jerriblank

SUB-ZERO Fridge... "Built-In" vs "Integrated"

Jerri Blank
5 years ago

Does anyone know firsthand what the difference is between the "built-in" and the "integrated" Sub-Zero refrigerators? Do they look completely different when PANELED?

Thank you!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

The integrated fridge is totally flush with the surrounding cabinets, while the built-in stand a bit "proud" of the cabinets. I think you can see the difference on their website.

• dan1888
    5 years ago

It looks to me that both can be installed flush when using panels. From the site the built-in has visible hinge clearance and larger gaps around the installation than the other cabinets. The integrated doesn't. The built-in has more interior space.

• M
    5 years ago

It probably also depends a lot on the floor plan. Do you have other cabinets directly adjacent? If so, integrated might look better. But if not, then the differences between a paneled built-in vs. integrated won't be all the noticeable. And if you can slightly recess the fridge into the wall, then it can be installed so that it is flush with the rest of the cabinets; so, it'll almost look the same as an integrated model.

I recommend you try finding a local show-room that has a built-in that is installed flush and then compare to what an integrated fridge looks like. You might like the look of the built-in, and the benefit is that you get a slightly larger capacity that way.

Jerri Blank thanked M
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

With fully integrated being a common choice at the higher end of kitchen redesigns, I would suggest it is best to avoid paneling a built-in refrigerator. With an integrated refrigerator you can't tell the difference between a cupboard and a refrigerator. With a paneled built it, it looks like you applied paneling to a refrigerator, which I don't think looks great. I would opt for a stainless built in without hesitation- money saved, space gained.

Jerri Blank thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • wilson853
    5 years ago

Yes I know firsthand because I currently have both. Last kitchen I had a cabinetry paneled 48"built-in. I now have a 36" panel-ready built-in all refrigerator in a stainless FLUSH INSET installation and a cabinetry paneled integrated freezer on a separate wall, also flush inset. The stainless panel on my frig was a separate purchase from SZ and is not the same as purchasing a stainless SZ that comes from the factory with the door already attached. Mine sits flush with the adjacent inset pantries. I have seen regular proud installations in inset kitchens, but we preferred a flush install so went this route instead and purchased the separate stainless panel. It is installed just as a matching cabinet panel would be. If you have a skilled installer the side gaps are minimal. The top shelf is lower in the built-in models which works better for me and it is also about two cubic feet bigger than a 36" integrated unit. I was also afraid that a large heavy painted panel wouldn't hold up well over time, and wanted to break up the sea of white. Here's a side view and full frontal of my refrigerator.

Jerri Blank thanked wilson853
  • chispa
    5 years ago

Jerri, there have been several threads on this exact topic in the last year. I started one of them myself! Do a search here if you want to see more examples.

Jerri Blank thanked chispa
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Another thought--As wilson853 says, she has inset cabinetry. If you have overlay cabinets, it's probably not worth it to spend the extra money for a fully integrated fridge

Jerri Blank thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Jerri Blank
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between inset and overlay cabinetry?

• wilson853
    5 years ago

Inset doors and drawers sit inside the face frame of the cabinet. Overlay doors and drawers sit over the face frame so you don't see as much of the cabinet.

Jerri Blank thanked wilson853
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Hi Jerri, there are no dumb questions! wilson853 explained it, and I just want to add that all else being equal, you will pay more for inset cabinetry. It's more difficult to do right--the cabinet maker needs to be much more precise when crafting inset cabinets.

Jerri Blank thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • wilson853
    5 years ago

Jerri, here's some better examples of both built-in and integrated SZs with inset cabinets

Other than the first photo which is a regular stainless built-in SZ refrigerator standing proud (sitting forward) of the adjacent inset cabinets, the rest are flush installations.

Remodeled Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen Design Contest 13-14 Entries · More Info

Kitchen · More Info
    Timeless Transition · More Info

• Sam Goh
    5 years ago

Went and saw 2 SZ fridges yesterday, one integrated one built in - both 36's. I think the integrated required a 36 X 84 X 25 or 26" cabinet. Whereas the built in needed a 35.5 X 83.5 X regular base cabinet.

Not an expert here so take that as you will and hope it helps!

Jerri Blank thanked Sam Goh
  • Jerri Blank
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thank you everyone so much!!

• m111675
    5 years ago

Those are great photos above showing the differences. Note that for stainless built-ins, you'll pay more for flush inset rather than standard/proud install for the same unit. That's because to do the flush-inset, you have to get panel-ready and then separately get the stainless panels. For the standard/proud install, it comes as one unit, and is actually cheaper. Just another factor to consider. Flush-inset looks nice, but not sure whether it's worth it for a stainless built-in, especially in a kitchen with full overlay cabinets. What do you all think?

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

What's the difference in price of the various versions?

• wilson853
    5 years ago

The typical proud installation is designed for full overlay cabinets so no separate panel is necessary. The SZ 36" built-in, all refrigerator overlay model (like I have) is currently $1225 less than the regular stainless model with the pre-attached door. I spent $94 more to get a flush install, (Pro Grill + Door Panel with Pro Handle + Kickplate was $1319) so in the grand scheme, it wasn't very much more.

• m111675
    5 years ago
    For a 48 inch Subzero built-in, it can be about $820 more to get the flush-inset version versus the proud/standard version (both in stainless steel, with professional handle and louvered grill). Worth it to pay that much more for the same unit just for flush inset?
  • wilson853
    5 years ago

m111675, I just went to the SZ website. The basic panel ready 48" is $9645 + the Pro Louvered grill + Both stainless panels with Pro Handles + Stainless kick plate is $11,635. The regular stainless 48" SZ built in with Pro Handle is $11,485. If my math is correct, the flush install will run you $150 more, not $820.

• PRO
    GJCatranis Interiors
    2 years ago

I think I can break this down. Subzero appliances are all "built-in". They have 3 lines, Classic, Designer, and Pro.

The relevant, to this conversation, difference between the Classic and Designer are the hinges. The Designer hinges are fully concealed and articulated, and they don't need clearances on either side of the appliance. This allows for a tighter fit and less space on either side for hinge clearances. It created a more seamless and European look.

Classic: These can be installed 2 different ways: Standard (stands proud of the cabinets) or Inset (flush with cabinets/panels).

Designer: These are installed 1 way: Inset (flush with cabinets)

Here is a great article I found today that helped me.

https://www.designerappliances.com/blog/sub-zero-built-in-vs-integrated-refrigerator/

Another article from Subzero on the differences.

https://www.subzero-wolf.com/assistance/answers/sub-zero/common/built-invs-integrated-series-comparison.html

Sponsored