mordster

Slab Preparation

Robbi Zed
5 years ago

I am having a slab out down soon for the back of the house which has been demolished. The builder has left all the pre-existing bluestone footings an all the other concrete that he has jack-hammered up from the floor during the demo in 3 piles with what look like trenches around theses- resembling the said/soil minds used in slabs. The surface is all uneven as there are bits and pieces of hundreds of broken concrete /bluestones/rubbish etc. My guess is that he will just want to pack over the top of these with sand to get an even level before bagging and the pouring the concrete. Does this sound like normal practice? Or does the builder need to get all the excavated rubbish including broken stones, rubble etc. out of the site and then start to dig and make the mounds with the dirts/sand etc? What are the ramifications of leaving the rubble acting as the 'mounds' in the slab? Will this provide more stability for the slab later or cause problems? In the photo you can see what I mean by the rubble being used as the mounds for the slab and the clear bits for the footings

thanks in advance

Bob

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Mayfair Building Group
    5 years ago

Hello Bob,

I hope that is not the case at all???

Surely that is going to all get cleaned up first in prep for a layer of compacted rubble and then the footings dug out?

If this is all left and poured over it would appear not to be best practice and something we wouldn't do and I'm not sure what an engineer what think about this either?

Might be worth asking a few more question first!

Robbi Zed thanked Mayfair Building Group
  • Robbi Zed
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks @Mayfair Building Group. I have attached the bit on the engineer's plans that clearly states the site should be cleaned up and leveled etc. I suppose it is an attempt at cutting corners, money and time.

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

Saving his money and time now, may well cost you your money and time in the future if your slab is poured on an unstable base. Ensure that he follows the engineers direction for a clean and level surface before pouring the slab. Your engineer would be horrified. If he is prepared to do shoddy work at the start of the job you will need to keep a close eye on him and document and photograph everything.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

Robbi Zed thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • Robbi Zed
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks @Dr Retro House Calls That's a good idea to photograph everything. Is it something the building surveyor will get to see during his first inspection ? I'm hoping the surveyor comes out prior to any concrete pouring ?

• Robbi Zed
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@oklouise EXACTLY!