my kitchen. Though not all visible at the same time.

Most people will not be turning on your lights or plugging things in. They will be looking at the big picture. So if you would like it, go for it. Your friends, male or female, can have their opinion of course but here is one random stranger who says it won't be noticed!

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Side-note: don't you wish we could go back in time and advise whomever came up with the three pronged plug design to turn that bottom one upside down or sideways so our outlets don't look so horrified! :-0

• gammyof2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol, right!! Thanks so much.

• PRO
    WW Love Your Home
    7 years ago

Yes back then (up to the 90's) it was not about innovation but more about basic function.

• suedonim75
    7 years ago

All of mine were installed with the ground plug up, and it drives me nuts. I want to turn them all around.

• suedonim75
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Lindsey, you could give them little mustaches, lol.

• gammyof2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol, too funny.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Yes, that makes them outraged instead of horrified. Righteous indignation is an emotion I can get behind!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

Good grief this is some weird discussion I happen to like mine to disappear so I use Lutron plugs and plates to match as close as possible to walls IMO these are a necessity not a design element .

• acm
    7 years ago

Sure, up at eye level I mostly want them to disappear, which will get you back to the squares. But down by the floor, if they're close to wall color, nobody is looking.

Brag pics · More Info

• gammyof2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OMG!! I have found plugs that will charge your phones, have night light built in to them, are kid / tamper resistance. I have hit the mother load of choices. Going with bronze in kitchen, bathrooms, and light beige all the rest.

This is the wall behind the sink. The plugs I am switching out to bronze. Bottom picture is the wall color and trim color. Floor is a wood look but most is covered by paper we put down to protect it while working on it. The rug in bathroom is just to protect floor not keeping that in there either.
    So going dark bronze all over house would look terrible. Thank you so much for all your advice, it helped alot.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Kid proof plugs are required by code where I live.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

Take a look at what Legrand offers. I did my entire renovation with the great product.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/products/query/legrand/nqrwns

gammyof2 thanked JudyG Designs
  • gammyof2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow so cool. I wish they would bring that show back I want that. It had so many neat things the normal person who isn't in remodeling or design could see and know what was out there. Maybe when I build a house one day instead of just touch up a few things I can really have fun and get into this who decorating thing.

• PRO
    Legrand, North America
    7 years ago

Hi there!

While Legrand does not carry round outlets, we have some beautiful solutions to what you are looking for! Please see below for some of our suggestions.

The adorne collection by Legrand carries white outlets: http://bit.ly/2lE4c7q

We also have bronze wall plates from the adorne collection to match accents in your home: http://bit.ly/2m41ydb

The radiant collection from Legrand carries the cream switches and wall plate you were looking for: http://bit.ly/2mOGHdy

The radiant collection also features cream outlets to match: http://bit.ly/2mVfaX7

For more information, please visit http://www.legrand.us/. Let us know if you have any questions!

Thank you,

The Legrand Team

gammyof2 thanked Legrand, North America
  • gammyof2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes we are using your brand. The one thing we can not find is the bronze in the night light. Do you make that in bronze? That will go in the master bath but it has to be a GFI plug. I like the light beige or some call it almond.